Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your go-to provider(s) for production uses? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Your go-to provider(s) for production uses?

Comments

• kaflokaflo Member
    edited June 2014

@W1V_Lee said:

Yeah that's what bothers me with most of the threads in forums everywhere. Answers without justifications.

Answers to questions like what's your virtualization of choice, your favorite provider, favorite OS, etc. etc.

All one word answers without bothering to explain why. This is a forum not Twitter.

Although I may be guilty of it sometimes too. But it's one of my pet peeves.

• edanedan Member

I use DO, Vultr, and DelimiterVPS.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • HostUS

• cassacassa Member

Jelastic (free)

• cassacassa Member

Ramnode, Crissic, Kimsufi

• my main site using: vultr, iniz, fapvps, crissic and leaseweb. other good provider in my experience: virtovo, domflow & colorhost.de

• @zsero said:
    I'll stick with Prometeus:

18:40:51 up 516 days, 8:20, 1 user, load average: 0.04, 0.03, 0.00

AWS, taking of uptime, is the champion for me. I had up to 734 days of uptime (after that they had to restart node, so uptime records were interrupted).

• rds100rds100 Member

Wait, what? AWS restarts "nodes"? What happened with HA, auto failover and all that?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2014

OT: Each time I see your nick i remember this (by CA$$A LOCO):

It is basically people gloating about someone who lost everything.

rds100 said: Wait, what? AWS restarts "nodes"? What happened with HA, auto failover and all that?

He did, not AWS :)

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

sentarum said: sentarum Member

June 7 edited June 7 FlagThanks
    For my webserver:

IWStack

Quadranet Cloud
    Dediserve (I got good discount a few month ago: 2 Core + Ram 1024 + 20 GB Disk for almost $5)
    DigitalOcean
    Vultr
    For my VPN:

Wable (very cheap, only $0.75/month) :)

Happy to have you with us!

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

Iwstack (and prometeus generally), ramnode, inceptionhosting and DrServer. For not so critical but production sites: wls, crissic. I also use for backup backupsy, fliphost and xfusesolutions (the last one is a 128MB box with over 300 days uptime)

Thanked by 2Maounique drserver
  • @rds100 said:
    Wait, what? AWS restarts "nodes"? What happened with HA, auto failover and all that?

From time to time - quite rarely, I should admit - I receive notifications that a given instance will be stopped since it's using a failed node. Restarting the instance will reallocate its resources over healthy nodes and it won;t be stopped.

It's so much of surprise?

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

Currently I'm using RamNode and OVH in production while backing up with VPSDimes backup VPS line.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Master_Bo said: It's so much of surprise?

Frankly, it is, it should be almost seamless if the node goes down, the instances should transfer automatically, but, yes, in case of a catastrophic node failure (kernel panic, storage disconnected), the only option is to start the instance on another node, meaning some downtime. If the node is not completely failed only in danger of imminent failure, it goes in maintenance mode and all instances are migrated without downtime.

• David_P said: I would like to use DrServer in the future, but haven't gotten my hands on one of their VMs yet.

I'm using one of their boxes (with Sugar VPS) for my site. Runs pretty well.

Thanked by 1drserver
  • Cloudshards

• jcalebjcaleb Member

Prometeus brand, catalyst host

Thanked by 1ryanarp
  • @Maounique said:
    Frankly, it is, it should be almost seamless if the node goes down, the instances should transfer automatically, but, yes, in case of a catastrophic node failure (kernel panic, storage disconnected) [...]

Methinks it was the latter (catastrophic, unrecoverable state), and thus reboot was required.

I assume AWS architects can explain in details how their Xen modifications handle node failures. Since otherwise my instances can work for years without going down even for small periods, I assume their nodes self-healing indeed works.

• rds100rds100 Member

Master_Bo said: From time to time - quite rarely, I should admit - I receive notifications that a given instance will be stopped since it's using a failed node. Restarting the instance will reallocate its resources over healthy nodes and it won;t be stopped.

