Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who can colo raspery pi ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Who can colo raspery pi ?

dnwkdnwk Member
edited June 2014 in Requests

Who can colo raspery pi within US? IPv4 and v6

Comments

• Unfortunately Edis has not been accepting Pi colocation for over 6 months now. The link on their website does not go anywhere. My questions on when they could again be accepting Pi's have remained unanswered ...

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited June 2014

@rajprakash thanks for the mention. We rent Raspberries though, don't colo them. We make some hardware mods to the Pi, so coloing would not be appropriate.

@dnwk this is the link - https://www.fitvps.com/p/35

• sc754sc754 Member

Nice... I might email them to see if they'll host my radxa rock xD

• sc754sc754 Member

@wlambrechts said:
    Unfortunately Edis has not been accepting Pi colocation for over 6 months now. The link on their website does not go anywhere. My questions on when they could again be accepting Pi's have remained unanswered ...

Bugger

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited June 2014

@dnwk we'll do it as long as you have a case (not a bare pi). ipv4 only right now. Dallas, TX Corexchange.

• lhobaslhobas Member

PCextreme offers Raspberry Pi colocation in the Netherlands (I have one there, stable connectivity, no-nonsense)
    http://raspberrycolocation.com

When I stumbled upon Kryutek today, I noticed they also offer Pi colocation, no personal experience though.
    https://kryutek.co.uk/plans

• SwordfishBESwordfishBE Member
    edited June 2014

In Belgium: https://www.fusa.be/nl/hosting/special_colocation 1,50 Euro + VAT / month

• sc754sc754 Member
    edited June 2014

@lhobas said:
    PCextreme offers Raspberry Pi colocation in the Netherlands (I have one there, stable connectivity, no-nonsense)

When I stumbled upon Kryutek today, I noticed they also offer Pi colocation, no personal experience though.
    https://kryutek.co.uk/plans

Thanks for the info, I'm hoping they'll colocate my radxa rock at PCextreme

• @sc754 said:
    Thanks for the info, I'm hoping they'll colocate my radxa rock at PCextreme

I'm almost sure they won't. I asked them if it was possible to upgrade my bandwith and they said it wasn't.

• cassacassa Member

@lhobas said:

I can still get one colocated for free >;D

• exp82exp82 Member

sorry im little confused with this raspberry? what this raspberry can do? can its host a server? running a vpn? or be a backup server?

• @exp82 : What's a Raspberry Pi?
    @AutoSnipe : if you don't know what it is.. you can't afford it...
    @LETCommunity : Laughs

• nerouxneroux Member

Not really .....

@exp82, yes it can perform the things you mentioned. It admittedly has less computing power than the average smartphone these days, but it is still working fine for basic tasks.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • I think one good use for the RPi (which I haven't tried myself) is to fully encrypt its SDCard and use it for a secure VPN. Then colocate in a safe datacenter (Austria, Switzerland, etc.) and tunnel your home connection through it. I think that would be one way to gain back our privacy from the NSA. If you set strong enough encryption they can't get your key even if they gain physical access to it. Also use in-memory filesystem and readonly SD Card.
    Certainly much better than OpenVZ where the key can be easily obtained from an LET provider.

• neroux said: Not really .....

Someone didn't get the joke :P

Thanked by 1AutoSnipe
  • @neroux .. if ya havent seen it..

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gVhZT1tHzg

• nerouxneroux Member

0xdragon said: Someone didn't get the joke :P

There was a joke? Really, where?

elwebmaster said: I think one good use for the RPi (which I haven't tried myself) is to fully encrypt its SDCard and use it for a secure VPN. Then colocate in a safe datacenter (Austria, Switzerland, etc.) and tunnel your home connection through it. I think that would be one way to gain back our privacy from the NSA. If you set strong enough encryption they can't get your key even if they gain physical access to it. Also use in-memory filesystem and readonly SD Card. Certainly much better than OpenVZ where the key can be easily obtained from an LET provider.

Agreed, as far as the privacy aspect is concerned (shared system vs. encrypted dedicated system). However I miss the use of the VPN scenario above, even if everything is encrypted the outgoing data stream can be still compromised (unless its HTTPS, but then why a VPN in the first place).

