Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

USA north-east with ipv6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

USA north-east with ipv6

michelemmichelem Member
edited June 2012 in Providers

Hello folks,

Any recommendation for an unmanaged VPS with these requirements?

• USA East Coast, north (Chicago, Pennsylvania, or up)
  • IPv6
  • very reliable, preferably with SLA
  • 512MB or up

And nice to have:

• full virtualization (KVM or XEN HVM) – we favor running FreeBSD on it
  • supports upgrades

Edis.at seemed a good match, but we eventually excluded them because their KVM plans are short with storage, do not support upgrades, do not claim any SLA and support is office hours only.

Several vendors are now moving to KVM, but many do not mention BSD/custom ISO support on the website, so locating them with search engines is hard.

Tips?

Comments

• EDIS is a no-go for the reasons mentioned above (latent support, poor storage, no vps upgrades, no SLA).

• klikliklikli Member

Linode?

• @michelem said: and support is office hours only

Support is NOT office hours only, Phone is reachable 24/7.

• Bitcable are quite nice. They have an OpenBSD ISO.

Hostig also have a BSD ISOs (at least in LA) and it seems like according to this thread they have IPv6 native in NC.

• flyfly Member

i recommend hostigation / bitcable.
    ipv6, kvm, great support.
    the only catch for bitcable is no irc whatsoever.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@ihatetonyy said: Hostig also have a BSD ISOs

Native IPv6 in LA and Charlotte, and ISO library is the same at each location, and includes FreeBSD, OpenBSD and NetBSD

• huluwahuluwa Member

@liam said: Virginia: Bitcable

Not a lowend without coupons  ̄﹁ ̄

• @William: in their customary one-liners they said "Yes, 9-5 GMT+1 only - No guaranteed response time."

@liam: when I asked for SLA they didn't mention that option.

@ihatetonyy: bitcable was candidate, excluded for too little bandwidth (competitors can quickly lock you up by producing that tiny bw). Hostigation is borderline bw-wise too.

USA is supposed to have great infrastructure, market competition and low taxes. How come EU providers beat it so bad specs-wise?

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited June 2012

@michelem said: @William: in their customary one-liners they said "Yes, 9-5 GMT+1 only - No guaranteed response time."

Yes, i know that (i wrote it, lol) - This does however not mean that no one picks the phone up at night :)

@michelem said: @liam: when I asked for SLA they didn't mention that option.

Yes we don't, SLA is worthless anyway - EVERY provider has a catch in the Tos, from Linode to Hetzner.

• innyainnya Member

Corgitech (vmware) in NYC is good. But they are not doing any promotion.
    You can always send email or chat with them.
    last offer was $7/512ram 20G disk 1000g bw.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

We're loading up in Atlanta in the coming month if you're not in a real rush.

Francisco

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Francisco said: Atlanta in the coming month

Which coming month is the key question when dealing with your sense of time and don't say Soon™

Thanked by 1klikli
    edited June 2012

@miTgiB said: hich coming month is the key question when dealing with your sense of time and don't say Soon™

@Jack said: He said 30 days to me but hey this is BuyVM so probably by next July we will have it.

YOU'VE JUST MADE AN ENEMY FOR LIFE!! :3

In all seriousness, ideally is this month, but might be a bit closer to next. Really, there isn't much stopping us from pushing boxes out the door right now and be selling by Friday.

EDIT - I guess one of the bigger things is IP space. We have some /24's that are still virgin blocks, but i'm waiting on ARIN to approve our next allocation. I got all of the paper work in before lunch so hopefully we get some word back in the morning, if not sooner.

Francisco

• @huluwa said: Not a lowend without coupons  ̄﹁ ̄

:-/

• innyainnya Member

@Francisco he said North East.
    So, Atlanta is South East.

@innya said: @Francisco he said North East.

So, Atlanta is South East.

a few ms to get what he wants exactly isn't that terrible.

But, fair enough :)

Francisco

Yep.

We have a fall back DC in North Carolina if coloat suddenly changes their mind on our contract.

Francisco

@liam said: Tims hunting ground :p, dacentec?

Considered but they didn't have enough of a blend so far. There was another one I can't remember the name for.

I prefer our options in Atlanta. Something more North would be cool but the prices are affordable and we have a frantastic network blend.

Francisco

@liam said: @francisco Would EGI not transfer your current pricing structure to NY/Boston?

