Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your OS of choice? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is your OS of choice?

Comments

• I know. I was told by someone previously that when 6.0 first came out, it would be 64 bit only.

• drmike said: I know. I was told by someone previously that when 6.0 first came out, it would be 64 bit only.

64 bits has been a marketing issue (independently of the >4GB bla bla)

• CentOS 5.X on cPanel production servers, though i've just deployed a Debian 6.0 VPS to become more familiar with that.

• Archlinux for desktop and Ubuntu for server

• I've used CentOs the most for no particular reason, whatever happened to Suse btw?

• I am using Debian 6 on my LEB.

• dotben said: Futzd with Arch but found the package management syntax all-new and don't want to learn a 3rd (already across apt and yum)

pacman is very easy, here is a rosetta for you :)

• I like Debian the most

• Darwin FTW.

• @ztec Suse its still alive although its kinda like RedHat-CentOS, the community version depends on the releases of the corporate version.

As for my OS, Debian on servers, SimpleMepis and Arch on the Desktop.

• You guys and well guys must be confused. We all know FreeBSD is the pinnacle of server OSes.

:whistle:

• circus said: pacman is very easy, here is a rosetta for you :)

To the bookmarks! :D

• Debian GNU/Linux 6.0 (squeeze) on servers, various OSes on desktops (Ubuntu 11.04 on main PC, Debian squeeze on my netbook).

• Darwin is a sad excuse for a POSIX-compliant operating system when faced with the Linux family.

But it's still light-years ahead of w..... eh, not even worth mentioning.

Thanked by 1LowEndAdmin
  • Xeoncross said: Darwin is a sad excuse for a POSIX-compliant operating system when faced with the Linux family.

Darwin (OS X) has managed to get into quite a large chunk of the home computer market, when the industry is monopolised by Microsoft forcing manufacturers to use Windows, or charge them more for it. Darwin is at least an achievement for the UNIX-like family, not to mention that although upgrades are not /free/, $29 for 5 computers, and not having to buy an Anti-Virus.

• Latest Centos with Kloxo or cPAnel.

• @ Daniel - Windows users don't NEED to buy AV either. There are free options that perform as well or better than the brand names.

• Avira for the win! Forever and ever

• Gary said: @ Daniel - Windows users don't NEED to buy AV either. There are free options that perform as well or better than the brand names.

Still have to install one, which still slows your computer and gives you annoying message

• And here we go again with the windows flaming...

• Behind the times Dan, AV has nothing like the impact on performance that it used to, even Norton isnt as bad as it was.

Win 7 is my desktop of chose, Ubuntu and Debian for LEB's

1. Slackware
    2. Leopard
    3. OpenBSD
    4. Debian
    5. Centos (only in my server)
  • as always Debian.

• You don't have to install one at all, i've got several machines that don't need AV and have never had any problems whatsoever. Gotta love the FUD people spew out when talking about windows. Keep it updated, and don't be stupid. It's not too hard, really.

• Gary said: You don't have to install one at all, i've got several machines that don't need AV and have never had any problems whatsoever. Gotta love the FUD people spew out when talking about windows. Keep it updated, and don't be stupid. It's not too hard, really.

Although UNIX Permissions outsmash Windows Permissions, I remember in Windows XP a limited account could delete whatever they wanted to on the harddrive, and a Administrator in Windows is that, a Administrator, UNIX/Linux not really, the only true Administrator is root. or toor, and user with a Administrator flag can just do a few adminstration task, and anything else they have to get elevated root permissions with Sudo temporarily.

• kylixkylix Member
    edited September 2011

You just install SuRun on Windows and you have a perfekt rights management like sudo. If you don't, you have the windows rights management that is based on inheritance.

• http://elementaryos.org/discover has one of the sexiest UIs of any OS.

• Linux is hands-down the best for developing (unless your developing iOS apps). Windows has the fastest Adobe applications for media editing. Mac does both - video and development - but its also slower since it doesn't specialize.

At least, I've run all three and those were my results. Sure, you could say that you like FCP better than Adobe Premiere - but the new version of FCP is terrible which is why so many people are dropping it.

• You just install SuRun on Windows and you have a perfekt rights management like sudo. If you don't, you have the windows rights management that is based on inheritance.

Wow, nice piece of software!

• Xeoncross said: Linux is hands-down the best for developing (unless your developing iOS apps). Windows has the fastest Adobe applications for media editing. Mac does both - video and development - but its also slower since it doesn't specialize.

OS X for making web apps, Linux for running web apps, and Windows to test IE!