Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The leak - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The leak

Comments

• So why exactly do you need the right to carry guns nowadays?

• @GetKVM-Ash said: Yet another thread successfully derailed.

• AldryicAldryic Member

@gsrdgrdghd said: So why exactly do you need the right to carry guns nowadays?

The Amendment isn't necessarily about carrying, but the right to own and retain.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@gsrdgrdghd said: So why exactly do you need the right to carry guns nowadays?

Because nobody can get an amendment to the constitution passed to revoke the 2nd amendment. That is the only way I can see to take this right away, and just because you have the right does not mean you must exercise it.

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited May 2012

Make a new thread!

• yomeroyomero Member

@GetKVM-Ash said: Make a new thread!

This

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@GetKVM-Ash said: Make a new thread!

With 3 or 4 WHMCS leak based threads, one being derailed will have no effect ;)

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited May 2012

@miTgiB said: With 3 or 4 WHMCS leak based threads, one being derailed will have no effect ;)

Talking about guns is surely better then talking about 16,000 credit cards being stolen.

• yomeroyomero Member

@Daniel said: Talking about guns is surely better then talking about 16,000 credit cards being stolen.

This time I'm not sure :P

• @BlueVM said: The problem I have is that Host Gator gave away the needed information without even bothering to call the owner of the company about the request.

HG verification policy: they will ask for account PIN; last 4 CC or PayPal txn ID; email or call to address/# on file. (in that order)

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Randy said: great, we are all screwed

they hacked whmcs because:

Apparently, the company became a target after the hacktivists learned that it offered its services to cybercriminals and fraudsters.

“Many websites use WHMCS to scam and rip people off. For example: Users from "hackforums.net" are using WHMCS to sell illegal hosting, booters, malware, etc,” a member of UGNazi explained.

“We have reported these sites to WHMCS before and they did not take any action whatsoever to stop the illegal activity. By releasing their files, we wanted to make it known that we are watching; and will continue to be watching.”

:(

HAHAHAHA.

Yeah, no. I'm pretty damn sure that was something they made up later to justify it - their initial attitude was quite different.

• djvdorpdjvdorp Member
    edited May 2012

@joepie91: tell us what it was then?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@Randy said: how about home address?

buy a new house?>

So you're saying that WHMCS leaked the same details in your public WHOIS or company registration that is also publicly accessible?? OH NOES!!!! You mean your right to privacy doesn't exist online?? OH NOES!!!!

• @Dionysus said: Wouldn't you want to conserve a modicum of privacy even if most of the information is out there?

You don't always get what you want.

@djvdorp said: @joepie91: tell us what it was then?

I recall reading what I think was a tweet (may also have been a pastebin not sure) from UGNazi which, in response to "but you said you wouldn't expose private information", basically said that was the policy of an ex-member, and that they didn't care anymore. That shows quite a different attitude.

• MrDOSMrDOS Member
    edited May 2012

@joepie91 said: what I think was a tweet

It was a tweet, although it's not visible now. Something about the way it was said makes me think that UGNazi was once comprised of at least two members but is now just a one-man show.

@djvdorp said: @joepie91: tell us what it was then?

@MrDOS said: It was a tweet, although it's not visible now. Something about the way it was said makes me think that UGNazi was once comprised of at least two members but is now just a one-man show.

Coming back to this, found it:

Screenshot in case it gets removed: http://owely.com/6UN6za

Thanked by 1MrDOS
  • Cancel your credit card and change your password. Problem solved. ;)

You make it sound so simple 'xDDDDDD'

Seriously -_-''

• It should be not more than one call to your credit card company.

• @HerrMaulwurf said: It should be not more than one call to your credit card company.

Don't you also have to pay a fee for a new card (at least in germany)?

• Depends on the credit card company I guess. As far as I know you only have to pay if you loose your credit card, not sure about hacked data.

• AldryicAldryic Member

@HerrMaulwurf said: not sure about hacked data.

You should probably refrain from giving out advice for fraud if you've had no experience. The first thing to do would be reporting potential false charges and working with the CC company to identify those, if any. Especially given how some... folks... in this very community have taken the liberty to "test" some of the retrieved CC data. (Looks like we are turning into HackForums after all)

Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@Wintereise said: You make it sound so simple 'xDDDDDD'

It is simple. LoL. It literally took me all of 2 minutes to fix the "damage".

• HerrMaulwurfHerrMaulwurf Member
    edited May 2012

@aldryic Just don't know if they charge fees for the new credit card. I became victim of CC fraud and now how to deal with this. My bank where I have my CC took no fee.

Contact you CC provider and report them all suspicious transactions. But everyone who finds his CC number in the leaked database should contact his CC company immediately and let them suspend the CC. Btw in my opinion it's morally okay to check the DB for his own CC number.

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member

Why care about a replacement fee of a few bucks over the risk of dealing with a few hundred in fraud.

I am pretty sure no one is going to charge a fee to replace a card thats been leaked along with another half mil people.

• AldryicAldryic Member

@HerrMaulwurf said: @aldryic Just don't know if they charge fees for the new credit card. I became victim of CC fraud and now how to deal with this. My bank where I have my CC took no fee.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound rude in my prior statement. I've been on both sides of this lovely fence (having a card stolen and investigating fraud cases).. here's a quick checklist that folks really should follow.

1. Get with your CC company and see if there's any suspicious transactions. If not, go ahead and inform them of the situation (so that they can put a halt on any pending purchases) and get the card cancelled/reissued.

2. If there are transactions that you haven't made, let your CC company know that you need to report the theft to the police before taking any further action. Get the rep's name, phone#, extensions, and the case/ticket number and let them know you'll call them back shortly.

3. Get with your local PD, bring them up to speed, and ask them if they want to try and track down the person using your card. Give them the info you got from the CC rep, get a name/number/etc from the PD as a point of contact, then call the CC company back.

4. Let your CC rep know what's going on. From this point, they might either leave the card 'open' (without you being liable for charges) in order to work with the police, or they may cancel the card. But now that they know there might be a legal investigation, they'll keep better track of failed transactions from that card, and there will be a much better chance of the thief getting caught.

Doing this will not only give you good CYA, but make it much more difficult for anyone using the stolen info to make a clean break.

• You should keep in mind that what @Aldryic says might only be true in the US. In other countries CCs get issued by your bank so you'll have to message your bank to detect fraud/cancel your card and not Visa/MC.

Also if someone is unsure weather their private/cc info is in the leaked files you can drop me a PM and i'll check for you.

• AldryicAldryic Member

@gsrdgrdghd said: You should keep in mind that what @Aldryic says might only be true in the US. In other countries CCs get issued by your bank so you'll have to message your bank to detect fraud/cancel your card and not Visa/MC.

Very true, thank you for pointing that out. This also applies to US as well, since both banks and CC companies will issue cards.

• It's also very important that you notivy your bank/Visa/MC immediately. If you do not, it's possible and even legal that your bank won't do a refund of the money stolen from your CC. Here in Germany, banks are only forced to refund if you claim the wrong transactions within 6 weeks.

• It is simple. LoL. It literally took me all of 2 minutes to fix the "damage".

You're forgetting that not all people have a 'hosting only' card we can part with that easily. I have tons of other services on it, and it's gonna take time to find and update them all. Time I'm sure I could spend doing better things.

There indeed is a replacement fee (HSBC) in here, not sure if it applies for hacked shit too. All in all, all I'm saying is that you should not be treating it this lightly. Just because Matt went full retard doesn't mean we all need to suffer.

That said, I'll be monitoring smses from my bank for a while now. The realtime alerts are sweet.