Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Provider Names - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Provider Names

Comments

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Corey said: I have suggested to expand to other niche for the benefit of your customers

Being everything to everyone is a sure fire recipe for disaster.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited May 2012

@miTgiB said: IPMI

Not everybody disabled it on the motherboard, only @Francisco does ;)

What's wrong with IPMI?

• CoreyCorey Member

@Fransisco I'm positive you can make more than $100 per AMP doing something else :)

How much more profit do you think datacenters make on this? It takes time to make money, this profit would be IN ADDITION to the profit you already make in your other ventures. When you go get a loan at the bank, how long do you think it takes them to make money off you? They don't only give loans - there are other ventures there providing profit as well.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@raindog308 said: What's wrong with IPMI?

I usually have to reset it upon connection, but other than that, I love it, no waiting on someone to move you ipKVM around between machines.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Corey said: How much more profit do you think datacenters make on this?

Last I heard most DC's aren't profitable and are just something investors throw money at. I'm fairly sure SL's profits got posted during their buy out and it showed they owed a truck of cash.

If you have everything automated like SL where reinstalls/etc are done automatically and you can run a skeleton staff then i'm sure it's easy enough.

Francisco

• CoreyCorey Member

@Francisco I'm not sure why an investor would throw money at something that doesn't make money?

@raindog308 said: What's wrong with IPMI?

It sucks up 0.2A+ of power. Maybe that doesn't sound like much but expand that over all of the gear we have and you have some serious power savings :)

Egi/HE are both very fast when it comes to KVM moving so any maintenance we need done is handled very quickly and usually not much slower than if I was to have IPMI's.

Francisco

@Corey said: @Francisco I'm not sure why an investor would throw money at something that doesn't make money?

Twitter, Facebook, Myspace, Softlayer, etc, etc, etc....

Francisco

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Corey said: So let me get this strait, hostgator is a novice? They offer all of these services and market to different types of customers.

Burstnet is a novice? They also offer all of these services and market to different types of customers.

The two worst possible examples you could name... only GoDaddy is missing in that list.

@joepie91 said: @Corey said: So let me get this strait, hostgator is a novice? They offer all of these services and market to different types of customers.

They just resell theplanet for the dedi's and charge 2x the list price. Do you think you have the reach hostgator does? No, we don't either so we don't quite have their huge client base to market all these new things to :)

Burstnet is a novice? They also offer all of these services and market to different types of customers.

They also use nothing but desktop equipment for their dedi's. I doubt they sell many i7/i5's since they're at $150, rather they're moving lots of the Q6600's since they can get those for a dime a piece on ebay.

Francisco

• AldryicAldryic Member

@Corey said: Oh, I do apologize that I got two words wrong in my 'INDIRECT' quote. You were arguing that you sell more than just VPS.

No worries. Just be more careful, two words is all it takes to significantly change the meaning of a phrase.

@Corey said: I assumed

That can be deadly :P

@Corey said: So let me get this strait, hostgator is a novice? They offer all of these services and market to different types of customers.

Never said anything of the kind. If further elaboration is necessary, though, take it to mean that some folks choose a specific market and business plan, and avoid taking on unnecessary headache. The companies you named are also rather large, and can afford to devote entire divisions to a service type. Most of the hosts here do not wish to accumulate that many staff members.

@Corey said: The list goes on and on... but I do understand your viewpoint of having a NICHE and sticking to that niche.

I don't think you understand so much as seem to want to take offense to things I say for some reason. I would hardly call the virtualization market a 'niche', considering just how large of an area it covers.

@Corey said: Just because I have suggested to expand to other niche for the benefit of your customers and profit of your company and wondering why more people don't do it does not make those that do a novice.

Looks to me like your initial post was hinting that providers who chose to operate under a Brand with a common descriptor in their name had limited themselves from ever branching out. Not so much a suggestion as a borderline questioning of competence.

@Corey said: It seems every chance you get you throw in a jab.

I say what's on my mind, and I don't sugarcoat things. Like I said a few paragraphs up, it's as if you want to perceive what I say as some type of insult. That choice, мой друг, was yours, and yours alone.

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2012

@Francisco said: So when you have to sell an E3 for $99/m to compete in the unmanaged dedi market, you're having to:

Pay for the physical box (lets say $1000 to have it in a 4 bay chassis to keep it future proofed)

Pay for your power/racks
    Pay for either your transport to the DC or for admin hours in the DC
    Pay for bandwidth
    Now, lets say you use one of the very affordable racking options, either HE or Colounlimited and snag a rack for $500/m. You then sell boxes for $99/ea and can only fit 15 (an amp for a switch) to a rack due to power (HE doesn't sell more power, don't know about colounlimited). Lets say you fill the rack and don't need more BW since you got a bunch of BW sipper clients, so:

$99/m from the client

• $33/m per server to operate

$66/m gross profits

I have Half Cabinet with colounlimited from 22th May for $498 with some additions it up to $720 per month, Thanh Tran the owner i guess he is nice guy.

their ips resolve to Canada here is my Gateway198.154.100.17 :D

http://whois.domaintools.com/198.154.100.17

• AldryicAldryic Member

@miTgiB said: IPMI

Not everybody disabled it on the motherboard, only @Fransisco does ;)

A good point sir. I'm not overly familiar with the area, so I concede to your wisdom there :P

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited May 2012

@Francisco said: It sucks up 0.2A+ of power.

I seriously doubt this, what are your E3's drawing? Mine are 0.8A with 4 drives and a raid card and 24gb of ram

EDIT: Power on is 0.8A on my kill-a-watt

@miTgiB said: I seriously doubt this, what are your E3's drawing? Mine are 0.8A with 4 drives and a raid card and 24gb of ram

EDIT: Power on is 0.8A on my kill-a-watt

Mine are just over 1A but they're not on higher end PSU's so that's why :)

On our dual quads, those eat the 0.2A. A lot has improved for ipmi's/etc since my duals came to market.