It's so much of surprise?

From a technical point of view it's not a surprise and i can expect restarts and downtime in some cases. But from marketing point of view it's not so. Isn't that part of all the marketing pitch behind the "cloud" buzzword - i.e. self healing, HA, no downtime at all, etc., etc.
    After all what makes it different from a normal, non-cloud VPS provider then? Normal providers also can live migrate you to another node if they need to do maintenance.

• @rds100 said:
    After all what makes it different from a normal, non-cloud VPS provider then? Normal providers also can live migrate you to another node if they need to do maintenance.

Although I test quite a lot of providers, I prefer to stick to ones that exhibit good uptime, stability of service. AWS is just that. Personally, I don't care much how in fact they are self-healing (although it's worth asking their techs about details).

During my experience with them (since January 2009) there were 2 times when instance reboot was requested by their system. Otherwise, I did it myself (after kernel upgrades and the like).

So far, their Micro instance I use as private Subversion repository shows unmatched stability, none of other providers I know managed to allow that quality of stability, let alone uptime. Sad, but true.

• catalystium said: I've got two production servers with them right now, I don't have hardly any issues at all. I mean sometimes stuff does go wrong but for the price I'm not complaining to much.

Your statement is scary for anybody who is possibly associated with you.

1. "production"
    2. I don't hardly have issues but I mean sometimes stuff does go wrong
    3. I don't complain about my production quality going down due to the price

Terrifying.

• sharuusharuu Member
    edited June 2014

I haven't explored much, but I prefer Crissic. Their Servers are stable and their support is very good.

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

My production services use:

• RamNode: DDoS protected teamspeak node, very good filtering, very few false positives, can handle 60k pps legit udp traffic without problems

• OVH VPS: Failover for the DDoS protected teamspeak node, gets restarted quiet frequently, but still had good uptime so far

• Torqhost, Liquid-Solutions, cloudshards, bandwagonhost: TSDNS servers with dns-failover, so I don't really rely on a good uptime here, as failover kicks in once one of the servers go down. Except for liquid-solutions all of them had great uptime so far.

• ReverseHosts: Hosting a teamspeak-webinterface, had only 99,7% uptime though, not so good for critical applications

• Vultr Frankfurt: Hosting a medium-sized vBulletin board, no downtime so far and great CPU/$ value

• GienGien Member

Longest uptime of a vps was 800 something days... Then auto migrate went wrong so hard a lil downtime for a kernel update.. maybe 2-3 now again running stable for 300+ days (with atleast 3 updates no downtime)

• Gien said: Longest uptime of a vps was 800 something days... Then auto migrate went wrong so hard a lil downtime for a kernel update.. maybe 2-3 now again running stable for 300+ days (with atleast 3 updates no downtime)

With who?

• BradBrad Member

@droopyar said:
    Iniz.com is really a very bad service. Always down, even i send a support ticket, and the tech guy called patrick do not know anything about linux to solve my problem. I ask for a full refund of my money, and he refuse to send it. I am now with legal actions with paypal and gate2shop to have my money back. Better stay away from iniz.com

OMG, really?!?!?11. I'll be sure to stay away from them, thanks for the heads up.

• Digital Ocean, Prometeus, RamNode, TurnKeyInternet

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • edanedan Member

@droopyar said:
    Iniz.com is really a very bad service. Always down, even i send a support ticket, and the tech guy called patrick do not know anything about linux to solve my problem. I ask for a full refund of my money, and he refuse to send it. I am now with legal actions with paypal and gate2shop to have my money back. Better stay away from iniz.com

Trolling http://lowendtalk.com/profile/comments/90367/droopyar

• Ramnode and QPS. Probably not a coincidence that they are in the same DC (atleast if i remember correctly)

• @Void_Whisperer said:
    Ramnode and QPS. Probably not a coincidence that they are in the same DC (atleast if i remember correctly)

Same DC, different networks.