Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Internet is so cheap in America as compared to other countries? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why Internet is so cheap in America as compared to other countries?

Comments

• BradBrad Member

@Pwner said:

Probably, but I don't have a bundle with them. Anyways, it's hard to upload files/videos onto YouTube with that kind of speed. Anyone got suggestions for a new provider(contract expires this month, coincidentally)?

• PwnerPwner Member

@Brad said:

I'm looking for the same thing. Man, I can't wait until Google Fiber kicks in already.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Pwner said: Man, I can't wait until Google Fiber kicks in already.

Well, I have heard about it for 1 year or so, in that time they only opened in 3 cities?

• PwnerPwner Member

@Maounique said:
    Well, I have heard about it for 1 year or so, in that time they only opened in 3 cities?

Yes, it started with Kansas City, Kansas. Then Austin, Texas. and the third deployed city is Provo, Utah. They are working on about 15 more cities around the country to establish more fiber optic connections. As far as California, they will be adding it in Northern CA, mainly in San Jose and nearby locations. Hopefully they will hit Southern California within the year.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2014

Pwner said: Which city/state is this in and when can I move in?

As I said above this is in Russia, and not even Moscow or St. Petersburg, but 2000 km to the east, in some random town in the middle of nowhere. :)

Maounique said: Well, I have heard about it for 1 year or so, in that time they only opened in 3 cities?

Google doesn't actually want to provide Internet service, they just hope to scare the regular ISPs into doing so.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • BradBrad Member

@Pwner said:
    I'm looking for the same thing. Man, I can't wait until Google Fiber kicks in already.

Yeah.
    Off-topic: how you enjoying the heat? ;)

Thanked by 1Pwner
  • PwnerPwner Member

@Brad said:

Don't remind me. I walked home from school today in triple digit weather. It was a 5 minute walk from my school to my house. By the time I came home, I was soaked in sweat and had to take a shower to feel rejuvenated.

Pwner said: but they can't do it in my neighborhood since it's AT&T dominated.

Had the same shit some 5-7 years ago, they pretended they have no infrastrcuture. While i have 2 houses 300 m apart, one was in UPC and the other in RDS area, so, couldnt get decent links between them until I put a point to point wireless connection on the roofs.
    But then I didnt need 2 connections anymore, so, UPC lost a customer. However, they were slapped with big fines for this practice and reluctantly, both RDS and UPC come now in the other area if you insist. UPC lost so much after this that were almost bought by RDS, but that would have probably created a monopoly.
    The infrastructure bs is no longer possible in Bucharest at least, due to the netcity project, most streets are now connected to the city fiber ring operated by an independent company which brought thick fiber cables and put up exits near buildings every 100 m or so, there is no excuse anymore.

• PwnerPwner Member

@Maounique said:
    The infrastructure bs is no longer possible in Bucharest at least, due to the netcity project, most streets are now connected to the city fiber ring operated by an independent company which brought thick fiber cables and put up exits near buildings every 100 m or so, there is no excuse anymore.

I'm literally dying to see this happen with AT&T and Verizon. Once Google Fiber kicks in, they'll either get kicked out or have to meet the same packages. In Kansas, most of the city is using Google Fiber and Time Warner Cable is practically dead over there.

edited May 2014

Pwner said: I'm literally dying to see this happen with AT&T and Verizon.

The netcity project is done by the town hall and started because people pressured them to do something about the dangling cables everywhere:
    http://www.andreibartesch.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Cabluri-Bucuresti.jpg

One day the stock exchange got cut off some years ago because one of those poles caught fire from a trolley-bus accident. Now it is completely different in most areas, but netcity still has places to go.

• PwnerPwner Member

@Maounique said:
    One day the stock exchange got cut off some years ago because one of those poles caught fire from a trolley-bus accident. Now it is completely different in most areas, but netcity still has places to go.

From what I've heard, Google wants to run Fiber in LA, but they need to build a huge budget first to set in the infrastructure and obtain several permits by the city to make it all happen. Not to mention they also need to finish up their work up North too.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I feel bad for you guys. $74 USD for 200mbps symmetric, unlimited bw :p

• WilliamWilliam Member

Around 100$ for 100/10 cable, static IP, BW (they say) limited to a few TB but i never got capped to the infamous UPC 64Kbit.

• cfgguycfgguy Member, Host Rep

In gurgaon its 90 USD 100mbps line Fiber

William said: infamous UPC 64Kbit.

Oh, lol, here even mobile overages are not lower than 128.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2014

I think they were even forced by a court to not do that as it violates their own ToS (UPC ToS also went up to our highest court before and got half invalidated, but thats another story for another day)

I know some people that got limited to 64Kbit though, after 5-10TB, i did 15 in some and never had issues - I think they only do/did that when the uplink pop was congested which in my area is extremely unlikely even with everyone on 250Mbit (Pop in my basement for our 4 commie block/1000 people+ area, 10G+)

• nerouxneroux Member

Vienna said: (female pay gap of 39% included in these numbers, i.e. women earn less, men more)

Slightly off-topic, but its not women who earn less, but the jobs who are typical performed by women typically pay less. Major difference. Men in the same jobs wouldnt earn more.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I'm paying 10$ for 45mbps in daytime and ~90 in nighttime. The upload is slower, though. More like 20 in the daytime and 40 in nighttime. Through, it should be the same as the download. Anyway, who cares.