We actually had to turn them off when at HE just because their strips were crappy and they only put people on 15A breakers, not 20A on 80%

Francisco

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited May 2012

@Francisco said: Mine are just over 1A but they're not on higher end PSU's so that's why :)

Maybe I need to sit @Adryic and bz down for a lesson on $perA

• CoreyCorey Member

@Aldryic Never said anything of the kind. If further elaboration is necessary, though, take it to mean that some folks choose a specific market and business plan, and avoid taking on unnecessary headache. The companies you named are also rather large, and can afford to devote entire divisions to a service type. Most of the hosts here do not wish to accumulate that many staff members. I don't think you understand so much as seem to want to take offense to things I say for some reason. I would hardly call the virtualization market a 'niche', considering just how large of an area it covers.

Virtualization is a niche, you even said 'some folks choose a specific market and business plan'
    Definition of Niche: a distinct segment of a market.

@Aldryic Most of the hosts here do not wish to accumulate that many staff members.

I didn't realize you would need to hire very many more staff members to manage your reseller and dedicated customers. (I see that you sell shared hosting and reseller hosting on frantech.)

In your specific case it seems like you guys created buyvm to offer low end budget deals to keep it separate from frantech's more 'high end' offerings. This isn't at all what I'm referring to with other companies.

I wasn't questioning anyone's competence as you say. I was merely wondering why some companies choose to only offer vps and limit their selves with their brand name to one market.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

@Corey said: WE ONLY SELL VPS!

This is not true at all for us at least. We have 17 resold dedicated machines.

@Corey said: why some companies choose to only offer vps

With dedi's it's the cost and the fear of a chargeback I guess. I know of a few VPS companies that resold dedi's and got stuck with $1000+ in chargebacks (they accepted a payment for a year-up-front dedi) and then however much the host charged for the month.

I can't compete in that market, it's just too slim :)

If you got access to cheap hardware, by all means go for it, but if you had a choice between a dedi and a vps node, the VPS node will be your money maker.

Francisco

• AldryicAldryic Member

@Corey said: Definition of Niche: a distinct segment of a market.

Fair enough sir. English is not my native, and I will occasionally mix my words.

@Corey said: I didn't realize you would need to hire very many more staff members to manage your reseller and dedicated customers. (I see that you sell shared hosting and reseller hosting on frantech.)

Reseller? Likely wouldn't need additional staff... especially since we abolished the reseller system from BuyVM. Because of the demand for stock, it's uneconomical and unfair that some folks would be able to hold reservations at will for their reselling, while everyone else had to sit and wait.

As far as webhosting (shared and reseller), that was BuyShared, a project we kicked up and around mainly for amusement (and to get some use from our cPanel box). None of those plans are available anymore, actually.

Keep in mind, there are three fulltime staff members. Two of us that work the billing and ticket system. In order to start catering to Dedicated clients (even if we wanted to waste the power and hardware), that would call for additional manpower.

@Corey said: In your specific case it seems like you guys created buyvm to offer low end budget deals to keep it separate from frantech's more 'high end' offerings. This isn't at all what I'm referring to with other companies.

Not quite. Frantech offered semi-managed services at decent pricing. BuyVM started up as an experiment to test the waters in the unmanaged market... same plans, same hardware; just lower cost and no management. We decided that BuyVM was ideal for how we wanted to run things, and EOL'd the Frantech line.

@Corey said: I was merely wondering why some companies choose to only offer vps and limit their selves with their brand name to one market.

I've already pointed out that, despite having 'VM' in our name, we haven't limited ourselves at all. Just like how, even though your company contains 'domain', you offer more than just reseller registration.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited May 2012

Interesting topic. It crossed also my mind more than once how some vps hosting companies "VM, VPS" names can be limitating for future expansion. It's not like VPS hype will last forever and this branch of hosting business will sooner or later follow shell hosting, shared hosting.. path.
    From example above.. BuyVM seems nice & appealing name for vps hosting company however long term I would prefer to build brand around FranTECH name. Just think further... have bigger ambitions and then stop with own datacenter idea. BuyVM datacenter? Yeah, sure... :) No one knows what future will bring, can't 100% predict future however why limit yourself with name which is strictly vps oriented in business sphere which constantly evolve.

@Spirit,

The thing is a VPS can be turned into many things in the future such as cloud etc. So I think VPS will be around for quite awhile.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited May 2012

Yes, of course. It can :) And yet you may get ambition to expand to own little DC in future.
    (just example)

Thats why I went with a generic name for my LLC and have DBA as other names under the LLC :)

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited May 2012

@Spirit said: And yet you may get ambition to expand

@CVPS_Chris said: Thats why I went with a generic name for my LLC

You see... we're still talking about same thing after all :P

• CoreyCorey Member

@aldryic you speak very good English considering it's not your first language.

@Corey said: @aldryic you speak very good English considering it's not your first language.

He corrects my franglish all the time =\

Francisco

• AldryicAldryic Member

@Corey said: @aldryic you speak very good English considering it's not your first language.

I don't believe in doing things halfway. It also helps that I live in the US.

• beardbeard Member

@Corey said: Of course you could sell dedi and reseller hosting as well, but then who would buy from you? Your name screams, WE ONLY SELL VPS! Then, why would you only sell vps besides the fact that it may be a 'sub brand'?

Sell off your VPS brand to whomever. Rinse. Wash. Repeat.

• earlearl Member

Anyone ever use blade servers? Sometimes I see those on Craigslist for dirt cheap... wonder if you could profit with them?