Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Internet is so cheap in America as compared to other countries? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why Internet is so cheap in America as compared to other countries?

Comments

• hashwaltzhashwaltz Member
    edited May 2014

I pay $6 for 512kbps/256kbps, really slow

• hoczajhoczaj Member
    edited May 2014

So I think comparing ONE product is pointless. There are things that a bit or much more expensive in other countries than in yours. Like: The fuel costs $ 3,7 for 1 gallon in the US right? In europe it is almost two times more... :)

But there are countries where you can fill your car for a price of a bottle of mineral water...

In Hungary you can drink the tap water. In most countries you cannot. And we pay a laughable amount for the tap water... :)
    You can get a 2 liter of mineral water for 20 cent? When I was to Aruba I had to pay 7 dollar for a 0,5 liter of mineral water.

So there are things that are much more a luxury in a country. But those things can be almost or even free in another country.

• wychwych Member

£50/m for 50 down and 18 up (meant to be 76mb/24).

• America is not cheap , its more expensive.

$55 for 30/4 or you can spend $90 and get 100/5 with charter in my area.

Cable in my home town is $60 for 3/500k because they cant get charter.

Untill google goes nation wide im stuck with the same crap service. Long live our google overlords.

• MakenaiMakenai Member

Well it is about the same over here in Latvia. Approximately 50% of population can have access to 1Gbps for about the same price, but there is just no point in such high network speed for normal users. We can live happily with our 100mbps and pay less.

• @Corey said:
    I wish those 3 cities spanned the whole USA. I have to pay $40/mo for 18mbit. The united states has some of the slowest and most expensive internet in the world.

I'm sorry, what?! I'm paying $80 for a line that barely hits 1mb/sec and I have 150GB/mth.

• I pay $15/mo for 500Mbps in the Netherlands

£4/month here (just under $7) for 30Mbit down, 2Mbit up.

Wanna trade? Comcast only charges $135 for 30mbps/5mbps and TV! Plus, free 10 hour outages are on the house!

Thanked by 2Sunn deejay31
  • ATHKATHK Member

Sigh I pay $88 AUD for a 1.5MB/S down and 100kb/s up line in Australia.. With 200GB bandwidth.... :(

• ZweiTigerZweiTiger Member
    edited May 2014

20mbit down , 10mbit up for..12 USD (unlimited BW)

• earlearl Member

I'm in Canada and I pay $40/mo for 6Mbps/800k but at least it's unlimited..

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

@hostnoob @infinity - It's on VM, and "officially" it's £25/month but my landlord pays £200 towards the yearly bill and we get 2 months free per year from VM (deal from the rep when he got us on the service). No line rental, so after landlord contribution and free months, it works out as £50 for the year.

Thanked by 2hostnoob deejay31
  • AT&T is charging 30 big-bucks for 3MB/s down, and 1 MB/s up. Oh, and 150GB's of data, and 15$ per-additional gigabytes.

• AuroraZAuroraZ Barred

Least you guys can get high speed. I have to use fraken dial up and pay 10 bucks a month for it.

There is a wireless option if I want to pay $500 bucks for them to install it then $50 a month for 1mb/512k. Satellite is about useless when it comes to working off them or doing anything meaningful I have found as well.

So yeah the U.S. has cheap internet alright. /sarcasm

• PwnerPwner Member

Google can't deploy its Fiber optic network fast enough. I swear when they move into Los Angeles, I'll be one of the first people on the list to use their services.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited May 2014

earl said: I'm in Canada and I pay $40/mo for 6Mbps/800k but at least it's unlimited..

Same Earl. Who are you with? I'm with a local provider (Bruce Municipal) but it's pretty much via Rogers.

There is FTTH here but most of my work is on remote servers, I rarely need the speed to this location.

• @AuroraZ said:
    Least you guys can get high speed. I have to use fraken dial up and pay 10 bucks a month for it.

There is a wireless option if I want to pay $500 bucks for them to install it then $50 a month for 1mb/512k. Satellite is about useless when it comes to working off them or doing anything meaningful I have found as well.

So yeah the U.S. has cheap internet alright. /sarcasm

Wow, where is that?

• AuroraZAuroraZ Barred

Just about the center of the lower peninsula of the state of Michigan.

• Rob92Rob92 Member

Well I am stuck on 3g or dial up due to non existent cable or DSL lines in my area...

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2014

Microlinux said: Could I pick just about any address in any major city and get 100Mbps speeds for that price?

Pretty much, well maybe in some cities you'll be looking at 40-50 Mbits for that price, and 100 will be a bit more expensive; and things generally go south as you head further towards eastern or northern remote areas (if you excuse the pun :).

In cities most people live in apartment buildings, and it's pretty easy to run 1-10 GBit fiber to such a building, then 100 Mbit regular Ethernet to each flat. Also one major reason for this kind of pricing and speeds, is competition. Typically in every such apartment complex you'll have a choice from 4-5 different ISPs. Setup fees are long forgotten, and there are usually no lock-in contracts, everyone just pays month-to-month so it's easy to switch. That's a very different story compared to the US when you have Comcast or Verizon as the only ISP for entire neighborhoods or towns.

• ViennaVienna Member

@hoczaj said:
    Vienna but to make a point: the average wage is € 492 (~$ 680)

In austria it is 2114 EUR (~ 2796 USD) If I'm correct. :)

I wasn't complaining, just amazed by the price difference for (almost) the same product in neighboring countries. Nobody is forced to pay that much anyway - very few really need more than a few Mb/s in reality. Fortunately, there are several options to get something like 6/0.5Mb/s uncapped DSL for less than €10/month if you already have a connected landline or some sort of relatively cheap 4G wireless if you only need a few GB per month. So it's a rather hypothetical comparison in the first place.

