Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Provider Names
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Provider Names

CoreyCorey Member
edited May 2012 in General

Is it just me or does anyone else find it funny that a lot of low end providers here use 'vps' or 'vm' in their name? Ex, miniVPS, VMPort, ChicagoVPS, sshVM, BlueVM, EaseVPS, AlienVPS, buyvm, chvps.... the list goes on and on but I was just looking at the providers on lebox and stopped clicking 'older posts' after a while.

This limits the market and expansion of any company with a name like this. Of course you could sell dedi and reseller hosting as well, but then who would buy from you? Your name screams, WE ONLY SELL VPS! Then, why would you only sell vps besides the fact that it may be a 'sub brand'? Do you think the other markets would cost to much for you to get in to? Are you seriously trying to limit your reach to only vps customers as a hosting provider? How can you be taken seriously if all you do is sell virtual private servers?

This isn't meant to single out anyone just merely to discuss why you would choose to brand yourself with the word 'vps' in your name.

Comments

• rds100rds100 Member

Having VPS in the name seems normal for me when the specific brand is meant to sell VPS services. What is really confusing for me is all the companies with "layer" in their name...

• CoreyCorey Member

@rs100 or rack? yes those too.....

But - one of the questions were..... Why would you limit yourself to only vps services and how can you be taken seriously as a provider when all you offer is vps services to your customers.

• rds100rds100 Member

Why not? You sell VPS services and do it really well.. why not include VPS in the name? If you want to sell dedis you can always create a new domain, new brand, etc.

• CoreyCorey Member

@rds100 and spend lots more money creating a new brand. Seems wasteful.... because then your branding efforts will be spread among multiple outlets. You could have one brand and then be known for all of the above.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Inception Hosting.... host your services within a server within a server :p

Often thought the same though, it is kind of limiting although having the word VPS in your domain no doubt helps with SEO etc.

• @AnthonySmith said: Often thought the same though, it is kind of limiting although having the word VPS in your domain no doubt helps with SEO etc.

Yes, the naming is generally about SEO. Especially when the name matches the URL...

• DimeCadmiumDimeCadmium Member
    edited May 2012

@Corey there are plenty of companies who have several brands that do the same thing, even.

Having separate brands for each type of endeavor means prospective clients go "oh, this site sells VPS" and "oh, this site sells dedi's". That's why they have it in the name usually - it tells people what's for sale. shrug (related: SEO, as said above)

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited May 2012

@vmstormvps @anthonysmith @DimeCadmium

Yet none of those providers are ranking for any popular key terms, so SEO can't be the excuse.

@DimeCadmium Also prospective clients can go
    'Oh this provider only sells VPS, so I will search elsewhere for my upgrade to dedi'.
    'Oh I can't downgrade to something that I am more comfortable with like a reseller plan because this provider doesn't sell it. SO I will search elsewhere.'
    'Oh I'm not savvy enough to manage this vps so I will have to search elsewhere for a managed vps.'

Edit:
    @vmstormvps what keyword do you rank for other than vmstorm and vmstormvps I'm not seeing anything from my tools @ seomoz. Although, I really like your website.

• AldryicAldryic Member

@Corey said: How can you be taken seriously if all you do is sell virtual private servers?

How can you expect to be taken seriously with a brand that indicates you only sell domains?

Thanked by 1Mon5t3r
  • CoreyCorey Member
    edited May 2012

@Aldryic

Our brand is ydgh (isn't the best idea but it wasn't my idea.) YDGH means something, but we don't go around saying hey come over to your domain goes here... we say... hey come over to YDGH.

Nonetheless I'm not sure how it indicates we only sell domain names, as most everyone in the hosting industry has a domain name and it has to go somewhere. In our case, it goes here.

Sounds like you got a little bit offended there and needed to lash out but didn't think about what you were saying.

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

For example i"d to sell vps only so i will use letgoaway.com? Or what i "d use?
    For me i'm not planing to provide more than vps right now maybe dedicated server in future but it will be have different domain name.

• CoreyCorey Member

@key12 and why are you only providing vps services? You are loosing potential customers. Why don't you already sell dedicated servers? Why would you start a new brand and split your branding efforts?

