Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linode $10/month Plan! / Free $10 Credit! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Linode $10/month Plan! / Free $10 Credit!

Comments

• @kaflo said:
    maybe on their next birthday they'll have a Linode 0.5GB.

or how about Linode 1gb for $5? :D

• orenjiorenji Member

oh not have CC, just have PayPal :(

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2014

Okay, I am trying to sign up for this whole evening...

First they asked for scans of front and back of my virtual credit card; even though I mentioned many times it's not a physical card, it's just a number and a CVV issued by my bank; still "we are unable to activate your account unless you can provide the front and back of the virtual card." Is this hilarious or what.

Trying again, now with a real physical card, uploaded ID/front/back, and literally one minute later I'm logged out from their panel and can't login back. Support says: "Your account was canceled by our fraud detection team. In addition, we have refunded your account."

Pretty piss-poor service so far from everyone's darling Linode. Now none of the two $5 refunds came yet, so I'm out $10 in addition to having sent them my ID and credit card scans for nothing. Guess going to wait to ensure they actually refunded me on both cards, and try again some time later.

• @rm_ said:
    Okay, I am trying to sign up for this whole evening...

I thought you were against the whole VPS idea ^^

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited June 2014

rm_ said: Pretty piss-poor service so far from everyone's darling Linode. Now none of the two $5 refunds came yet, so I'm out $10 in addition of having sent them my ID and credit card scans for nothing. Guess going to wait to ensure they actually refunded me on both cards, and try again some time later.

If you're using Entropay, the refund may actually take a month unless you send them the correspondence where Linode mentions that they've refunded you.

I guess this precludes me having a Linode service as well. My VISA credit card can't be used online unless the payment gateway asks for a Verified by VISA password (even Paypal doesn't). So I generally use Entropay virtual cards for all my transactions. If Linode doesnt accept them, I cant use them.

• LeeLee Veteran

They have always been quite difficult when it comes to payment from anything other than mainstream cards. I suppose though it reduces fraud but then I am not sure as I have never used anything like the ones mentioned.

• bigcatbigcat Member

I bet their support team gonna suffer

Everyone will be affected once they got "Urgent! my gentoo doesn't work ASAP" and similarly sounding support request everyday :p

edited June 2014

W1V_Lee said: payment from anything other than mainstream cards

Yeah imagine that, a VIRTUAL card issued in RUSSIA. That's like fraud^2 right there.

One good thing is the support does reply pretty fast and to be fair they do seem to want to help, despite maybe being bogged down by bureaucracy or general over-cautiousness; explained everything to them, then a bit later tried signing up for the 3rd time, and this time everything went successfully, did not even have to resubmit all the documents again.

joelgm said: I guess this precludes me having a Linode service as well. My VISA credit card can't be used online unless the payment gateway asks for a Verified by VISA password (even Paypal doesn't). So I generally use Entropay virtual cards for all my transactions. If Linode doesnt accept them, I cant use them.

If you'd have been from a country that's unlikely to trigger their "account verification" process, then I suppose virtual cards would work; but if they decide they need to verify your account, then it's scans of the credit card, and no way around that.

• AThomasHoweAThomasHowe Member
    edited June 2014

rm_ said: Yeah imagine that, a VIRTUAL card issued in RUSSIA. That's like fraud^2 right there.

If only you had a Chinese backed bank. That'd be the icing on the cake.

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited June 2014

@rm_ said:

First they asked for scans of front and back of my virtual credit card

@rm_ thanks for that info; "for that reason ... I'm out"

They may be good at preventing fraud for themselves, but horrible at protecting privacy (and preventing fraud) for YOU.

I commend you for trying to use your virtual card; this type of online transaction is exactly what they were meant for.

Oh well; yet another vendor that should have fun with PCI Compliance audits.

• I finally decided to sign up and all passed without any problem :-). $10 credit is delicious ;-)

• Linode starting to feel the pinch ay? Still i won't sign up until the price is LEB.

