Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DireVPS £7.50/y plan - I bought it but can't install LAMP so what's it good for? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DireVPS £7.50/y plan - I bought it but can't install LAMP so what's it good for?

Comments

• @Jar said:
    There is no good reason why 512mb would not install a LAMP stack. I install apache and MySQL on 512mb or less at least once a week. In their default configuration.

I've done it myself a few times but on more expensive servers. This one being so cheap is clearly hobbled. Not that I expected the same experience so I'm not complaining as such. Just figuring out what I can and can't expect from such a cheap deal.

• trexostrexos Member
    edited June 2014

@adrianlambert

Well, I think you DO can expect that you get the ressources you pay for. No matter how much you pay, if somebody sells you 10GB ram for 1$ you can expect your full 10GB it's not your problem that the host makes ridiculous offers, it's their fault. I don't want to attack DireVPS as I don't have a service with them and I don't know if this is a single problem with your box. This was more in general.

Btw I was running apache just fine on a 128MB box so your 512MB box should run as well.

• Apache always installs, maybe because i do it first. It's always mysql or webmin depending on which way round i install them.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

I think I have one of these specials, going to give this a try.

• @Nekki said:
    I think I have one of these specials, going to give this a try.

thanks! be great to know how you find it.

• Jar said: There is no good reason why 512mb would not install a LAMP stack

Yes there is. It's an OpenVz VPS configured by the provider with user_beancounter limitations. @adrianlambert is hitting the privvmpages limit during installation. The most likely cause is MySQL, which allocates a lot of memory with its new default configuration (default innodb). The amount of memory that can be allocated is limited by the privvmpages setting.

Allocating memory is not the same as using memory. Most applications will allocate much more memory than they use -- typically twice as much.

An OpenVz VPS sold as "512MB" that employs the beancounter model should have 1024MB privvmpages. @adrianlambert's VPS has 512MB privvmpages.

The only real solution is for the provider to stop being stingy and raise the privvmpage limit. Better yet, move to OpenVz vSwap which avoids all the beancounter madness.

Thanked by 2adrianlambert jar
  • beggars and choosers comes to mind here though. Is there a way to get the installation to limit its allocation without preventing it installing successfully?

• adrianlambert said: beggars and choosers comes to mind here though. Is there a way to get the installation to limit its allocation without preventing it installing successfully?

At the command line, you can try shutting down everything except ssh, and then install mysql using the package manager (yum or apt-get).

If it completes successfully, then reconfigure mysql to use less memory. Disable innodb first, then tweak buffers/caches.

Restart mysql, check its memory usage. Then start other services.

Thanked by 1adrianlambert
  • @sleddog said:
    At the command line, you can try shutting down everything except ssh, and then install mysql using the package manager (yum or apt-get).

Thanks sleddog. I decided to reformat with debian then installed nginx then stopped it, installed php, installed mysql, stopped mysql then installed webmin. All installed without a hitch. I'll look into the mysql optimisations next.

• Grab the .deb archive for mysql manually, unpack it, re-do the default config, re-pack, install.

Not hard to do if you know what you're doing, this will probably allow you to skip all of this.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Or you can compile mysql from sources, when i did it long ago was skipping innodb altogether, you needed to specify it with arguments you want innodb too.

• KeithKeith Member

Run ulimit -a
    If the stack size is more than 256 kilobytes then you need to run ulimit -s 256
    This made a big difference a few years ago, although looking at some of my vps's now 256 kilobytes appears to be the default.

• stack size it 8192!

• jcalebjcaleb Member

adrianlambert said: Thanks sleddog. I decided to reformat with debian then installed nginx then stopped it, installed php, installed mysql, stopped mysql then installed webmin. All installed without a hitch. I'll look into the mysql optimisations next.

Were you using Centos earlier?

• Ubuntu 12.04

• KeithKeith Member
    edited June 2014

Edit /root/.bashrc and insert
    ulimit -s 256
    at the end, then reboot.
    ulimit -a should show 256 and there should be lower memory usage.
    For openvz only.

• thanks @keith, Since the post above, I've had a few problems although I managed to get it all installed (apache2 rather than nginx as I couldn't get php working) I've done that and I'll let you know how it goes in a few hours.

• wychwych Member
    edited June 2014

@adrianlambert said:
    thanks keith, Since the post above, I've had a few problems although I managed to get it all installed (apache2 rather than nginx as I couldn't get php working) I've done that and I'll let you know how it goes in a few hours.

Did your host respond to the ticket?

• Not yet @wych. Remember I paid £7.50 for a year!

• wychwych Member

@adrianlambert said:
    Not yet wych. Remember I paid £7.50 for a year!

No worries! Seems like you got around the issue yourself for now.

• So far it's working ok thanks to the help here.

• wychwych Member

@adrianlambert said:
    So far it's working ok thanks to the help here.

Its nice to think LET can come together and help people at times ;)

Thanked by 2netomx adrianlambert
  • I've found it a really friendly and helpful group, which as someone with very little experience with this stuff is invaluable. People are polite and take time to explain things. A great example to the rest of the Internet. :)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@sleddog said:
    The only real solution is for the provider to stop being stingy and raise the privvmpage limit. Better yet, move to OpenVz vSwap which avoids all the beancounter madness.

Well yeah but...that's not a "good" reason ;)

• @adrianlambert said:
    Not yet wych. Remember I paid £7.50 for a year!

Does that mean they might respond during year?
    Judging by the time you've already spent, the actual price for this VPS is much higher.

• It's all a learning curve @Master_Bo! Even if all I've learnt is to steer away from the "bargains"

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@adrianlambert said:
    It's all a learning curve Master_Bo! Even if all I've learnt is to steer away from the "bargains"

People here are nice, if you ask nicely AND you follow the instructions. If you don't, well, we won't help :)

• I think I've followed them fairly well! No doubt about the generosity of people here though.

Thanked by 2netomx sleddog
  • @Keith said:
    Edit /root/.bashrc and insert
    ulimit -s 256
    at the end, then reboot.
    ulimit -a should show 256 and there should be lower memory usage.
    For openvz only.

Doesn't seem to have solved the problem unfortunately :(
    I ended up with apache though and followed some instructions to lower it's consumption but after installing wordpress the server seems to be teetering on unstable. Services stopping, ssh not responding... Might just give up on this and mark it down to experience.