Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

USA north-east with ipv6 - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

USA north-east with ipv6

Comments

• @gsrdgrdghd You bet. Just make sure to route all logging to /dev/null .

• @William said: Only HDD resizing needs a reinstall.

why? I have resized the disk on KVM.

• @dmmcintyre3 said: why? I have resized the disk on KVM.

Because we do not use LVM for the containers HDDs for performance and security reasons.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@miTgiB said: Wait and see how discouraged he gets when the reality of East v West sets in. West Coast outsells East 3 to 1

Ah Tim, I fully kept your statements in mind when I planned what equipment to sell good sir :) You made that point to me many moons ago and I made sure to repeat it to the staff that 'East will sell slow, so expect to not see it sold out for a while'.

We're aware, but people want more locations out of us :)

Thanks for the heads up Timmeh,

Francisco

@William said: Because we do not use LVM for the containers HDDs for performance and security reasons.

Please don't tell me you're using QCOW2 images......

Francisco

edited June 2012

@liam said: @mitgib I'll bet you a tenner that buyvm will sell out within a few hours.

That's not really fair since we got many people that want to pre-order.

The east coast build is going to be small at just 6 nodes total, 2 KVM and 4 OVZ. It's more a test into the market to see how things look. I'm not going to drop tons of cash on 10 - 15 nodes if it's a very slow market. I expect the users to be less churn than the chinese, but the chinese don't leave us all that much as it is.

Again, some of my comments are based fully off Tim's own input and it all makes sense so I have no reason to question it :)

Francisco

@liam said: @francisco okay then within 1 hour.

Can we expect Buyvm.nl anytime soon?

Probably not an hour. I figure if we sell out all 6 within the month i'll be happy.

Europe is....I dunno. I don't have any contacts over there that I could trust to take care of the hardware.

Francisco

@Jack said: Ecatel ? trolooolooololololol

Yea that's the last thing we need.

'Hey man, our 2GBs sell out so fast now that they include 10TB traffic. Boy we push 95% UDP now...wonder why >_>'

Francisco

• @miTgiB said: I've never heard of Asia being called the east as in your map, only the Far East.

What about the middle east?

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@William said: Because we do not use LVM for the containers HDDs for performance and security reasons.

What security reason? Don't use LVM on the HN as RedHat states in their best practices

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@DimeCadmium said: What about the middle east?

How is the Middle East the east, it's the Middle East, your own words :P

• @miTgiB said: How is the Middle East the east, it's the Middle East, your own words :P

Asia is comprised (basically) of the Middle East and the Far East, or, collectively... the East.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Francisco said: I figure if we sell out all 6 within the month i'll be happy

4 Dual L5520's and a pair of E3 nodes, I doubt it lasts a week, but @Aldryic needs to post a policy on transfers now or bz will drive to Louisiana to kick his ass.

• @miTgiB said: bz will drive to Louisiana to kick his ass.

Pff, bz is too drunk to drive

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited June 2012

@DimeCadmium said: Pff, bz is too drunk to drive

I was thinking just after I hit post, wait, bz doesn't drive, or have a car, one of the two.

• @miTgiB said: What security reason? Don't use LVM on the HN as RedHat states in their best practices

I'm not working in the department that handles this, so i'm not sure - I just know it is there, we reported it, and got ignored.

• michelemmichelem Member
    edited June 2012

Edit: @DimeCadmium thanks

@William

2,5" 10/15k SAS drives don't come cheap

my feedback: between breathless 5GB on (presumably) low-latency SAS and 10GB on standard server-grade disks, I prefer for life the latter. You may call votes on that.

Sure, but why should we...?

OK, I really don't get this. Folks sell you something, and it's paid in advance, but hey – it may be down 100% of the time with no refund by legit terms, because there ain't any commitment anyways. I don't get what kind of business this is.

In my case reliability is before money. I can speak for Hetzner, they do have a SLA (only 99% is better than nothing), and even business compensations in case of gross negligence. In 6 months I had something like 3 minutes downtime.
    And I can speak for NQHost, I had some 40 minutes downtime in 2 years. NQHost also has amazingly good and fast support.

Support is MO-FR 8-17 by normal phone, 0-24/7 by international

I am even more confused.

Only HDD resizing needs a reinstall.

Would you compensate this technical gap by performing the dump and restore of the previous drive? This takes 2 commands and 1h of computer time to you, and saves 2 days of work to the client.

• DimeCadmiumDimeCadmium Member
    edited June 2012

@michelem said: my feedback: between breathless 5GB on (presumably) low-latency SSDs and 10GB on standard server-grade disks, I prefer for life the latter. You may call votes on that.

