Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sick of unreliable VPS hosts, beware of these - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Sick of unreliable VPS hosts, beware of these

Comments

• darkshiredarkshire Member
    edited July 2014

isnt PaulVPS literally run by a 13 year old ?

@WellGrounded
    add Greenvalue**** to you list

• Guess he turned iver a few rocks to find those providers.

• darkshire said: isnt PaulVPS literally run by a 13 year old ?

No, the yougest mate in our team is 22.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • CakeyCakey Member

@hostnoob said:
    But make backups anyway!!

What if Ramnode is my backup?

I mean like, 06:28:26 up 293 days, 22:03, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

I love it.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Cakey said: What if Ramnode is my backup?

No matter how reliable a provider is, if the data is important to you in any way make a backup of it off-site just in case. Providers can't foresee the future and there are too many variables involved that are out of your provider's control. A few years ago there was a provider who spent thousands of dollars a month on off-site backups of client's data, but those backups were useless when they found out that were backing up corrupted data and the last good backup was 6 months back.

A good rule of thumb is that if you will be sad or lose sleep if the data is lost, make sure you have 3 copies somewhere. Here's an example of my backup scheme just for my personal stuff (i.e. family photos, documents/taxes, receipts, personal websites, scripts I've wrote, e-mails, etc...): http://blog.jmd.cc/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/jd_backups.png (my VM is also backed up weekly, for ease of restoration)

Thanked by 1DannyAlex
  • Thanks, PaulVPS issue has been fixed.

I don't see the logic of just going with the providers from the poll. Competition is good and new providers deserve a chance at proving themselves. When they mess that up then it should be known.

• emgemg Veteran
    edited July 2014

@n1kko said:
    So why don't you use a reliable provider?

Are you kidding? Why would you want to slaughter the goose that lays the golden eggs?

@WellGrounded is our canary in the mine. :-)

• @WellGrounded Just notice I was tagged as ElectricByte, I really hope PaulVPS could take over ElectricByte and improve the user satisfaction. :D

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@Cakey said:
    What if Ramnode is my backup?

:) Still take remote backups!

• WellGrounded said: I don't see the logic of just going with the providers from the poll. Competition is good and new providers deserve a chance at proving themselves. When they mess that up then it should be known.

There is truth in this. Every provider started somewhere. Once upon a time, each of the providers on the "top providers" poll was a new startup. If no-one bought when they were new and unproven, we wouldn't be here today.

• lazytlazyt Member
    edited July 2014

Am I too paranoid with backups east coast, west coast and Europe? Not counting the flash drive and dvd backups here and at my daughters.

• Cakey said: What if Ramnode is my backup?

Murphey's Law, bro

• lazyt said: Am I too paranoid with backups east coast, west coast and Europe? Not counting the flash drive and dvd backups here and at my daughters.

I don't understand paranoia like this. I just keep one copy at Backupsy and another in our fallout shelter.

Thanked by 2Maounique Lex
  • I have two backup servers at my home office plus offsite backup to a vps.

• ChuckChuck Member

I came here to see super cheap VPS. Saw this thread. Disappointed. Probably I won't see summerhost any time soon. Don't scare away $3/year VPS.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • CakeyCakey Member
    edited July 2014

@KuJoe said:

>

Don't worry, I have backups of just about every VPS I have (55 VPSes in total).

I normally back them up to each other and to more if it's something I actually want to keep in good shape such as my forum's backups.

Still, RamNode has been my favorite provider since I found them in Sep. 2012 (If I remember correctly)

• +1 for HostUS

Thanked by 1AlexanderM
  • CakeyCakey Member
    edited July 2014

sleddog said: I don't understand paranoia like this. I just keep one copy at Backupsy and another in our fallout shelter.

Well, for me losing a backup of my forum can be the cost of thousands of dollars and hours spent building it as I often rely on them to fetch things users has removed or corrupt stuff.

I keep 4 copies of every single backup (4 per day) for 90 days and 1 (1 per week) backups forever just incase, now that might be paranoid too but losing something that so many enjoy and not having anything to go back to isn't exactly too nice as to some my forum is what keeps them going.

