Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

USA north-east with ipv6 - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

USA north-east with ipv6

13»

Comments

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Francisco said: qcow2 is great if you're in full control of all of the data inside the VM's and you know you aren't ever going to use more than the physical media sizes, allowing you to cheapen on disks. For production though that's just scary.

Yes, I'm aware of the qcow2 uses, I do use it at home for my Windows Home Server KVM running in Debian on my gazillion TB nas :P But I was addressing @William and his security issue, thought he might know something I had not heard about, and I doubt EDIS is overselling disk as their reason for using it, but you never know.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I have no knowledge of VPS, so that's why I asked. So, they are like folders?

• michelemmichelem Member
    edited June 2012

How should this work?
    The old drive is a file on the HDD, the new drive is a file on the HDD - how should this be merged with your old data? This cannot be done by dd or similar (yes, we tried this.).

@William are you using sparse files? Mount them from FreeBSD host/cd, then dump(8), then restore(8). I can provide the actual commands. See http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/backup-basics.html for details.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@netomx said: I have no knowledge of VPS, so that's why I asked. So, they are like folders?

LVM is actual partitions so the user is assigned all of the space upfront.

Francisco

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Francisco said: LVM is actual partitions

thank you :)

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@netomx said: I have no knowledge of VPS, so that's why I asked. So, they are like folders?

You really don't need to understand VPS for this one, just LVM, and this is the greatest resource I've found about LVM http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/

But as @Francisco said, but maybe a little clearer to give you a better understanding, most hosts create a Physical Volume, and then individual Logical Volumes for each VPS, which allocate your space and it is there for you whether you use it or not.

Thanked by 2netomx Francisco
  • @Francisco said: Yep.

We have a fall back DC in North Carolina if coloat suddenly changes their mind on our contract.

Francisco

Colo@ is awesome. Ryan and gang know their stuff. You've made a wise choice.

@Coastercraze said: Colo@ is awesome. Ryan and gang know their stuff. You've made a wise choice.

We used to have an old project of mine with wiresix when they were still growing (well before colo@ started). He ran a good show and minus us pissing off GNAX it was a very solid service. :)

Francisco

• @Francisco said: It doesn't need to, the drives are backwards compatible.

This is not about if they are compatible, but about the speed.
    (A 8x1TB SATA2 Constellation (7,2k) RAID10 does around 180MB/s - 8x450GB SAS2 (10k) R10 does around 450MB/s - 8x1TB SAS2 Constellation (7,2k) does around 250MB/s)

@miTgiB said: Maybe you should buy better hardware then ;)

Sure, what would you like, DELLs which randomly fail, Supermicro with their crappy IPMI which doesnt work or Desktop PCs smashed into 2U cases?
    There is a reason why HP is the largest Server vendor in the world.

@Francisco said: The only reason you wouldn't use LVM is if you're wanting to oversell your space. qcow2 images are sparse files so they only allocate the upper max of the space your VM has ever used (not 100% sure if they shrink as well, maybe qcow2+ does that?).

Again: we do not use qcow(2), also they fully allocate the space as well at creation (not sure of it is just zeroes, but the file is full size)

Thanked by 2Ash_Hawkridge klikli
  • gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@William - Thomas Krenn servers can be the alternative

@William said: Again: we do not use qcow(2), also they fully allocate the space as well at creation (not sure of it is just zeroes, but the file is full size)

If this is all true then you have no reason to use it over an LVM :) LVM is your friend and well worth it if you are able to adjust your platform to support it. I know you aren't the coder/developer, but forward it as a potential feature.

@William said: This is not about if they are compatible, but about the speed.

(A 8x1TB SATA2 Constellation (7,2k) RAID10 does around 180MB/s - 8x450GB SAS2 (10k) R10 does around 450MB/s - 8x1TB SAS2 Constellation (7,2k) does around 250MB/s)

We use 8 x 1.5TB drives and get 500M/sec sequential writes without issues and around write 1600 iops with the onboard cache. What RAID cards are you using or is that a little more than you can say?

Francisco

• @Francisco said: What RAID cards are you using or is that a little more than you can say?

HP onboard, i think its called P410
    (Do note that my speeds are without any cache)

@gbshouse said: @William - Thomas Krenn servers can be the alternative

No, they are rebranded Supermicro/Tyan anyway

• michelemmichelem Member
    edited June 2012

Please stop fighting over hardware or system solutions here; as interesting as it is, please open a separate thread for that.

@William Please take a position on the dump(8) and restore(8) option.

@DimeCadmium Some vendors may provide phony SLAs. Some do not. OVH, Hetzner, buyvm do not. I see SLAs as accountability commitments: "If I fail, I take responsibility for it."

@Francisco your plans and business approach look good. Any plans for Chicago or NY/Scranton or that north-eastern area next months?

• @michelem said: @William Please take a position on the dump(8) and restore(8) option.

Should work fine inside the container, will not work on the hostnode.

@michelem said: @Francisco your plans and business approach look good. Any plans for Chicago or NY/Scranton or that north-eastern area next months?

Atlanta is as close as we're going to get. NY is too rich for our blood and Chicago didn't have enough choices. Scranton is pretty much burstnet and I don't really want to host there.

Francisco

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

@michelem

We will have IPv6 in our New York location in the next 2 weeks. Email me directly at [email protected] and Ill give you a deal you cant refuse :)

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

@Francisco said: NY is too rich for our blood

Fran talk to me, and Ill change your mind on that. Rethink your ATL location and come to NY :-D

@CVPS_Chris said: Fran talk to me, and Ill change your mind on that. Rethink your ATL location and come to NY :-D

I dunno, the guys are pretty set on coloat's pricing and setup. If you think 'crossing can do something similar drop me a PM

Fran

• BassHostBassHost Member
    edited June 2012

We have some available spots in ashburn va. Our new solution hasn't been launched publicly but we are taking private orders. PM me if you are interested.

Also we have a SLA.

• @Francisco said: Atlanta is as close as we're going to get. NY is too rich for our blood and Chicago didn't have enough choices. Scranton is pretty much burstnet and I don't really want to host there.

I think I asked you guys a few months ago if you were planning on opening an east coast location and the answer was no at that time. So glad that you've changed your mind!

I'm not sure what specific locations you've looked at, but... Natcoweb, Choopa, FortressITX and Interserver might be able to offer you some good pricing in NY.

@flam316 said: I'm not sure what specific locations you've looked at, but... Natcoweb, Choopa, FortressITX and Interserver might be able to offer you some good pricing in NY.

I had enough people bugging me for an east coast and the offer was good enough to allow us to grow with it :) I've checked with all of those providers and none of them have reasonable addons for bandwidth. At $1300 for a rack i'd expect more than 100mbit for transit.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: At $1300 for a rack i'd expect more than 100mbit for transit.

If you want some in ashburn ... contact me lol.

@BassHost said: If you want some in ashburn ... contact me lol.

Who's the provider over there? uberbandwidth?

Fran

• @Francisco said: Who's the provider over there? uberbandwidth?

thats Asheville NC. Ashburn VA is awesome ;0

• BassHostBassHost Member
    edited June 2012

@Francisco said: Who's the provider over there? uberbandwidth?

level 3, sawis, nlayer, cogent, tinet ... and more in the bgp mix. You can see when we launch our ashburn service in a week.

• I meant savvis.