Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Plesk and its uses? Why use plesk? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Plesk and its uses? Why use plesk?

13»

Comments

• dnwkdnwk Member
    edited June 2014

@wych said:
    I am the opposite; I hate metro style just wish that they had done the file manager in paper lantern too!

So, I guess you are a mac guy/lady

• wychwych Member

@dnwk said:
    So, I guess you are a mac guy/lady

Nope, Windows all the way (aside from servers) just hate Metro.

Not too keen on macs but not tried a recent one hands on for a while to be fair.

• Speaking of Metro I hate Windows 8 with a passion but I'm not a fond of Paper Lantern theme they could do so much better.

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • sz1hosting said: Oh i see interesting, vote is not going so well for plesk.

probably because half the people aint used it and are just reading up on it.

Thanked by 1sz1hosting
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2014

forthcloud said: Fast installation (a few minutes vs a few hours for cPanel)

a few hours on very slow network, but not on shared 100Mbps connection

forthcloud said: Better UI (my personal opinion)

more complicated, easier to learn the ssh command for normal user than to use Plesk (my personal opinion)

• emgemg Veteran

I have used both Plesk and cPanel as an end user of shared hosting services.

Speaking only for myself, I prefer Plesk. Both are easy to use for the customer, and do much of the same functions.

The reason I prefer Plesk is because of the way that it handles multiple domains. We have a primary family domain. On the same hosting account, we have other domains, such as a hobby domain for my son. Under Plesk, I gave him his own account with access and operations limited to his hobby domain only. He could work on his website, create email addresses, etc. for his hobby domain, without having direct access to the main account.

Under cPanel, the add-on domains are merged under a single account. I have had to share the main account password with my son so that he can access his stuff. I trust him with it, but it would have been better to keep the domains isolated from one another. There have been minor problems associated with sharing the account, such as a runaway cron job that he created for his domain, but it affected the family domain, too.

• sz1hostingsz1hosting Member
    edited June 2014

Just looking at the demos now and i see you can create resellers etc looks quite nice and clean.
    http://www.parallels.com/products/plesk/hands-on-demos/
    https://plesk11.demo.parallels.com:8443/

• @sz1hosting said:
    Just looking at the demos now and is ee you can create resellers etc looks quite nice and clean.
    http://www.parallels.com/products/plesk/hands-on-demos/
    https://plesk11.demo.parallels.com:8443/

It's nice indeed, and looks sleeker than cPanel.

Thanked by 1sz1hosting
  • Friendly advice, dont forget to reboot after installing Plesk. It's not needed for the install but a VPS (atleast (open)virtuozzo ones) will run out of memory after installing Plesk without reboot

Thanked by 1sz1hosting
  • @xDutchy said:

The issue does not appear to be existent in virtuozzo (with automatic or manual install and no reboot).

• forthcloud said: The issue does not appear to be existent in virtuozzo (with automatic or manual install and no reboot).

That's odd, had the memory issue on multiple occasions on licensed Virtuozzo instances, both manual and automatic installs. This was on 11.0 / early stages of 11.5 installs though, could've been fixed

• Interesting information guys : )