And yes I have one MySQL slave and I move the backups to another dedicated server via private networking to then send out to different places so I don't mess with the main network.

• i83i83 Member

@Nick_A said:
    :) Still take remote backups!

Whoever you host with; make sure you have backups!

• xBytezxBytez Member

tr1cky said: Maybe they wanted to answer all the I/O tickets by posting one announcement, lol.

Yes, I opened a ticket about a refund anyways, it wasn't JUST the storage that was horrible.

• lazytlazyt Member

Forums on very specific subjects with a lot of research and documentation. It would take years to replace a lot of it the rest there are no references available now. Companies have been absorbed or just shut down.

Hey I have the servers with spare room on them. Why not use it?

• alexhalexh Member
    edited July 2014

@sleddog said:
    There is truth in this. Every provider started somewhere. Once upon a time, each of the providers on the "top providers" poll was a new startup. If no-one bought when they were new and unproven, we wouldn't be here today.

You seem to like defending new/unreliable providers a lot. Would you care to explain the reasoning behind potentially leading an individual into buying an unreliable service? I'm sure every host started at the bottom, but there's still things that set hosts apart from one-and-other, new or not.

Reprise Hosting is one of the worst hosts I've ever encountered. Setup time was double advertised, took 2 weeks trying to resolve IPMI/KVM and never did as a result of server-side configuration (I'm 99% sure at this point they disabled PS/2 emulation in BIOS). Support eventually stopped replying for a few days and I cancelled. Now I've learned that low-end dedicated servers simply aren't worth it; The ~$40 I spent on nothing here could have been used for roughly a year, or more, of payments towards a VPS.

I just feel extremely stupid having handed money to somebody who seemingly had no intent of providing the advertised service; I don't want anybody else to feel this way. It really sucks.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • That's the purpose of this forum surely. We can name and shame the guff that doesn't provide an adequate service.

Thanked by 1Pwner
  • alexhalexh Member

@ricardo said:
    That's the purpose of this forum surely. We can name and shame the guff that doesn't provide an adequate service.

I feel that's fair, too. These hosts chose to enter a low-end market, and everyone buying hosting in this market SHOULD be questioning the hosts, given the history and nature of the business. If nobody were to provide accurate reviews about these companies, and it were to be swept under the rug so to speak, we'd all be multiple-instance victims of bad service.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@alexh said:
    I'm sure every host started at the bottom, but there's still things that set hosts apart from one-and-other, new or not.

Is there? There are definitely warning signs when not to buy at times, but as for something that sets new hosts apart, I can't think of anything that made Ramnode and Iniz (then StormVZ) stand out when they first started out.

• it is summer time, what did you expect

• BoxodeBoxode Member

Nekki said: Ramnode and Iniz (then StormVZ) stand out when they first started out.

Well, y'know besides the 5-6 digit startup funding.

• alexhalexh Member
    edited July 2014

@Nekki said:
    Is there? There are definitely warning signs when not to buy at times, but as for something that sets new hosts apart, I can't think of anything that made Ramnode and Iniz (then StormVZ) stand out when they first started out.

Yes, brother.

Their websites looked and felt more professional than others. The design of both remains unique, specifically INIZ' currently, and their content was never lacking. Nick published KB articles that were insightful and helpful, and led me to believe staff there were initially knowledgeable. Furthermore, support was seemingly always fast. These attributes are easy to pick out, and differ heavily from many competitors.

These are the same reasons that made MediaTemple, Rackspace, and Linode popular. Good performance, good support, and a clean interface for management; Most other hosts don't have these.

• and this happen when you look for the cheapest of the cheapest.

quality is not so cheap

• Thanks for the PM's bringing this thread to my attention.

We've replied to your tickets at least once if you're on an affected node (down to only one node in San Jose) but asking for an update every 2 hours will not help. We will provide an update once something is available.

At this time it's out of my control but as the customer service manager, I'm doing what I can to follow up with the tech team. Sorry for inconvenience.