Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dot UK launch!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dot UK launch!

jhjh Member

Most __.uk domain owners can now register their same domain on the .uk TLD. I will be getting mine as soon as Namecheap fixes their website. Will you be getting yours?

Thanked by 1VPNsh

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

yup bought and forwarded just waiting for replication.

• not really any point. co.uk is fine.

• rmlhhdrmlhhd Member

Tried to buy on NameCheap, didn't work :(

http://status.namecheap.com/?p=15901

• wychwych Member

DomainMonster isn't letting me buy one either.

• rmlhhdrmlhhd Member

UK2.net is pre-order and Gandi.net doesn't even have them on their domain list.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Definitely going to grab a couple of my .co.uk's ASAP.

• tommytommy Member
    edited June 2014

use Godaddy

To register a .UK domain name, your administrative contact country must be part of the UK Territories.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited June 2014

@tommy

don't fund godaddy. its a shady company. use namecheap.

• f##k, did the co.uk-.uk connection end already?

• wychwych Member

@kerouac said:
    f##k, did the co.uk-.uk connection end already?

Wasn't it... if .co.uk owned (or other.uk under them) then .uk allowed preorder till today, now its open to public?

• jhjh Member
    edited June 2014

Yeah today is just if you have "right of registration" over a .uk from owning a co.uk/org.uk/etc. or if you've found a domain that nobody else has.

On this subject, Namecheap f*cked up my order and their support is very slow (it has been for some time actually...)

• To register a .UK domain name, your administrative contact country must be part of the UK Territories.

Isn't that illegal discrimination of other EU nationals?

• rmlhhdrmlhhd Member

NameCheap is working!!!!

• wychwych Member

@gsrdgrdghd said:
    Isn't that illegal discrimination of other EU nationals?

Right, because it isn't like other EU countries use similar terms. (cough .de)

• VPNVPN Member
    edited June 2014

@wych said:
    Wasn't it... if .co.uk owned (or other.uk under them) then .uk allowed preorder till today, now its open to public?

Anybody who had a .co.uk registered before 28th October 2013 (when the .uk announcement was made) has the .uk equivalent reserved for 5 years.

However most registrars haven't even updated their sites to allow purchase yet.

If you're registering .uk domains then remember you have to be UK based and you also have to actually use the domain name. Nominet don't take lightly to people who buy domains and horde them without competitive or reasonable use.

• wychwych Member

I am in the UK :)

• vedranvedran Veteran
    edited June 2014

wych said: if .co.uk owned (or other.uk under them) then .uk allowed preorder till today, now its open to public?

As far as I'm aware if you already own .co.uk or .org.uk you will have the right to register .uk in the next 5 years. Or I'm reading this wrong?

This whole preorder thing is just marketing.

Thanked by 1VPN
  • VPNVPN Member

@vedran said:

Correct on both points.

I see Domainmonster are/were charging £9.99 for .uk pre-orders despite the names being reserved for 5 years and Nominet already saying the pricing will match .co.uk and .org.uk

Thanked by 1vedran
  • rds100rds100 Member

It's just a way to extract more money from you, guys. Who cares about .uk ?

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • wychwych Member

@vedran said:
    This whole preorder thing is just marketing.

.co.uk > .org.uk > .me.uk

I have .me.uk but .co.uk has rights as he is more authoritative, despite me owning the .me.uk for longer.

• @wych said:
    I have .me.uk but .co.uk has rights as he is more authoritative, despite me owning the .me.uk for longer.

It's dispute time.

• wychwych Member

@kerouac said:
    It's dispute time.

I cannot be bothered, I will wait till he drops the .co.uk and then I can get a .uk :)

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

So which registrars actually do them now?

• wychwych Member

@Infinity said:
    So which registrars actually do them now?

DomainMonster, GoDaddy and Namecheap so far.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • LicensecartLicensecart Member
    edited June 2014

no-one can register my licensecart.uk as I own the .co.uk so hey why rush into it :)

• Namecheap requires a UK address, unfortunately :-(

• MSPNickMSPNick Member
    edited June 2014

@mpkossen said:
    Namecheap requires a UK address, unfortunately :-(

we I would have thought so as your trying to register a .uk tld..? most likely the majority of other companies needs to have a address.

• VPNVPN Member

Might register my 2 letter .uk or I might just wait 4 and a half years. :)

• wychwych Member

@mpkossen said:
    Namecheap requires a UK address, unfortunately :-(

*Nominet

• Just tried one through godaddy:

"The registry has reserved these .uk domains for anyone who registered the matching .co.uk, .org.uk, .me.uk, .net.uk, .ltd.uk, .plc.uk domains before June 10, 2014. Those registrants have until June 10, 2019 to claim their .uk domain."