Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Plesk and its uses? Why use plesk?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Plesk and its uses? Why use plesk?

sz1hostingsz1hosting Member
edited June 2014 in Reviews

What do you use plesk for and can you explain how it can be useful to you?
Basically i was given some free plesk licenses and just wondering what people use plesk for and how it compares to other cp's?

I know this bit already:
Plesk allows you manage thousands of virtual hosts on a single machine. You can use Plesk control panel with Shared, VPS or even Dedicated hosting. Plesk control panel automates many tasks that allow web hosts to reduce operating costs and resources while at the same time increasing profitability, efficiency and customer satisfaction.

Do you use plesk?
  1. Do you use plesk CP-?38 votes
    1. Yes It is very useful
      10.53%
    2. Yes i use it!
      10.53%
    3. No i do not like it.
      28.95%
    4. No!
      31.58%
    5. It is better than cPanel.
      10.53%
    6. I have used it but prefer another CP.
        5.26%
    7. I use it for reselling hosting.
        2.63%

Comments

• sz1hostingsz1hosting Member
    edited June 2014

Dou you use plesk CP-? Do you use plesk CP-? woops typo there. Edited new poll.

• Plesk is just an alternative to cPanel. Some good things about it:

• Fast installation (a few minutes vs a few hours for cPanel)
    • Better UI (my personal opinion)
    • Linux & Windows support (cPanel only supports Linux)
    • Cheaper pricing
    Thanked by 1sz1hosting
  • Oh sounds interesting : ) not sure if i can use it on a vps or has to be on a dedicated server will have to check!

• ShivamShivam Member

Good question actually, i've never used Plesk to be honest since i've heard Cpanel to better however i'm planning to offer both options. Considering the fact that Cpanel only supports Linux, and if i wanted to do windows aswell i'd have to use Plesk. Both are good in there own ways its just i'm use to Cpanel i guess

Thanked by 1sz1hosting
  • Me too, i have never used plesk myself, i just got a free 10 domain license:

The license key will not be available before you have installed a template that contains Plesk.
    hmm will have to ask the dc if i can use it on a vps on the server that has plesk issued to it.

Oh also they have a billing system though i read up that it is only for plesk, eg: you can not add cpanel products to it or virtulizor or solusvm products.

Is anyone using plesk for billing?

• @sz1hosting said:
    Oh sounds interesting : ) not sure if i can use it on a vps or has to be on a dedicated server will have to check!

It works on Virtuozzo (os-virt), KVM, all other hypervisor-based VPS, and of course, dedicated servers. Not sure if the Virtuozzo version works on OVZ or not.

Thanked by 1sz1hosting
  • Oh thanks, so i may not be able use the licenses due to using virtulizor on the main server plesk is issued to, so ovz i can't use plesk on? Oh what a shame : (

• @sz1hosting said:
    Interesting i think plesk can be used on a ovz vps?

We are an official Parallels (plesk) partner, and as I know Parallels doesn't say they don't allow the use of Virtuozzo Plesk licenses on OVZ (OpenVirtuozzo). However, they do not have a reseller program which means you can only get an (internal) license from an official hosting partner, and in most of the cases they will not allow you to use the license on a OpenVZ VPS.

Thanked by 1sz1hosting
  • oh i see, thanks : )

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@sz1hosting said:
    oh i see, thanks : )

Another grand business scheme down the toilet?

• Plesk is better in every way.

1, it's faster
    2. easier to setup and much quicker as @forthcloud has pointed out.
    3. Dev licensing options
    4. the UI is awesome

Thanked by 1sz1hosting
  • @TarZZ92 said:

Plesk doesn't have proper reseller hosting support.

Thanked by 1sz1hosting
  • Nekki said: Another grand business scheme down the toilet?

Lol no just wondering about plesk i have cpanel hosting that i sell in uk, got a free plesk license so wanted to find out more info on plesk!

• forthcloud said: Plesk doesn't have proper reseller hosting support.

never found the reseller a problem. granted it's much different to cPanel.

• mixed views then i see, so you can only use plesk for plesk licensed servers? eg: you can not add cpanel or virtulizor solusvm feathur to plesk add on billing mod.

• @sz1hosting said:
    mixed views then i see, so you can only use plesk for plesk licensed servers? eg: you can not add cpanel or virtulizor solusvm feathur to plesk add on billing mod.

You can run both cPanel and Plesk in a physical server but they must be installed in different virtual environments.

• How about plesk billing, can you add cpanel hosting plans - packages to plesk billing?

• forthcloudforthcloud Member
    edited June 2014

@sz1hosting said:
    How about plesk billing, can you add cpanel hosting plans - packages to plesk billing?

Yes. http://www.parallels.com/products/plesk/billing/modules/

• sz1hostingsz1hosting Member
    edited June 2014

ohh very interesting! i pay $18.95 for whmcs right now and if plesk billing can be used instead and i save money would be nice, though is plesk billing any good compared to whmcs.

I like boxbilling myself but i pay for whmcs because people see whmcs and get exited lol.

• @sz1hosting said:

It has a terrible UI and the latest release was published on 9-Dec-2008...more than 6 years ago.

• forthcloud said: It has a terrible UI and the latest release was published on 9-Dec-2008...more than 6 years ago.

You mean boxbilling?

• @sz1hosting said:

Plesk billing.

• forthcloud said: Plesk billing.

ohh i see, that does not sound good at all, wow just wow 6 years and no update that is just crazy maybe there is a github version?

• @sz1hosting said:

No, just don't use it. Keep using what you are using now.

• Ok thank you : ) will do.

• VPNVPN Member

For billing stick to ClientExec or WHMCS or anything else regularly updated.

I personally use Plesk on both our Windows and Linux boxes as I prefer consistency across platforms.

Few downsides, there isn't a DNS only version. However there are guides out there to be able to get cPanel DNS only working with Plesk but haven't tried it myself.

• Interesting feedback : )

• taronyutaronyu Member
    edited June 2014

@forthcloud said:
    Plesk is just an alternative to cPanel. Some good things about it:

>
    • Fast installation (a few minutes vs a few hours for cPanel)
    • >
    • Better UI (my personal opinion)
    • >
    • Linux & Windows support (cPanel only supports Linux)
    • >
    • Cheaper pricing
    • >

It is cheaper?

• forthcloudforthcloud Member
    edited June 2014

@taronyu said:

These are unlimited-domain dedicated server licenses. You can refer to this link for the price of VPS licenses as they are cheaper than cPanel VPS: https://www.forthcloud.com/licenses/parallels/plesk-panel/ (non-advertising).

You can also save money by getting a 10-domain or 100-domain license instead of an unlimited-domain license if you only have a few sites.