Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5G SSD, 512MB RAM @ QuadraNet LA $4.87 yearly - XVM Labs - Page 8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

5G SSD, 512MB RAM @ QuadraNet LA $4.87 yearly - XVM Labs

Comments

• tomletomle Member, LIR

This is crap, leave my config alone. I'm changing back to port 22.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited May 2014

In order to prevent automated brute-force attacks the SSH port on your VPS was automatically changed.

@dcc You should check for running fail2ban..............i had it running.

• @dcc said:
    It is a one-time thing (also, a random port is now set upon VPS creation or reload). The node was being hammered by ssh brute force bots, so we had no choice.

It is safe to change it back to 22.

You had no choice? I don't know whether I'm more shocked at your method of stopping such an attack or the fact that you're changing people's configuration and are basically touching their files.

And if someone is hammering every port 80? Will you change all apache configurations to go to port 8080?

• nstormnstorm Member

Yep, I could confirm that after changing my sshd port back to 22 KiwiVM took its impudence againt to change it back to random port ;P

• lelewkulelewku Member

i googled xvmlabs wooooowww all reviews are made in chinese language.. maybe we can ban this country from...nevermind

• yywudiyywudi Member

I replaced sshd with dropbear, so change the sshd_config make no sense to me. :P

• WorldWorld Veteran
    edited May 2014

@lelewku said:
    i googled xvmlabs wooooowww all reviews are made in chinese language.. maybe we can ban this country from...nevermind

Yeah,you can do it.just ban all ips from China,ah,if you need more interest,you can DDOS 65536TB to CHINANET/CSTNET/CERNET and CHINAGBN,here you go:http://zh.wikipedia.org/zh/中国四大骨干网

BTW,please BREAK DOWN THE GFW FIRST LOL.

• I'm a bit more concerned about automated weak root password changes. I thought that the root password was stored hashed. How can Kiwi read these passwords?

• dccdcc Member, Host Rep

Guys,

Packing many containers on a single node comes with certain challenges. Installing any iptables rules on the hardware node will not really solve the issue, and will potentially cause additional trouble in the future - been there, done that a long time ago.

Does anyone prefer downtime to automatically changed SSH port?

We do not care if a few containers still run ssh on port 22, so feel free to change it back (I made sure it will not be changed again).

• trexostrexos Member

@dcc
    So you wont create a button to disable this?

• ElChileElChile Member

@dcc - I for one have no problem with you testing and changing stuff (like above) if it make this deal work for you. You have always shown good judgment in the past when balancing the needs of any one user, verse the stability of the node overall. Keep up the good work Dan, it is appreciated.

• dynwebdynweb Member
    edited May 2014

We do not care if a few containers still run ssh on port 22, so feel free to change it back (I made sure it will not be changed again).

That's fine with me, thank you !

edited May 2014

@trexos said:
    dcc
    So you wont create a button to disable this?

This is a one-time change. We never did this before to existing VPS and will hopefully never have to do anything like this in the future.

The only permanent change is: KiwiVM will now set up a random SSH port whenever you reload your VPS (at the time of reload). Or when you buy a new VPS. But you can change the port back to 22 if you need to, no problem at all.

If you insist on having an option to disable the change on OS reload, we can definitely look into that :)

Thanked by 1tarasis
  • So will disk upgrades be implemented later on?

@duckeeyuck said:
    So will disk upgrades be implemented later on?

I am unable to give any promises on upgrades/different plans/etc at the time... sorry. We are still not completely sure where we want to go with this. Check back in approx. 2 months - I should have more info about the future of XVM Labs :)

• tomletomle Member, LIR

This seems to be a good approach, thanks. I think that it's not worth the time to fix that in KiwiVM CP, it's easy enough to change the port, just make sure that the port is clearly visible when reloading the VPS.

@dcc said:
    This is a one-time change. We never did this before to existing VPS and will hopefully never have to do anything like this in the future.

>

The only permanent change is: KiwiVM will now set up a random SSH port whenever you reload your VPS (at the time of reload). Or when you buy a new VPS. But you can change the port back to 22 if you need to, no problem at all.

>

If you insist on having an option to disable the change on OS reload, we can definitely look into that :)

• FalzoFalzo Member

+1, pls leave my config alone, my ssh runs already on another port, automatic changes esp. to random ports are annoying and time consuming.
    probably fraught with danger of making a mess out of other things someone changed there...

• daviddavid Member

For what it's worth, I had already changed my ssh port to an alternate port right away after I got the vps and reloaded the OS. Mine was never changed automatically and it's still set to the same alternate port I set it to.

@Falzo
    SSH port was only modified for those who had it set to default (22). Also, please see above - it was a one-time change.

• aaaw out of stock

• FalzoFalzo Member

@dcc said: for those who had it set to default ... it was a one-time change.

this was understood ;-)

... but you mentioned that it will be changed to random port on reload - so maybe my poor english makes the difference here - probably you don't mean reload same as restart the container, rather then reinstalling the whole thing ...

I have to agree that doing this on reinstall doesn't matter, because it will be changed afterwards anyway.

Yes, I mean reinstall. No port changes on reboot (that would be nuts!)

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • FalzoFalzo Member

ok, thats fine, sorry for causing confusion on that point ;-)

• itgodsitgods Member
    edited May 2014

@dcc - one more for me please. :P

XVM Labs VPS (-8536 Available)

• sonicsonic Veteran

Please add more stock please :)

@sonic said:
    Please add more stock please :)

Don't worry, we will :)

• sonicsonic Veteran

@dcc said:
    Don't worry, we will :)

Could you please go ahead and add 3 orders for me :D

• sandrosandro Member

when can we expect more stock? Is it still 4 IPS?

Sorry, I do not want to give promises at this point, but I will update the topic once we add more stock.

• BluBoyBluBoy Member

Down?