• seikanseikan Member

Wow, finally Linode is listed in my collection list :D

• I would jump into this, but Linode has on PayPal support; and CCs online always creates problems...

• marrcomarrco Member

fwiw i started using linode in 2009 (or maybe 2008) and never had a single problem. They have always been perfect. Great servers, excellent support, no problems ever. Not a cheap leb but definitely the best budget vps i ever used. At that time, if memory helps, slicehost was a little better, but too pricey.

Now i still have credit on my Linode account but my main vps are with prometes/iwstack ad their biz services.

• Is it just my imagination or has Linode reduced their core or thread count when they switched to cloud style billing? I thought it has always been 8 vCPUs when the did their disk, cpu and ram upgrades.

edited June 2014

@rchurch yes they did, see https://blog.linode.com/2014/04/17/linode-cloud-ssds-double-ram-much-more/
    there are some complaints in the comments about that; but really the new setup makes much more sense, and the only ones complaining are those who expected to max out all 8 cores on a VPS, i.e. not very reasonable people.

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • tr1ckytr1cky Member

How does the 1core plan perform cpu-wise comparing it to a 1core vultr plan?

• jhjh Member

I bought one :)

tr1cky said: perform cpu-wise comparing it to a 1core vultr plan

No clue about Vultr but my Linode is an E5-2680.

Thanked by 1sentarum
  • @tr1cky said:
    How does the 1core plan perform cpu-wise comparing it to a 1core vultr plan?

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/25777/tiny-benchmarks-to-compare-linode-digital-ocean-vultr-and-wable#latest

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

Okay, that's too slow, don't know why Linode gets so much hype anyways.

• @tr1cky said:

How is it slow? Will you compile things 24/7?

It's a 2680 v2 CPU which costs $1800 where Vultr's CPU costs $300.

Thanked by 1marrco
  • tr1ckytr1cky Member
    edited June 2014

@serverian said:
    It's a 2680 v2 CPU which costs $1800 where Vultr's CPU costs $300.

Still, seems like you get more cpu power with Vultr on the 5$ plan.

• @tr1cky said:
    Still, seems like you get more cpu power with Vultr on the 5$ plan.

You don't. Linode undersubscribes their nodes with huge CPUs where you can basically use your CPU 24/7. If you try that on Vultr, you'd be stealing from others. Vultr's CPU can peak when there is no usage from other people at that moment, however you'll get steady performance with Linode.

Thanked by 1marrco
  • tr1ckytr1cky Member

@serverian said:
    You don't. Linode undersubscribes their nodes with huge CPUs where you can basically use your CPU 24/7. If you try that on Vultr, you'd be stealing from others. Vultr's CPU can peak when there is no usage from other people at that moment, however you'll get steady performance with Linode.

Ok, so you can peak higher on Vultr, I'm fine with that.

• Credit card required. :(

• AmitzAmitz Member

Is it official policy at Lindode that I may use 100% of "my" core 24/7? Any link?

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

@Amitz said:
    Is it official policy at Lindode that I may use 100% of "my" core 24/7? Any link?

Yes it is (from their ToS):

Misuse of System Resources: Intentional misuse of system resources, including but not limited to employing programs that consume excessive network capacity, CPU cycles, or disk IO.

• DylanDylan Member

@serverian said:

Another good option if you want to use your CPU 24/7 would seem to be QuadraNet's cloud -- according to a comment Dustin made on the LEB post the vCores are dedicated:
    http://lowendbox.com/blog/quadranet-5-97month-512mb-ssd-vps-in-los-angeles/#comment-163485

You can get a 512MB instance for under $5 if you allocate less storage space than the advertised plan, too.

• AmitzAmitz Member

@tr1cky said:
    Misuse of System Resources: Intentional misuse of system resources, including but not limited to employing programs that consume excessive network capacity, CPU cycles, or disk IO.

So, essentially it is not okay for Linode if I use the CPU for 100% 24/7. Do I understand this right?