Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dot UK launch! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dot UK launch!

Comments

• I hate domain squatters so much... still wondering why it's even allowed by registries. Can't register my name for example because some idiots have bought the domain (until 2016 & if they renew they have the .uk until 2019...)
    Great.

• @MSPNick said:
    we I would have thought so as your trying to register a .uk tld..? most likely the majority of other companies needs to have a address.

Which is weird because I'm able to register .co.uk domains without a UK address and some .UK domains are now reserved for the for the next 5 years, but I'm not able to register them? It's confusing...

• IshaqIshaq Member

mpkossen said: but I'm not able to register them?

Why not?

You will need to update the WHOIS for these .co.uk domains and then you should be able to register the .uk with the same UK details. Nominet also charge a fee now for WHOIS modification.

• edited June 2014

Google.uk and youtube.uk availble! Buy it fast!

• wychwych Member

@itrmike said:
    I hate domain squatters so much... still wondering why it's even allowed by registries. Can't register my name for example because some idiots have bought the domain (until 2016 & if they renew they have the .uk until 2019...)
    Great.

Ditto.

• @XxNisseGamerxX said:
    Google.uk and youtube.uk availble! Buy it fast!

registration will be denied because they are already reserved.

• BruceBruce Member

.uk seems to be twice the price of .co.uk

• @sundaymouse said:
    registration will be denied because they are already reserved.

ok..

• impimp Member

Just now I have been signed up for new products by resell.biz which is .UK domain!

Have a lot of Fund In My Account :P

• edited June 2014

I read the title of this thread as Dot UK lunch. I clicked on it thinking there was a way to get free lunch! What a let down! :)

• BradBrad Member
    edited June 2014

@rajprakash said:
    I read the title of this thread as Dot UK lunch. I clicked on it thinking there was a way to get free lunch! What a let down! :)

Don't worry, I read "DotVPS UK launch". It's literally been 5 minutes since I woke up.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • xmobxmob Member

If you do a whois for a .uk domain it will show you the 'Right of registration". e.g.

Domain name:
    xmob.uk

>

Right of registration:
    xmob.co.uk

Knowing that, I'm not registering for at least 4.5 years. Nominet can FRO.

Thanked by 1Licensecart
  • Ishaq said: You will need to update the WHOIS for these .co.uk domains and then you should be able to register the .uk with the same UK details. Nominet also charge a fee now for WHOIS modification.

Could you tell me where I could obtain a UK address? Because I'd love to have the domain.

• @mpkossen said:
    Could you tell me where I could obtain a UK address? Because I'd love to have the domain.

Ask a friend for an address :D

• Thanks for reminding me. Just had to go through the pain of finding out who had registered our domain originally, and what email they used so I could update our company info to get the .uk domain.

• impimp Member

@mpkossen said:
    Could you tell me where I could obtain a UK address? Because I'd love to have the domain

I can give it for free!

Thanked by 1iriO
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Liam said:
    I thought jhadley had either bought dotvps for a moment ;-)

Me too. I also have 5 minutes awake

• jhjh Member
    edited June 2014

Liam said: I thought @jhadley had bought dotvps for a moment ;-)

Lol.. Although a friend and I were talking about starting a DO competitor - we have everything we need, but I don't think it's going to happen because of the "race to the bottom" ;)

• wychwych Member

@mpkossen said:

YGPM.

• VPNVPN Member

I wonder what Nominet will do about domains that are hoarded by foreign people.
    There is another 2 letter domain that I have wanted to get my hands on for ages.

It's not with a premium seller as I know the registrant but he lives in Turkey and refuses to sell it to anyone until he can sell it for hundreds of thousands.

I don't want to play the waiting game and wait until 2019 to register the .uk knowing he can't as he doesn't have a UK address.

• VPNVPN Member

I've considered it I know it won't get anywhere. But as it doesn't cost anything to talk to Nominet I guess I have nothing to lose.

• I am getting eduardo.uk!

I would get eddy.uk, but meh.

• wychwych Member
    edited June 2014

@VPN said:
    I've considered it I know it won't get anywhere. But as it doesn't cost anything to talk to Nominet I guess I have nothing to lose.

I don't have a trademark but I do have double the domain age - worth a shot.

shame .co.uk's can be worldwide registrant as the one that has mine in in NZ; so he cannot get the .uk anyway

• Quickly! Someone register host.uk before it's gone! :o

• larslars Member

@eddynetweb said:
    Quickly! Someone register host.uk before it's gone! :o

You can't.

• impimp Member
    edited June 2014

\

@lars said:

Tried a lot to grab it!

But I am not from UK so it says

Order Accept Encountered Problems
    null : Authorization error

in my WHMCS which is connected to resell.biz domain reseller.

:P

Thanked by 1iriO
  • VPNVPN Member

I assume Facebook and PayPal will be registering fb.uk and pp.uk

• @lars said:
    You can't.

Yea, I just figured that out.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Actually that's a good shout - find some decent 2/3 characters domains held by non-UK individuals and nab the .uk's since they can't have them anyway.