Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your OS of choice? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is your OS of choice?

Comments

• Daniel said: ...and Windows to test IE!

hahaha! That is so true!

• Goddamnit...

Windows - Development Machine

Windows - Netbook

Linux (Ubuntu) - Netbook

OSx86 - Netbook

• Debian forever!

• Boltersdriveer said: Windows - Netbook

Linux is known to be more suited then Windows on a netbook, for example memory, CPU and HD usage is much lower, and boot time is lower too.

I have a netbook, has Crunchbang on it, it boots in around 10 seconds, it came with Windows on there before, that took about 1 minute .

• Funny, I want linux off of my netbook and Windows on it.

• XeoncrossXeoncross Member
    edited September 2011

Windows XP is the only way to get everything to work right on my netbook. Windows 7 is too much, and the drivers for somethings don't work in OS X and Ubuntu.

If it weren't for the stackextange network - I wouldn't have any faith in windows-based servers. There will NEVER be a "lowendbox" site for windows based servers. They are such a waste of resources.

Even though a court ruled that you can benchmark SQL server - the terms & conditions in installation of the database state you may not benchmark it. I think they are too embarrassed by how slow it is.

• @Xeoncross: You may like to try out the Windows 8 beta :p

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Boltersdriveer said: @Xeoncross: You may like to try out the Windows 8 beta :p

The Windows 8 development preview is really nice, except for a few bugs. If anyone needs a UK mirror of the ISO, I can give you one.

• If anyone needs a UK mirror of the ISO, I can give you one.

cough cough I hope you're not suggesting what I think you're suggesting....

• Why would someone want a tablet with a fan?

Even worse, why would someone want to pay $200 upgrade just to get a different interface, thats made for tablets but uses a keyboard and mouse.

• drmike said: cough cough I hope you're not suggesting what I think you're suggesting....

It's a developer preview, the ISO is freely available off of microsoft.com servers, linked at http://dev.windows.com . I'm sure they don't technically allow unofficial mirrors, but I doubt they mind.

This is just a preview build, so it doesn't apply here, but Microsoft seems to have become much more confident of their activation system. Everything is available as an ISO off their HTTP servers these days, it's the key that (is supposed to) stop you from pirating it.

• Actually I was thinking it was still under whatever they cal their inhouse testing. Not a biggie. :)

• Debian or Ubuntu for servers, Mac OS X for everything else.

• fanovpn said: This is just a preview build, so it doesn't apply here, but Microsoft seems to have become much more confident of their activation system. Everything is available as an ISO off their HTTP servers these days, it's the key that (is supposed to) stop you from pirating it.

Weren't Windows 7 nulled even before it came out?

• Heck with the nulling. All you need to do is pick up an OEM copy and only upgrade during SP upgrades.

Not that I know of such a thing of course. :whistle:

• I use Windows on my home machine, as do rest of the family.

• In Windows 7, you simply had to add an SLIC 2.1 to your BIOS and activate with any OEM key and bam, Windows is activated. They probably changed this in Windows 8 though.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

fanovpn said: It's a developer preview, the ISO is freely available off of microsoft.com servers, linked at http://dev.windows.com . I'm sure they don't technically allow unofficial mirrors, but I doubt they mind.

It's kinda a private mirror, all I did was download the ISO on my VPS and download it from my VPS ;)

• Boltersdriveer said: In Windows 7, you simply had to add an SLIC 2.1 to your BIOS and activate with any OEM key and bam, Windows is activated. They probably changed this in Windows 8 though.

in Windows 8, you have to have a EFI Signed Boot, essentially making it so you can't dual boot with Linux, or replace it with Linux altogether.

• I think you must inform before saying (flaming) that

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/22/protecting-the-pre-os-environment-with-uefi.aspx

In other words, will be optional, and only for OEM.

• Good for locking down company laptops, but could be seen as anti-competitive. It'll also give motherboard manufacturers yet another iteration with slightly different specs to make money on, and let them fleece people who want to use linux by having a more expensive non-EFI board...

• Gary said: Good for locking down company laptops, but could be seen as anti-competitive. It'll also give motherboard manufacturers yet another iteration with slightly different specs to make money on, and let them fleece people who want to use linux by having a more expensive non-EFI board...

Microsoft will most likely offer cheaper licenses if they do it, they already do it so manufacturers don't make No-OS or Linux preinstalled computers for the personal computer market.

• If they do that, all companies involved deserve a nice anti-competitive lawsuit.

• Ubuntu everywhere.

• Mint for desktops, Arch on my laptop, Debian for servers.

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited September 2011

Debian everywhere.

lol

• Bitcable said: Ubuntu everywhere.

Including the vps node?

• DimeCadmiumDimeCadmium Member
    edited September 2011

Damn Small Linux.

No, Gentoo and Debian on servers; Ubuntu on my netbook and Windows on my desktop for some reason.

(Is DSL even still around?)

• Well, nobody support DSL anymore AFAIK u_u Maybe somebody wil retake the project just to update some software

• I ran DSL a few minutes ago... ~55MB used at idle. Then again, thats with X and all so not too bad.