Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linode $10/month Plan! / Free $10 Credit! - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Linode $10/month Plan! / Free $10 Credit!

13»

Comments

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

@Amitz said:
    So, essentially it is not okay for Linode if I use the CPU for 100% 24/7. Do I understand this right?

No, you totally can, @serverian said so.

• I move an 8-core linode to the new 1-core a few days ago. Average CPU usage (shown by the linode panel graphs, measured over two days) went from 0.72% to 0.02% :)

Thanked by 1marrco
  • AmitzAmitz Member

Sorry, there seems to be a language barrier on my side. What if they say that using 100% CPU is intentional misuse? I see no part of their TOS that gives me the guarantee that I may use 100% of the allocated ressources 24/7.

• How good is the network? (Download)

40 Gbit Network In

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2014

Amitz said: Sorry, there seems to be a language barrier on my side. What if they say that using 100% CPU is intentional misuse? I see no part of their TOS that gives me the guarantee that I may use 100% of the allocated ressources 24/7.

Their ToS basically says it's not okay to use excessive CPU cycles; and one would think that using all of your cores 24x7 certainly does fall into that category.

• AmitzAmitz Member

@rm_ said:
    Their ToS basically says it's not okay to use excessive CPU cycles; and one would think that using all of your cores 24x7 certainly does fall into that category.

This is how I understand it too. So where does this myth come from?

• tr1ckytr1cky Member
    edited June 2014

@Amitz said:
    This is how I understand it too. So where does this myth come from?

Here:

@serverian said:
    You don't. Linode undersubscribes their nodes with huge CPUs where you can basically use your CPU 24/7.

• Amitz said: This is how I understand it too. So where does this myth come from?

Probably from the fact that it's rare to hear of someone getting kicked from Linode for CPU abuse.

• @Amitz said:
    So, essentially it is not okay for Linode if I use the CPU for 100% 24/7. Do I understand this right?

Note the word intentional misuse.

For example, running a high traffic website and consume 95% of processor and thousands of SSD iops on peak hours is not considered a misuse of the node.

But mining coins may be considered an intentional misuse.

Thanked by 1marrco
  • DaveADaveA Member

@serverian said:
    You don't. Linode undersubscribes their nodes with huge CPUs where you can basically use your CPU 24/7. If you try that on Vultr, you'd be stealing from others. Vultr's CPU can peak when there is no usage from other people at that moment, however you'll get steady performance with Linode.

I don't believe this statement to be true.

• LeeLee Veteran

I have a Linode with 4 sites on it, 2 CPU, in longview it is never under 75% CPU use. They have never once raised issue.

• redoredo Member

Do you know how much Linode and DO will charge for snapshot? According to Vultr support, their estimated pricing will be .02/GB per month. Thanks.

• dnwkdnwk Member

Where is the place to enter that coupon code?

• chrispchrisp Member
    edited June 2014

Can someone here explain how they behave now in case of a DoS?

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/4706/why-linode-sucks-a-personal-rant/

That happened when they were 9 years in business. 9 years of experience and they do not in any way cooperate with you in case of an attack before some bureaucratic 24h waiting time is over? I don't know, that doesn't sound like a good provider to me then.

I don't doubt that their service is stable and fast and such, but it seems like they are pretty overrated.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • LeeLee Veteran

It's still the same I believe, the bottom line is that if you are likely to encounter DDoS attacks then Linode is probably not your best choice. They are just not the type of service that will spend time checking at your whim to see if the attack has subsided.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • RLTRLT Member

Lol I'd trust that rant as far as I could throw Australia.

• chrispchrisp Member

Nobody likes to attract DDoS attacks, but if it happens you would like to solve it as soon as you can and of course you need support from your provider then. It is just stupid to not cooporate with the client in case of a DDoS, because this can only help everyone in the end. I mean it's good to know after all, because I initially also wanted to order one for myself.

• Free a month. Will try it

• LeeLee Veteran

@chrisp said:
    Nobody likes to attract DDoS attacks, but if it happens you would like to solve it as soon as you can and of course you need support from your provider then. It is just stupid to not cooporate with the client in case of a DDoS, because this can only help everyone in the end. I mean it's good to know after all, because I initially also wanted to order one for myself.

I agree with this however it's all about understanding the provider and choosing based on your need. Linode are quite clear, get an inbound attack and they null your IP for 24 hours, no exceptions. I rarely hear of issues over at Linode's forums on this issue.

You will know whether you are likely to experience that kind of issue and need to factor it in.

There are plenty of providers out there that will work with you as you require.

• nfnnfn Veteran

A comprehensive and very complete comparative between Linode, DigitalOcean and VULTR

http://blog.due.io/2014/linode-digitalocean-and-vultr-comparison/

Thanked by 1DaveA