Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5G SSD, 512MB RAM @ QuadraNet LA $4.87 yearly - XVM Labs - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

5G SSD, 512MB RAM @ QuadraNet LA $4.87 yearly - XVM Labs

Comments

• earlearl Member

Offer looks to be a success.. so will you be expanding this to the GoRack location anytime soon?

• lelewkulelewku Member

bandwagon is crazy i hope they do $3/yearly for 10TB bandwidth.

• edufeduf Member

out of stock :(

• @dcc said:
    Yes, this pretty much sums it up. We do not want to raise unrealistic expectations. Consider this as buying a lottery ticket :)

I hope you know what you're doing. If this goes south, it could damage your reputation.

• dccdcc Member, Host Rep

@als said:
    Got one yesterday, very good so far. Still want to be clear about BitTorrent sync for (light) personal use. Is it allowed?

I think it should be fine, but we haven't dealt with btsync yet so I cannot say for sure.

@mpkossen said:
    I hope you know what you're doing. If this goes south, it could damage your reputation.

We thought of starting this as a "new brand" and never mention we're the same company, but we're better than that :D

I don't expect this to go bust, but then again, no guarantees... A few adjustments will definitely be made as we go.

@earl said:
    Offer looks to be a success.. so will you be expanding this to the GoRack location anytime soon?

It is unlikely to happen soon - we have got a lot of work to do with the current setup @ Quadranet. Last few days gave us a lot of interesting insights as you might imagine :)

Thanked by 1earl
  • unwiredunwired Member

dcc said: we have got a lot of work to do with the current setup @ Quadranet

Please add IPv6 somewhere near the top of your todo list ;-)

• SreeSree Member

I got one ;)

[root /]# wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X5650  @ 2.67GHz
    Number of cores : 1
    CPU frequency :  2666.558 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 512 MB
    Total amount of swap : 64 MB
    System uptime :   8 min,       
    Download speed from CacheFly: 81.4MB/s 
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 25.6MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 57.6MB/s 
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 18.8MB/s 
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 6.92MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 33.9MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 10.2MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 74.5MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 101MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 31.7MB/s 
    I/O speed :  551 MB/s
    Exit code: 0

• cassacassa Member

Mountains :D

• earlearl Member
    edited May 2014

VPS seems to be down!!

NVM- it's back up now.

@tarasis

Yup! seems to be down again.. Maybe they are doing maintenance since the panel is down as well.

• tarasistarasis Member

@earl said:
    VPS seems to be down!!

NVM- it's back up now.

Down for me now.

• AThomasHoweAThomasHowe Member
    edited May 2014

Mine is fine, just logged in.

We are working on a few things on the node, I expect a few more reboots this week.

Alright, we have added a few more slots!

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member
    edited May 2014

@dcc said:
    Alright, we have added a few more slots!

Thanks! just got one

• nstormnstorm Member

Got one for unknown purposes, couldn't resist that.

If it wasn't all these reviews here telling persons behind this are reputable enough I'd said this is a scam and passed by. :P

KiwiVM got some nice extras. Especially the snapshot thing is great for OpenVZ.

Thanked by 1earl
  • earlearl Member

@nstorm said:
    KiwiVM got some nice extras. Especially the snapshot thing is great for OpenVZ.

The snapshot in kiwiVM is really nice. similar to the central backup feature in solusvm that use to be enabled on all hosts.. But I guess it really killed the node when too many people were using it..

On another note not sure why I keep coming back to this offer, lol.. I really don't need another one!

Thanked by 1mtsandeep
  • FritzFritz Veteran

Wow, missed again.
    Please reserve 1 for me.

• @earl said:
    On another note not sure why I keep coming back to this offer, lol.. I really don't need another one!

+1 :)

Thanked by 1earl
  • dcc said: I think it should be fine, but we haven't dealt with btsync yet so I cannot say for sure.

I hope it's okay, should be anyway as long as you're using it properly (like dropbox or whatever for long term storage of files) on a 5GB disk. I've been using btsync pretty happily on it anyway, think I might move my dev box over to this.

• Can you order extra disk space?

• trexostrexos Member

@linuxthefish said:
    Can you order extra disk space?

^this :)

Sorry, right now alterations are not possible

Thanked by 2linuxthefish tarasis
  • nstormnstorm Member

In order to prevent automated brute-force attacks the SSH port on your VPS was automatically changed.
    New SSH port: 26411.

Well that is a bit weird. Because it took place after a few days of running VM and I've already firewalled everything, including ssh. ;P

• @nstorm said:
    Well that is a bit weird. Because it took place after a few days of running VM and I've already firewalled everything, including ssh. ;P

Yeah, I'm definitely annoyed by this. I do not want my SSH port to be anything else than 22. Changing the SSH port to something else is a bad idea!

Anybody tested if you can safely change it back without it being changed again?

edited May 2014

It is a one-time thing (also, a random port is now set upon VPS creation or reload). The node was being hammered by ssh brute force bots, so we had no choice.

It is safe to change it back to 22.

• unwiredunwired Member

mpkossen said: Yeah, I'm definitely annoyed by this. I do not want my SSH port to be anything else than 22.

+1

It would be better to setup some iptables rules on the hardware node to rate limit all connections to port 22, e.g. drop all packets if more then 5 connections per 30 seconds are comming in per source address

• dynwebdynweb Member

@dcc said:
    It is a one-time thing (also, a random port is now set upon VPS creation or reload). The node was being hammered by ssh brute force bots, so we had no choice.

Seems not to be the case. I changed it back and it was re-changed randomly a few minutes later :(

• trexostrexos Member

@dcc said:

It would be nice to have the possibility to disable this.