He never said SSD. He specifically said an RPM rating, in fact, which means it's NOT SSD, since SSD's don't spin (thus solid-state)...

And as he's said, SLA's almost never actually apply. For example, http://www.hostgator.com/tos/tos.php#9b they have an exception if you use a third-party monitoring service, it's "at the discretion of" them, maintenance doesn't count (whether planned or emergency), ...

• @michelem said: I am even more confused.

Why?
    Our Austrian phone is MO-FR 8-17 into our office, and our International phones are 24/7 to emergency staff.

@michelem said: and 10GB on standard server-grade disks, I prefer for life the latter. You may call votes on that.

Please show me how you put a 3,5" drive in a HP DL360 G7/G8... they only have 2,5" bays which limits you to SAS drives OR cheap, slow notebook drives and a maximum of 8x1TB total space which is in RAID10 only 4TB from which the backup storage for the VPS is also to be deducted - With the backup each VPS uses 4x its HDD size (the VPS and 3 backup slots).

@michelem said: Would you compensate this technical gap by performing the dump and restore of the previous drive? This takes 2 commands and 1h of computer time to you, and saves 2 days of work to the client.

How should this work?
    The old drive is a file on the HDD, the new drive is a file on the HDD - how should this be merged with your old data? This cannot be done by dd or similar (yes, we tried this.).

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@William said: hey only have 2,5" bays which limits you to SAS drives OR cheap, slow notebook drives

http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/enterprise-hard-drives/2-5/constellation/

These are great 2.5" Enterprise grade SATA III drives

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@William said: How should this work?

The old drive is a file on the HDD, the new drive is a file on the HDD - how should this be merged with your old data? This cannot be done by dd or similar (yes, we tried this.).

Boot into a rescue CD and rsync the filesystem across, pretty basic stuff, maybe you should leave technical questions to your technical staff.

• @miTgiB said: Boot into a rescue CD and rsync the filesystem across, pretty basic stuff, maybe you should leave technical questions to your technical staff.

@William said: This takes 2 commands and 1h of computer time to you, and saves 2 days of work to the client.

Running an rsync is no easier for the staff than the client

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@DimeCadmium said: Running an rsync is no easier for the staff than the client

Never said easy or hard, but it can be done, which is contrary to what @William is stating.

• @miTgiB said: Never said easy or hard, but it can be done, which is contrary to what @William is stating.

Right, it can be done, but no easier by staff than by client. The OP was specifically saying "you can do it easier than clients can", William was addressing that, he was not addressing whether or not it was possible.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited June 2012

@miTgiB said: Boot into a rescue CD and rsync the filesystem across, pretty basic stuff, maybe you should leave technical questions to your technical staff.

Thanks, i am aware how rsync works.
    This is however contrary to what you stated before - you wanted the SAME instance upgraded, which implies same mac address and the same IP, which is not possible with rsync since it requires 2 instances running at the same time with different macs and IPs.

I reffered to upgrading on the fly with resizing the HDD inside the container, not a migration which is entirely different from an upgrade.

Also, you are welcome to do it with rsync, this is in fact what we offer customers - a new KVM where they can migrate to in 7-14 days and then simply switch the IPs around.

@miTgiB said: These are great 2.5" Enterprise grade SATA III drives

HP does not support SATA3, only SATA2 (3Gbit) and SAS2 (6Gbit) - We used constellation 1TB SAS2 drives before, they are however now impossible to get.

@William said: HP does not support SATA3, only SATA2 (3Gbit) and SAS2 (6Gbit) - We used constellation 1TB SAS2 drives before, they are however now impossible to get.

It doesn't need to, the drives are backwards compatible.

Francisco

Thanked by 1klikli

@miTgiB said: What security reason? Don't use LVM on the HN as RedHat states in their best practices

The only reason you wouldn't use LVM is if you're wanting to oversell your space. qcow2 images are sparse files so they only allocate the upper max of the space your VM has ever used (not 100% sure if they shrink as well, maybe qcow2+ does that?).

file based images have 'fake' performance improvements due to some weird caching, but then it completely tanks in other spots to laughable levels.

qcow2 is great if you're in full control of all of the data inside the VM's and you know you aren't ever going to use more than the physical media sizes, allowing you to cheapen on disks. For production though that's just scary.

Francisco

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@William said: HP does not support SATA3

Maybe you should buy better hardware then ;)

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Francisco said: though that's just scary.

do you assign the space of a VM to a partition then?

@netomx said: do you assign the space of a VM to a partition then?

LVM's, just like 99% of everyone else doing KVM/XEN :)

Francisco