• laaevlaaev Member

URPad for the win

edited May 2012

Well,

Here is the answer if i looking to providing dedicated server how many server need to start? And how much will cost? I can start my vps provider by 10K only for just few nodes instead of risk invest more than 20K to provide dedicated server hope get the point.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@FTN_Kevin said: URPad for the win

Not really unless you're a tampon brand marketed to the hood.

What have I done.

:3

Francisco

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited May 2012

@FTN_Kevin great name and great site kevin, but as we are aware you have multiple brands under the hood? Care to share those?

That's a dirty way to think of it @Fransisco :P

• CoreyCorey Member

@key12 and that is one of the reasons why customers should be afraid isn't it? For you to not have enough money to keep the business running?

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Corey said: Why don't you already sell dedicated servers?

Lower profit with higher demands. It is harder to compete with the datacenters, and they have a hard time competing with VPS providers, and not too many want web hosting anymore.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited May 2012

@miTgiB We can agree there is a lower profit margin and it's harder to compete with datacenters, but are you saying you would rather loose that customer to a datacenter just because of the margin? It's not like you won't make any money from it.

If not many wanted web hosting why are there so many popular names competing for web hosting and reseller hosting on google?

• rds100rds100 Member

@miTgiB i think there is still market for the standard shared hosting services? Most people are not technical experts and don't know what do with a VPS or dedicated server so need something easier.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Corey said: are you saying you would rather loose that customer to a datacenter just because of the margin?

Yes

@Corey said: why are there so many popular names competing for web hosting and reseller hosting on google?

Stupidity

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited May 2012

@miTgiB While I agree that yahoo has made some stupid moves, they are still a giant... and I don't believe they are stupid. I was thinking hostgator built it's business around web hosting and resellers too. There are tons more less tech savvy people out there that wouldn't have a clue about a vps or a dedicated server.

We are different in the sense that I would rather keep a customer making a lower profit margin than loose him to another company.

Edit: OHH, and there is a much larger profit margin on shared and reseller hosting customers.

• laaevlaaev Member
    edited May 2012

@Francisco said: Not really unless you're a tampon brand marketed to the hood.

Sir, our pad is your pad!

Pad

@Corey said: great name and great site kevin, but as we are aware you have multiple brands under the hood? Care to share those?

We are a parent of FTNHosting which also owns K-Disk.net (K-Disk Networks) and VMPort, the only company with "VM" in it would be VMPort

Thanked by 1Francisco
    edited May 2012

@Corey said: and that is one of the reasons why customers should be afraid isn't it? For you to not have enough money to keep the business running?

I have enough money to running 2 business not one but the question is why i'd risk to fund 20K or 30K in first few months? It bad idea to risk in few months
    We have paid 1k for our custom vps control panel if we don't have enough fund why we paid 1K for control panel only?

!(http://i46.tinypic.com/25r1shk.jpg)

As rhe coder should be finished this month.

Sorry for mistake i'm on Iphone!

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited May 2012

@FTN_kevin thank you! I am aware that you just acquired vmport as well so that is a new addition to your group.....

I often browse letalk but don't say much. You got a redesign on k-disk didn't you?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Corey said: I don't believe they are stupid.

I know people who work/have worked there.

Yes, they are stupid.

I am laughing right now at Yahoo's new phone app - it's called "Axis". I wonder if the icon will be a swastika or a rising sun...

• CoreyCorey Member

@key12 why do you have to risk anything to advertise and offer something? Theoretically you don't have to put anything into action until you have your first order.

• CoreyCorey Member

@raindog308, just because SOME of the people that work there are stupid doesn't mean they are stupid.... wait hold on... They sold their search engine to bing.... yes they are stupid.

• laaevlaaev Member

@Corey said: You got a redesign on k-disk didn't you?

Correct, we re-designed it a couple weeks after we acquired it in early 2012. We will be re-designing VMPort shortly as well :)

@Corey said: why do you have to risk anything to advertise and offer something? Theoretically you don't have to put anything into action until you have your first order.

how many orders do you expect in your first months? why i should paid for something will not used in first few month?!!