Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your OS of choice?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is your OS of choice?

vmstormvpsvmstormvps Member
edited September 2011 in General

I'm interested to know what OS folks here prefer on their LEB plans. Are you using the typical OS choices? Centos, Debian, Ubuntu, etc? Some special ultra-small distro for a small RAM deployment? Do tell!

Comments

• Debian.

• Debian or Ubuntu

• Arch Linux for desktops, minimal Debian for servers.

• Minimal Debian 6 32 bit =)

• Debian 6 32 bit because after runing the LowEndScript you generally only use about 7-11MB which is perfect. Add the support of dotdeb and you have everything you need for PHP projects.

• ReactOS

• debian 5 - coz its the lightest takes only 3,5mb

• Debian, Lenny prefered.

• CentOS 6 for new setups. (preferably a minimal template if not a ISO install) I have used it more so I know it better. I have CentOS 5 on my main VPS because I set it up before CentOS 6 was released.

• Debian 6 32, for the reasons xeoncross states. Even run Debian on my 3 Dockstars at home, although the other home network machines are Ubuntu.

If I can get my hands on a 128KVM, I'd run ArchLinux on it. The OpenVZ Arch template I tried once left much to be desired.

• Debian all the way for every server: lenny and mostly squeeze now. But all desktops are windows ;-)

• TigersWay said: But all desktops are windows ;-)

Exaaactly, we need to play games :P

• Ubuntu, just because I use it everywhere and am familiar with it.

• Ubuntu if I need 'bleeding edge' updates to packages (PHP/etc) otherwise Debian (which pushes updates less often, thus more stable but may be behind latest features).

Futzd with Arch but found the package management syntax all-new and don't want to learn a 3rd (already across apt and yum)

• CentOS 5.x/6.0 as i use it more and alot of clients i work with also use WHM/Cpanel which usually is with CentOS. But i've been playing with Debian lately as some clients use it and needed to understand Debian's differences in order to make my shell scripts and migration from MySQL community server to MariaDB 5.2 MySQL performance forks work on Debian as well.

Debian has grown on me and definitely out of the box i like it's lower memory footprint and especially like how the Debian installer setup makes it easy to configure disks with EXT4 instead of EXT3. Much easier than CentOS EXT4.

• So tempted to create a linux rep called YourMom.

"hey what are you running for a OS?"

"Your mom!"

:O

Debian 6 32bit.

• Pretty much always Debian, 5 or 6 now it's available. Debian was pretty much the first distro I had a good play with, so I've stuck with it. I've worked with Centos and Red Hat for clients on occasion, but I just prefer Debian.

• @drmike I'd like to grep the bogomips out of your mom's /proc/cpuinfo :D I like the name of this distro already...

In all seriousness it looks like the distro of choice is Debian so far -- thanks for the input all!

• I'm surprised nobody has mentioned SL yet. Stable and secure with quick updates.

Moving forward, I believe SL will overtake CentOS

• CentOS 5.6!

• Would anyone here be interested in a Low End Linux distribution, specifically geared towards running on Low End Boxes? It would probably include up-to-date versions of the most commonly installed packages (nginx, mysql, maybe even package Wordpress if it's licensing allows it, etc) with configurations that are more suitable for LEBs (such as using the my-small.cnf mysql config file instead of the default). A few turnkey OpenVZ templates could be made for a couple of common use cases, as well as install media for Xen and KVM.

• yomero said: Exaaactly, we need to play games :P

In fact, after all these years I still find linux support, community, information in general, a mess! But you are welcome to tease :-)

NickM said: It would probably include up-to-date versions of the most commonly installed packages (nginx, mysql, maybe even package Wordpress if it's licensing allows it, etc)

Maybe would it be time to promote better products than wordpress :-(

• kiloserve said: I'm surprised nobody has mentioned SL yet. Stable and secure with quick updates.

Moving forward, I believe SL will overtake CentOS

Snow Leopard? :D

• Scientific Linux

• openbsd/freebsd.
    if i am forced to use something in the rhel family, it's going to be scientific linux, but i hate yum and everything about centos/rhel.

• Mine is Ubuntu ;)

• Gentoo Linux on my dev boxes and Debian stable on production.

• I think we've had such topic on v2 already. If memory is not an issue debian 64bit, otherwise debian 32bit

• But Debian 6 was only supposed to be 64bit....

snort