Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The leak - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The leak

Comments

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@PytoHost said: Shit happens

That stops being a valid excuse when you fail to notify your customers, use unsalted MD5 for admin logins, roll your own encryption, fail to lock out KNOWN intruders from your e-mail despite knowing the entire situation, and a few other things that made me look at WHMCS in a slightly different light.

This wasn't just an unfortunate incident; they fucked up, plain and simple.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@subigo said: This is the biggest fuck up I've seen in the hosting industry in a very long time. Maybe ever.

K T Ligesh taking his own life over ThrustVPS definatly qualifies as a bigger fuckup in my mind

• subigosubigo Member

@miTgiB said: K T Ligesh taking his own life over ThrustVPS definatly qualifies as a bigger fuckup in my mind

That's the only other thing that I was thinking about that could come close... but that didn't really matter to the majority of the hosting industry. That just showed VAserv to be huge douche liars and Ligesh to have some serious mental issues.

• @subigo said: That's the only other thing that I was thinking about that could come close... but that didn't really matter to the majority of the hosting industry. That just showed VAserv to be huge douche liars and Ligesh to have some serious mental issues.

I wonder how Matt is after this.

• RandyRandy Member

ARE THE DETAILS leaked in PLAIN TEXT? anyone managed to downlaod it and have a look?

• subigosubigo Member
    edited May 2012

@Randy said: ARE THE DETAILS leaked in PLAIN TEXT? anyone managed to downlaod it and have a look?

lol... Just read some of the old posts. Everything but the passwords and credit card numbers were leaked in plain text. The passwords are only MD5'd and a lot are already cracked. The credit card numbers are cracked and being passed around IRC.

• @Randy said: ARE THE DETAILS leaked in PLAIN TEXT? anyone managed to downlaod it and have a look?

I've downloaded it and imported it into a local DB. Although i didn't have much time to look over it (the import failed at some email table) the stuff i've seen was in plaintext.
    They have like 21 admin PWs (that are said to be unsalted md5s), i'm running a cracker on them right now to test if the admins used weak/sad passwords.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited May 2012

@gsrdgrdghd said: I've downloaded it and imported it into a local DB. Although i didn't have much time to look over it (the import failed at some email table) the stuff i've seen was in plaintext.

My copy also failed importing when it got half way through the emaillog, its just easier to use cat file.sql | grep "Whatever"

• RandyRandy Member

great, we are all screwed

they hacked whmcs because:

Apparently, the company became a target after the hacktivists learned that it offered its services to cybercriminals and fraudsters.

“Many websites use WHMCS to scam and rip people off. For example: Users from "hackforums.net" are using WHMCS to sell illegal hosting, booters, malware, etc,” a member of UGNazi explained.

“We have reported these sites to WHMCS before and they did not take any action whatsoever to stop the illegal activity. By releasing their files, we wanted to make it known that we are watching; and will continue to be watching.”

:(

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@Randy said: great, we are all screwed

How so?

• @Randy said: “Many websites use WHMCS to scam and rip people off. For example: Users from "hackforums.net" are using WHMCS to sell illegal hosting, booters, malware, etc,” a member of UGNazi explained.

I guess they don't realise that all these people use nulled WHMCS in datacenters that don't give a damn.

• RandyRandy Member

like OVH? lol. well yeah the hackers are too stupid too

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • AdamAdam Member

They hacked it because they could. They probably try to hack/social engineer hundreds of services for every one success.

If they truly wished to fulfill a gallant pursuit such as ridding the world of those who illegally use WHMCS, they would have attempted to hack those using it for "illegal hosting, booters, malware, etc".
    Comparatively If they hacked Gmail, their reasons would be:
    "Many people send email spam to rip people off..."
    "We have reported these sites to Gmail through their 'Report Spam' button, but no action whatsoever was taken to stop these emails from showing in our Inboxes..."

@Randy said: great, we are all screwed

they hacked whmcs because:

Apparently, the company became a target after the hacktivists learned that it offered its services to cybercriminals and fraudsters.

“Many websites use WHMCS to scam and rip people off. For example: Users from "hackforums.net" are using WHMCS to sell illegal hosting, booters, malware, etc,” a member of UGNazi explained.

“We have reported these sites to WHMCS before and they did not take any action whatsoever to stop the illegal activity. By releasing their files, we wanted to make it known that we are watching; and will continue to be watching.”

:(

• RandyRandy Member

KuJoe

KuJoe our data has been leaked?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@Randy said: KuJoe our data has been leaked?

Cancel your credit card and change your password. Problem solved. ;)

• RandyRandy Member

how about home address?

buy a new house?>

• beardbeard Member

@subigo said: This is 100% Matt's fault for running a company that makes $500,000+/MONTH and relying on a dedicated server with cPanel installed and "managed" by HG.

I'd put some guy on salary, put him through school, etc with that kind of money coming in each month

• AldryicAldryic Member

@Randy said: how about home address?

buy a new house?>

You're either 13, or a troll -_-;

• nabonabo Member
    edited May 2012

Right, but you knew that something like that could happen. It is the internet. You gave your private details to persons you don't know. Indeed, you just passed credentials that seem to be so important to you to something that has been formed by pixels on your screen. If that credentials are so important to you, why did you even pass them around? That's why in RL people buy stuff cash if they don't want to give out credentials to the seller. Or they simply don't buy it at all.

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited May 2012

-edit-

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

Be sure you come bearing gifts, I prefer cookies and cake. Otherwise I am proudly carrying American who will shoot intruders.

Thanked by 1jar
  • AldryicAldryic Member

@miTgiB said: Otherwise I am proudly carrying American who will shoot intruders.

You know, I must say that is the absolute best part about living in the south. I've never had someone as much as trespass, let alone try to break in. Knowing that the resident of a home can legally shoot you when you try is a great deterrent to thieves :3

Thanked by 2djvdorp jar
  • miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Aldryic said: the absolute best part about living in the south.

Arizona is legal to concealed carry unless otherwise posted.

• I can't believe Guns are still legal in America to be held by anyone.

• RandyRandy Member
    edited May 2012

bad news now whmcs.com down it seems that the hackers are back again with their attacks

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Daniel said: I can't believe Guns are still legal in America to be held by anyone.

I can't believe only criminals can have guns in the UK. You do know, guns do not kill people, people kill people.

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited May 2012

@miTgiB said: guns do not kill people

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • @miTgiB said: I can't believe only criminals can have guns in the UK. You do know, guns do not kill people, people kill people.

No, some police have guns.

• Yet another thread successfully derailed.

Thanked by 2nabo lbft
  • miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Daniel said: No, some police have guns

You really need to understand why Americans have the right to keep and bear arms. This is a fundamental right from the Bill or Rights, or the 2nd Amendment to our Constitution, in order that the people can protect ourselves from a tyrannical government as we were subjected to as British subjects. We had to fight a war over this.

The meaning of our 2nd Amendment has evolved greatly over the past couple of hundred years, but how it came about I feel is well thought out by the founding fathers. To just accept what crumbs your Government allows, which is little more than the continued little allowed by the Magna Carta, will keep you sheeple. Every now and then the halls of freedom must be refreshed with blood.