Btw. your income figures are a bit optimistic. According to the official numbers for 2012 the median gross income is just € 25,373 in Austria, which translates to € 1,346 net after taxes etc. per month (female pay gap of 39% included in these numbers, i.e. women earn less, men more). "Average" income is, unfortunately, a bit misleading as we have a very high wealth and income concentration at the top. Considering that € 1,066 (net per month) is the poverty threshold (and 13% of the working population is below), the majority is not as wealthy as it may seem at first glace, and since our employment figures are heavily manipulated, most young people start their professional live below the poverty line, even good university graduates with several languages, excellent scores etc. need quite some time to reach median income levels due to the skewed income distribution that heavily favours old and inefficient staff, especially in the bureaucratic structures, that can't be laid off but still has very high compenstion levels. Of course, I'm perfectly aware that this is still a lot better than in your country (your supermarket prices etc. are not much lower than ours, and we already feel the pain because we pay more than most other European countries, so it must be really tough for you...). Generally, I can consider myself lucky that Austria is still at the upper end in Europe, despite all the problems we have, and I'm not even mentioning specific political circumstances (also our government can be considered a bad joke, together with most career politicians regardless of their party affiliation, but at least I may still say so in public without having to fear major repercussions...).
    The Swiss median net income, o.t.o.h. is € 2,926 per month calculated the same way as for Austria. So it seems fair that you pay what you pay but rather interesting that the Swiss only pay 58% of our price for exactly the same product even though their median net income is more than twice as high as ours. ;-)

• ATHK said: Sigh I pay $88 AUD for a 1.5MB/S down and 100kb/s up line in Australia.. With 200GB bandwidth.... :(

Thats cheap

• SunnSunn Member

I use Verizon, which is really expensive, compared to other states or countries.

3/1 MBPS - 50 USD (only internet) @ NYC

• kendidkendid Veteran

Paying 100 grv per month (about USD $10) in Ukraine for 50/50 unlimited...

• AcacyAcacy Member

I paid 60$ 10mb down and 10mb upload
    Including tv package in malaysia.

• blackeyeblackeye Veteran

I pay 7,5US$ /month

with 512kbps down / 128kbps upload unlimited :V

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited May 2014

Romania is the top country (there are HK and singapore ahead but those are mostly towns) in the internet speed in the world.
    You can have 1 gbps best effort with about 300 mbps lower limit for some 13 eur with VAT in just about any town. 4G should be available everywhere if we are to trust another network of which I was never a customer. Their prices are not that low, though, even if the include 40 TV mobile channels, compared to only 15 or so on my network. They charge some 1 Eur per GB on 4g, though.
    RDS competition has higher prices and lower speeds, for example UPC offers 200 mbps for 15 Eur, but the price goes significantly lower for a package deal, with phone, tv and all.
    Romtelecom s present in all villages and they can give you at least 30/6 mbps on adsl, however, it costs 8 Eur+, their 50 mbps+phone 200 minutes anywhere is some 13 Eur, but is not available everywhere.

On package deals you get a lot. I pay 40 Eur+ VAT for:
    -FttB with 1 gbps best effort, about 300 mbps lowest limit.
    -Landline with unlimited national landline calls indifferent of company and 200 minutes anywhere, same on mobile phone. By anywhere i mean really around the world, except some things such as satellite phone companies. So it is landline+mobile.
    -All available TV channels with HD top box, some 100+ including HBO and other paid ones.
    -5 GB on 3g on phone.
    -5 GB on 3g on stick (but can use the sim in the phone too if i want, only that phone calls wont be available apart from VoIP).

Google fiber might be faster (probably guaranteed), but I pay less for much more services. Here a guaranteed 1 gbps line is some 75 Eur. Still, google fiber wins on 1:1 comparison.

• PwnerPwner Member
    edited May 2014

@rm_ said:
    In cities most people live in apartment buildings, and it's pretty easy to run 1-10 GBit fiber to such a building, then 100 Mbit regular Ethernet to each flat. Also one major reason for this kind of pricing and speeds, is competition. Typically in every such apartment complex you'll have a choice from 4-5 different ISPs. Setup fees are long forgotten, and there are usually no lock-in contracts, everyone just pays month-to-month so it's easy to switch. That's a very different story compared to the US when you have Comcast or Verizon as the only ISP for entire neighborhoods or towns.

Which city/state is this in and when can I move in? I live in Los Angeles, California and I swear it's the exact opposite. There are territories controlled by AT&T and Verizon and they don't compete at all. They just give the same shitty rates and same shitty service under different brands. The only good service I've heard is from Verizon FiOS (completely separated from Verizon's regular infrastructure), but they can't do it in my neighborhood since it's AT&T dominated.

• BradBrad Member

@Pwner said:
    Which city/state is this in and when can I move in? I live in Los Angeles, California and I swear it's the exact opposite. There are territories controlled by AT&T and Verizon and they don't compete at all. They just give the same shitty rates and same shitty service under different brands. The only good service I've heard is from Verizon FiOS (completely separated from Verizon's regular infrastructure), but they can't do it in my neighborhood since it's AT&T dominated.

I'm with ATT paying $30 for 15/1

• PwnerPwner Member

@Brad said:

Is that their U-Verse package? I've got phone and Internet bundled for that price but I'm only getting 1/.30 on their crap DSL.

This discussion has been closed.