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @neroux said:
    There was a joke? Really, where?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gVhZT1tHzg

• PwnerPwner Member

@neroux said:
    Agreed, as far as the privacy aspect is concerned (shared system vs. encrypted dedicated system). However I miss the use of the VPN scenario above, even if everything is encrypted the outgoing data stream can be still compromised (unless its HTTPS, but then why a VPN in the first place).

Alas, all us United States users will still be screwed by the NSA even if we try this method. Our ISP can still track everything we do and will gladly hand it all over to the NSA without batting an eyelash. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if a few European ISPs would do the same.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

I can colo rpi, 100mbps port, premium bandwidth blend, /29 IPv4 and /64 IPv4, PM me.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2014

Pwner said: Our ISP can still track everything we do and will gladly hand it all over to the NSA without batting an eyelash.

Yes they will track that you are establishing an encrypted VPN connection to an IP address in Switzerland. No way to keep that secret, but who cares? (And I hope you're not THAT clueless to claim "all encryption is broken by the NSA anyway").

• nerouxneroux Member

@rm_ said:
    Yes they will track that you are establishing an encrypted VPN connection to an IP address in Switzerland. No way to keep that secret, but who cares? (And I hope you're not THAT clueless to claim "all encryption is broken by the NSA anyway").

I just wonder which type of site would actually require such precautions (and no, I am not trying to argue with the if-you-dont-have-anything-to-hide argument). Also, a full system encryption - as suggested by elwebmaster - wouldnt be necessary in this case.

edited June 2014

neroux said: I just wonder which type of site would actually require such precautions

I was answering the myth of "if you're in the US, there's nothing you can do".

Now, to go back to your previous post:

neroux said: However I miss the use of the VPN scenario above, even if everything is encrypted the outgoing data stream can be still compromised

Point is that it becomes "outgoing" only in a supposedly freer country, where there's supposedly no government surveillance and censorship at least at the immediate uplinks and vincinity.

(unless its HTTPS, but then why a VPN in the first place).

Because for example that's why: http://s.lowendshare.com/5/1403863781.604.2014-06-27T100840Z-skk.png

• nerouxneroux Member

rm_ said: I was answering the myth of "if you're in the US, there's nothing you can do".

Agreed.

rm_ said: Point is that it becomes "outgoing" only in a supposedly freer country, where there's supposedly no government surveillance and censorship at least at the immediate uplinks and vincinity.

Agreed as well. My point was only that the full storage encryption is not going to help in case of a VPN.

I am obviously missing something, can you elaborate?

edited June 2014

neroux said: I am obviously missing something, can you elaborate?

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/ has been deemed not Orthodox enough by the Russian government, hence Rostelecom is now MITMing HTTPS connections to it using their own certificate (rt.ru) to show the same thing they show on HTTP: http://s.lowendshare.com/5/1403864626.226.2014-06-27T102321Z-skk2.png
    Along with hundreds of others, as well as some random CloudFlare IPs. That's why some of us don't even bother to browse anything "directly" anymore, instead always using a VPN/proxy on a VPS or dedi.
    HTTPS is not the solution against censorship, so there is a use case to route HTTPS via a VPN too.

• nerouxneroux Member

rm_ said: That's why some of us don't even bother to browse anything "directly" anymore, instead always using a VPN/proxy on a VPS.

So you were referring to cases where an ISP is breaking SSL to intercept the traffic. Well, thats a different story .... my comment about VPN and SSL was for "regular" scenarios ;)

• Mark_RMark_R Member

Couldn't the hosting provider where you setup that VPN see what you are doing on their routers? So far if you really want privacy with a vpn then you have to pay the provider with fake IDs and untrackable currency just to make sure that they can't link anything to you if they decide to spy on you. It is alot of hassle just for a little privacy..

• nerouxneroux Member

Mark_R said: Couldn't the hosting provider where you setup that VPN see what you are doing on their routers?

Precisely.

Mark_R said: So far if you really want privacy with a vpn then you have to pay the provider with fake IDs and untrackable currency just to make sure that they can't link anything to you if they decide to spy on you. It is alot of hassle just for a little privacy..

Even then, the authorities can simply go the other way round. Once they determined you are going through a particular server and managed to get the necessary access they simply filter the outgoing traffic.