The coloat blend does look nice though.

Egi had no problem honouring our bandwidth pricing, it's the power pricing. It was something like $2000/m for a rack in downtown NYC, no power.

If I'm paying $3k for 20A of power and some bandwidth, the staff would be massively pissed considering the prices coloat is offering us.

They highly recommended I didn't consider the offer as I think they're trying to renegotiate their pricing some.

Francisco

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@liam said: Tims hunting ground :p, dacentec?

Wait and see how discouraged he gets when the reality of East v West sets in. West Coast outsells East 3 to 1

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@liam said: Due to the Asians/Aussies?

I get a good amount of Aussies, but they don't have the population to amount to anything sizable, Asians are easily the majority, and I see a surprising amount of Europeans signing up for West Coast while East Coast has stock, so I assume they made a conscious choice.

• @miTgiB said: I see a surprising amount of Europeans signing up for West Coast while East Coast has stock, so I assume they made a conscious choice.

Maybe they just don't know the difference between east and west?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited June 2012

@miTgiB said: and I see a surprising amount of Europeans signing up for West Coast while East Coast has stock

That's really strange. I am wondering what's their main vps usage.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@DimeCadmium said: Maybe they just don't know the difference between east and west?

You'd think Los Angeles is one of those cities know world wide

• @miTgiB said: You'd think Los Angeles is one of those cities know world wide

Perhaps a reversal of a common terminology hangup; Euros are traditionally referred to as the West after all.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Aldryic said: Euros are traditionally referred to as the West

Euros are a last ditch effort at world domination, Europeans on the other hand ;) I've never heard of Asia being called the east as in your map, only the Far East.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@michelem - see HostVirtual (http://www.vr.org)

• Please don't use my thread for OT stuff.

@William Good to know you're EDIS. Here's what I don't like about your offering:

1. Any KVM package below 1 GB ram is useless because it comes with stingy 5GB of HD. No real server can run on that, even with BSD. We start talking from 10GB up.
    2. You do not support specs upgrades. This means if my needs grow I'll need to waste 2 days of my life to port all to a brand new machine, and maybe also change IP address. That's a tragedy.

Your SLA statement is FUD. If you can run servers reliably, commit to a SLA with refund-on-failure. 99.9% is trivial nowadays.

Regarding support, please make a clear statement for what support you give at what times, and if you give any time guarantee. The 2 replies confused me. Please make it on the website.

@gbshouse Thanks. They are on the expensive side at 20$ for 512MB ram and only 400GB traffic, but they seem ok for the rest and they allow custom BGP, which is cool.

I'll wait a while longer for replies and possible additional suggestions.

• @michelem said: 5GB of HD. No real server can run on that

The last time i checked my atom server which is using a debian linux installed on a 4gb usb stick could run a webserver, mysql server, minecraft server, openvpn server and some custom java programms just fine.

• @michelem said: Any KVM package below 1 GB ram is useless because it comes with stingy 5GB of HD. No real server can run on that, even with BSD. We start talking from 10GB up.

It runs fine with Debian, and customers (besides you and like 3 others) never complained about the HDD size - You know, these things are expensive, 2,5" 10/15k SAS drives don't come cheap.

@michelem said: You do not support specs upgrades. This means if my needs grow I'll need to waste 2 days of my life to port all to a brand new machine, and maybe also change IP address. That's a tragedy.

You do NOT need to change the IP, also you do NOT need to change anything if you want more RAM or CPUs - Only HDD resizing needs a reinstall.

@michelem said: Your SLA statement is FUD. If you can run servers reliably, commit to a SLA with refund-on-failure. 99.9% is trivial nowadays.

Sure, but why should we...?
    I've just read the Tos of a few providers and all have some "disaster" clause and some "oh if it is down it is down, no credit" stuff.
    We never offered any SLA in over 10 years, so this is not going to change.
    If you really care i offer you 100% SLA, even on paper, with a 1cent return per hour downtime (yes, a BIG datacenter has exactly this clause in it) - SLA is nothing worth.

@michelem said: Regarding support, please make a clear statement for what support you give at what times, and if you give any time guarantee. The 2 replies confused me. Please make it on the website.

The old website is not going to be changed anymore.
    Support is MO-FR 8-17 by normal phone, 0-24/7 by international and tickets are on a best effort base at all time, MO-FR likely done in a few minutes, on weekends maybe longer.