Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WHT Keeps crashing my browser.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WHT Keeps crashing my browser.

Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
edited May 2012 in General

For some reason, every time i try and go on WHT its crashing my browser with a "Plugin is not responding" error.

Anybody else having issues? Im using Chrome.

Comments

• @liam said: internet explorer

Please tell me you didn't just say that.

• Ok my PC is just been damn right weird today, it wont play any mp3s either.

• AldryicAldryic Member

Sounds to me like it's time to switch to Debian, Ash :P

• @Aldryic said: Sounds to me like it's time to switch to Debian, Ash :P

Ubuntu is nicer to newer users.

• @Aldryic said: Sounds to me like it's time to switch to Debian, Ash :P

I just cant use linux as a everyday desktop. No sorry, i could, but the "better half" wouldn't have a clue.

• Not one of my media players will play mp3s :S

Itunes (Wont open full stop), VLC or WMP just hangs and doesn't play the file. Any ideas..

• DamianDamian Member

@Aldryic said: Sounds to me like it's time to switch to Debian, Ash :P

Or stop going to WHT...

:X

Thanked by 1yomero
  • This is just weird. Restarted about 5 times, nothing is working now apart from chrome and LET lmfao.

Just tried youtube, it just crashed instantly. Tried running security essentials, its just hanging. Half of my applications just wont open, nor can i terminate the processes.

Hard drive on its way out possibly? Its weird.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Do a hdd scan from Bios (if you have it) do a virusscan from live-cd ... stuff like that.

Hope you have backups :)

• TaylorTaylor Member

Have you turned it off and on?

Thanked by 1ElliotJ
  • I would have thought if it was the HDD though, that boot up etc would be slow. The PC is still responding fast its just nothing, apart from LET is working. Any other website/program is just crashing instantly.

Its like im missing something, flash or java update maybe?

Only reason for me thinking this is that LET is all static content and no BS.

• @Taylor said: Have you turned it off and on?

Five times, same every time.

• Security essentials is hanging when scanning the following file;

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\acpi.sys

• NickMNickM Member

@GetKVM-Ash said: the "better half" wouldn't have a clue.

My two cents: Switch anyways. Chances are she doesn't do anything other than Facebook and the twitters and similar stuff anyways. Unless she uses Photoshop/other Adobe CS products, or is a PC gamer, the OS doesn't matter.

• AdamAdam Member
    edited May 2012

Same advise as MikHo... Boot into safe mode and see if the problems persist. Sounds a bit like a virus though. I would suggest running combofix just to make sure: Combofix
    Other than that, is your hdd clicking?

• AldryicAldryic Member

@GetKVM-Ash said: No sorry, i could, but the "better half" wouldn't have a clue.

I took the time to convince mine to switch over. Much easier to help her learn *nix than to be constantly cleaning out infected Windows machines XD

• It keeps going really loud, but its always done that, it is a P4. Im not that fussed since i have a stack of these machines upstairs, its just getting the data off. It wont pick up any USB interface at the minute and its going to be impossible to run a virus check since no applications will open, even if i scroll the page on here it just crashes :(

• huluwahuluwa Member

Try to add this to your hosts file:

0.0.0.0 s0.2mdn.net

• Move to Ubuntu or another *NIX system.

If your managing LINUX/BSD/NIX servers then your going to find it much easier to manage them servers on a *NIX desktop. Native full openSSH support is one of them, as well as other nice stuff.

• NickMNickM Member

@GetKVM-Ash said: It keeps going really loud, but its always done that, it is a P4. Im not that fussed since i have a stack of these machines upstairs, its just getting the data off. It wont pick up any USB interface at the minute and its going to be impossible to run a virus check since no applications will open, even if i scroll the page on here it just crashes :(

So take the hard drive out, stick it in another machine as a slave, and copy the data off that way. I'd recommend doing it now, rather than trying to fix whatever the problem is, because if it is the hard drive, you're just going to end up losing more data the more you futz around with it.

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited May 2012

Back to the iPhone, pc is unusable which is fabulous for work. Luckily all our finance stuff is on live drive.

@liam lmfao millions? Yeah right.

Looks like its off to PCWorld for a new laptop, any recommendations?

@Aldryic so I gather Debian has a GUI? Have only ever usin Linux via command line, aside from my UBuntu KVM box :p

• AmitzAmitz Member

It could be a judgment from above because you have sold off your customers from one day to another... ;)

• @GetKVM-Ash said: @Aldryic so I gather Debian has a GUI? Have only ever usin Linux via command line, aside from my UBuntu KVM box :p

Debian has like.. 12

• nabonabo Member
    edited May 2012

@GetKVM-Ash said: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\acpi.sys

ACPI is the power management. Is your PSU still alright? You might want to boot into your BIOS and do a memory check, after that start Windows in safe mode and do a defrag, update and virus scan. I guess you have a quite current restore point?

• @Amitz, I don't believe in all that crazy talk :) but point taken.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • AldryicAldryic Member
    edited May 2012

@GetKVM-Ash said: @Aldryic so I gather Debian has a GUI? Have only ever usin Linux via command line, aside from my UBuntu KVM box :p

Debian supports pretty much any window manager that Ubuntu would. My personal preference is either fluxbox or a highly-tweaked KDE4 (I can't stand gnome >_<). I don't even have a Windows machine at the house anymore... all Debian and Gentoo :P

• rds100rds100 Member

I'd say go for Debian. Ubuntu is just broken debian.

Thanked by 3Aldryic yomero tux
  • nabonabo Member

@Aldryic said: I can't stand gnome >_<

TinyWM <3

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

During my years at AOL tech support I was taught there is always one answer...
    Run a defrag, turn off your computer for one hour, then call back if you have any issues. Before I let you go I just want you to know that AOL has arranged for you to receive $25 in free shopping money just for trying AOL's NetMarket. If you'll hold on the line someone will give you details.

They wondered why they had such a high call volume...

• @Aldryic said: Debian supports pretty much any window manager that Ubuntu would. My personal preference is either fluxbox or a highly-tweaked KDE4 (I can't stand gnome >_<). I don't even have a Windows machine at the house anymore... all Debian and Gentoo :P

What about Cinnamon?

Thanked by 1TheHackBox