• WilliamWilliam Member

neroux said: Slightly off-topic, but its not women who earn less, but the jobs who are typical performed by women typically pay less.

Eh, no, in Austria it really is a problem that women in the same jobs are paid less.

• earlearl Member
    edited May 2014

ricardo said: Same Earl. Who are you with? I'm with a local provider (Bruce Municipal) but it's pretty much via Rogers.

There is FTTH here but most of my work is on remote servers, I rarely need the speed to this location.

Odd, I did not get a notification for this..

I'm with Teksavvy.. pretty much a wholesaler for Bell, I like them cause they seem to be fighting for your right for a better internet! remember the UBB thing that Bell wanted to implement? can't even imagine how much we would pay for internet if that bill ever got passed!

They also offer native IPv6 which is nice.. Oddly enough five houses down from me FTTH is available but currently not an option for me..

Wish I lived in Vancouver a company called onegigabit is offering 1Gbit for around $65/mo.. I would cancel all my servers and just host from home lol!

• nerouxneroux Member

William said: Eh, no, in Austria it really is a problem that women in the same jobs are paid less.

Not in my experience I am afraid (or not afraid in this context ;) )

neroux said: Men in the same jobs wouldnt earn more.

Problem is, nobody would hire a woman for some jobs, it is extremely rare to be in tech jobs over here, heck, even the sales people in tech companies, those that show you stuff in showrooms are young men. When I conducted a job interview for my former job to hire my replacement, HR sent me 121 CVs and there wasnt a single woman there. I checked their account at the online recruiting and there were 2 applicants that were rejected together with 6 men for reasons I dont know, but, while there were guys rejected, all the gals were. HR manager is a woman, though...

• nerouxneroux Member
    edited May 2014

Maounique said: Problem is, nobody would hire a woman for some jobs

We are talking about IT jobs I presume ....

The truth is - as always - somewhere in the middle. There will be definitely cases where the hiring process is based on gender, be it for men or women. In IT the problem I experienced is rather the low number of female applicants in general.

As for other fields, yes it would be great if we had a more even gender distribution across professions, but this usually comes down to very personal individual decisions and cannot "always" be pinned on the evil tyrant-like sexist monster bosses ;).

I am not necessarily objecting to the statement that women generally have lower incomes (as in absolute numbers) but to the dogma that women are generally paid less under the very same circumstances. Yes, if I work part time at a supermarket I will mostly likely make less than a full time bank clerk.

• In stockholm: 100/100 mbit : ~$24, 1000/1000 ~$55, 10gbit up/down : ~$120-$150

• wroxwrox Member
    edited May 2014

$50/month for wireless 80/40 through 4G with unlimited bandwidth in Sweden.

I get about 60/40 at best, with a ping equal to or better than ADSL in my area.

neroux said: In IT the problem I experienced is rather the low number of female applicants in general.

OKay, but 100% of the females were rejected while only some 5% of the males.
    I do not contest that in a supermarket the job is paying less than in a bank, but the problem is showing in same industry on non-industrial hiring jobs (for example, on big assembly lines for people doing exactly the same thing, hundreds at a time). Even there women get paid less, because they have a risk of becoming pregnant, for example, less endurance, hence more often sick, etc. To some point, it is normal and understandable, the people hiring face this conundrum, either hire only males and be sexist, or pay women less and be sexist, however, in IT, only the maternity risk can seriously be considered and even that is greatly mitigated with remote access.
    Fortunately, this is changing, at least in EU and in my country, the changes are enormous, but people automatically discriminate even if not aware at times.
    I mean, a woman in the army? A firefighter? A male nurse? Kindergarten teacher? First 2 are implausible, last two are laughed at.

• WilliamWilliam Member

(^10Gbit available in a handful buildings currently only)

• nerouxneroux Member
    edited May 2014

Maounique said: OKay, but 100% of the females were rejected while only some 5% of the males.

So what was the ratio then? It is actually easily possible that in absolute numbers more men were rejected.

Maounique said: however, in IT, only the maternity risk can seriously be considered and even that is greatly mitigated with remote access.

As I said, especially in IT I never experienced any discrimination based on gender. Only issue, you have barely any women applying for these jobs in the first place.

Maounique said: I mean, a woman in the army? A firefighter? A male nurse? Kindergarten teacher? First 2 are implausible, last two are laughed at.

This is a general social issue though and also affects men, as you can see from your example. A good friend of mine switched from a well paid IT job to a .... well, not so well paid day nanny job. He was the only male in the course he had to take. Should all men now cry discrimination?

neroux said: Should all men now cry discrimination?

Was he paid less? I dont think so, but it is possible he would be less employable, because, you know, men are sex predators. I am not saying this is done in purpose to hurt some category, it is simply a consequence of different builds, different metabolism rates, different wiring of the brain, etc. Thigs did change a lot, this shows it is possible, if someone wants to get into a certain job, will overcome the prejudice, that was not possible some years ago, but you must be more determined and generally better to do so and get similar benefits.
    For some people, the job is a hobby and will do it even for free. I know women which want to be soldiers or work in IT more than anything, that is almost a goal in itself, and they managed it. Also, most chefs are men, also designers, so fashion and cooking is not a female only business, far from it.
    I dont aim to enter a debate, I just pointed out some aspects which are facts, there are also different views in different parts of the world, same the discrimination is real, even in the west, most of it objective and/or involuntary.

• nerouxneroux Member

What was the men/women ratio in your example?

This discussion has been closed.