Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Green Value Host Review - 3 Weeks - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Green Value Host Review - 3 Weeks

Comments

• ehabehab Member

@edwardF said: A bit of a hiccup, but not a big problem. I don't mind having to wait a day or two to get server up and running.

sometimes i can wait for development env. to become ready but never for production.

• @ehab said:
    sometimes i can wait for development env. to become ready but never for production.

Yeah I wouldn't use GVH for production at the moment. I'm using them for a small site and my own prototypes, but if it gets a lot of traffic and issues aren't resolved I'll change. Hoping they can fix stuff though, because some of their other VPS configurations look promising for some larger projects I have in mind.

• If only you could get cheap hosting in Australia :(

• @quadex said:
    If only you could get cheap hosting in Australia :(

There are a few ones around that aren't bad, but I tend to get US ones anyway because I know that most people that will be interacting with it are from the US. I'd only get Australian hosting if I wanted to do backups or something like that.

The only real downside is that using SSH is so slow. You can't do any intense editing with vim because it's not responsive enough, but typing in commands is okay.

• What kind of delays are you getting for your host?, i've used Canadian VPS servers and as long as your in SSH the delay is there but not enough so that it'll bother you

• @quadex said:
    What kind of delays are you getting for your host?, i've used Canadian VPS servers and as long as your in SSH the delay is there but not enough so that it'll bother you

Are you from Aus? There's no getting around the delays. Light simply can't travel fast enough from one side of the world to the other :P

Singapore/SEA servers are bearable though.

• Yep, using ssh with 260ms ping Doesnt seem very noticeable though(PuTTY)
    Here's an idea, you and me start a Australian hosting company, you pay for the Servers and i'll.... um... use them? :P

• alexhalexh Member
    edited June 2014

GVH_Alex said: Hi @edwardF Welcome to LET! Thank you very much for both outlining the positive effects on our service and also issues which you have.

We appreciate reviews such as yours so we are able to establish server issues, and policy procedures which need working on.

I am extremely concerned about the downtime you have experienced. As Jon said, we would like to get the downtime and slow IO performance investigated because we do strive for 99.9% uptime as well as at least 100MB/s IO for every client.

It's one thing to fail to provide the service you promise to; It's another thing to blatantly lie to customers. The reasons why Jon and associates continue to intentionally bring grief upon many people are beyond me.

There are real providers, and real people, that actually care about their service and business. These other companies deserve your business much, much more. They may also provide a more reliable service.

Edit: Oh, and you've all been trolled by the "international relations manager" title.

Thanked by 2darkshire switsys
  • @alexh said:
    Edit: Oh, and you've all been trolled by the "international relations manager" title.

Nope, I just said he's more professional than Jon...

• tr1ckytr1cky Member
    edited June 2014

Nothing unusual, there are random downtimes at GVH all the time and they remove cpu cores from your vps over time allthough I didn't achieve a cpu load over 0.2 yet.

Also:

root@host:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=sb-io-test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 14.4443 s, 74.3 MB/s

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited June 2014

@edwardF If you requested this build on sign up (Debian 7 32bit Minimal) or rebuilt it with that image, it won't work. It doesn't connect to the network for some reason.

@GVH_Alex can you confirm whether this has been fixed yet? If not it should be removed from the reinstall build list.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Alex - GreenValueHost International Relations Manager & Public Relations

I read this on the toilet and laughed so hard all my poop came out instantly.

• alexhalexh Member
    edited June 2014

Nekki said: I read this on the toilet and laughed so hard all my poop came out instantly.

You laughed very, very, very hard.

GVH_Alex said: @Hostnoob Howdy, Thank you for your reply. This is very very very concerning to hear! Do you have a ticket number I could look into to see how staff handled this?

• cfgguy said: Where is everybody ?? Making popcorn ?

Nekki said: I read this on the toilet and laughed so hard all my poop came out instantly.

Dis comment tho'... made me laugh so hard.

Not bad though, @GreenValueHost, you are improving. Good to see (inb4bash).

• LOL - wow if only they put as much time into supporting their customers as they do with coming up with these stupid titles they "might" actually be good.

But I guess when you're 16 it's about the benjamins titles baby!!

Thanked by 1switsys
  • agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

@GreenValueHost said:
    What node are you on? And what is your service ID? I would like to get the downtime and slow IO performance investigated because we do strive for 99.9% uptime as well as at least 100MB/s IO for every client. I'll credit you for the 0.2% and the downtime and IO looked at ASAP.

and if i mention my ticket, where in my vps was offline for arround 4 days, twice, will i get some credit on that?

Thanked by 1darkshire
  • AlexUAlexU Member

agentmishra said: and if i mention my ticket, where in my vps was offline for arround 4 days, twice, will i get some credit on that?

Hi @agentmishra
    Sorry to hear about this, could you please PM me your ticket number so I can personally investigate this for you?

Regards,

• edwardFedwardF Member
    edited June 2014

The VPS went down again for 17 minutes.

Thanked by 1darkshire
  • @edwardF said:

The VPS went down again for 17 minutes.

20:31:20 up 16 days, 11:17, 0 users, load average: 10.39, 10.17, 9.26
    = node statistics.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Just because the physical host was running, dosent mean that the network was online.

• Update
    GVH have given me credit and I have now started another server with the same specifications on their Dallas, Texas node. I will update my main post when I've collected up-time stats for a new site (I have another domain that I am testing on this VPS). So far the response times seem more consistent.

Here are the initial test speeds:

wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5620  @ 2.40GHz
    Number of cores : 1
    CPU frequency :  2401.000 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 768 MB
    Total amount of swap : 768 MB
    System uptime :   13 min,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 52.6MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 19.7MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 47.5MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 6.43MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 1.44MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 773KB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 724KB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 4.00MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 1.98MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 22.2MB/s
    I/O speed :  26.8 MB/s

• namhuynamhuy Member
    edited June 2014

edwardF said: I/O speed : 26.8 MB/s

impressive io

• iceTwyiceTwy Member
    edited June 2014
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 1.98MB/s

Erm. Sweet uplink.

Thanked by 1darkshire
  • edwardFedwardF Member
    edited June 2014

@iceTwy said:
    Erm. Sweet uplink.

Yeah it's not looking too great.

• We have too many incidents of CPU and IO abuse. We're considering the possibility of reintroducing unsuspecting fees because abusers just don't "get it".

• edwardFedwardF Member
    edited June 2014

@GreenValueHost said:
    We have too many incidents of CPU and IO abuse. We're considering the possibility of reintroducing unsuspecting fees because abusers just don't "get it".

What do "unsuspecting" fees mean?

And also, what is abuse? Aren't their resources capped at what they're allowed to have?

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited June 2014

Now introducing unsuspecting fees! Fees that nobody suspected! :)
    That is the greatest new thing right after the spanish inquisition! ;)

• edwardFedwardF Member
    edited June 2014

6 hours later:

CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5620  @ 2.40GHz
    Number of cores : 1
    CPU frequency :  2401.000 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 768 MB
    Total amount of swap : 768 MB
    System uptime :   6:04,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 35.6MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 7.24MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 29.7MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 4.56MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 4.31MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 10.2MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 5.04MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 6.68MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 12.7MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 11.8MB/s
    I/O speed :  47.2 MB/s

It's an SSD btw.

edit: SSD Accelerated.

• Sorry, UNSUSPENSION fees us what I meant. And no @edwardF it's not an SSD.

• @GreenValueHost said:
    Sorry, UNSUSPENSION fees us what I meant. And no edwardF it's not an SSD.

Woops my mistake, you're right. SSD Accelerated.

This discussion has been closed.