Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which web browser do you use? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which web browser do you use?

Comments

• @Silvenga said:
    Opera uses most of the code of Chrome now. Chrome extensions are fully compatible with Opera.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blink_(layout_engine)

It looks like the Blink engine that opera uses is a improved version of chromium.

• Love chrome (feels snappier to me). But I'm a tab whore.

And I've found that with recent versions of both Chrome and Firefox, it seems Firefox is the less likely to crash with the billion tabs that I always end up having open.

• Mark_R said: It looks like the Blink engine that opera uses is a improved version of chromium.

It lags slightly behind Blink upstream so I wouldn't call it an improved version of Chrome. So changes are seen in Chrome then in Opera.

• @Silvenga said:
    It lags slightly behind Blink upstream so I wouldn't call it an improved version of Chrome. So changes are seen in Chrome then in Opera.

What?

If Opera is using most of the engine code that Chrome uses then it wouldn't exist anymore by now. Opera created its own Presto engine + maintained it for a long time, now they use Blink, I'm pretty sure that they integrated alot of improvements and new functions that Chrome does not include unless they shared it.

They are 2 different browsers with a similair engine at the moment but they both handle things differently and make their own improvements.

I prefer Opera over Chrome anytime, for you it is the opposite of that apparently.

• @Nekki said:
    I use multiple browsers regularly, so I can't complete your survey.

I too use FF, Chromium Based Browser, and sometimes IE (Very Rare).

And on a Priority Opera Variance in Mobile...

• Seamonkey on Linux / Win most of the time.

But sometimes forced to use Iceweasel / Firefox, because some addons don't work with Seamonkey.

Even can't explain why I like Seamonkey so much, it's probably something on a subconscious level :)

• @Silvenga said:
    Firefox does the same thing from their search box (even just typing in a partial URL) because Firefox still makes requests for optimisations.

A source for this please.

• neroux said: A source for this please.

Just logic, my own experience with designing websites, and knowledge of the browser. All modern browsers do it (and not to get personal data), but to speed up the Internet. Firefox sends requests to prefetch web pages before you view them. Firefox will prefetch web pages milliseconds before you choose a link to make the browsing appear faster. The search box gives you suggestions as you type (requests to Google). Not to mention the scores of DNS prefetch requests to statistically Google's DNS servers.

To note - Mozilla made a deal with Google some time ago. Google donates small fortunes and Firefox has Google as its default search provider.

• nerouxneroux Member
    edited April 2014

Silvenga said: Just logic

Not "logic" please, if you say they log all user data on their servers please back these statements up with proper proof.

Silvenga said: Firefox sends requests to prefetch web pages before you view them.

We are talking about logging requests, not prefetching.

• neroux said: We are talking about logging requests, not prefetching.

requests == prefetching.

Servers get this during requests :
    HTTP/1.1 google.com GET
    Servers get this during prefetching:
    HTTP/1.1 google.com GET

They are the same thing. Servers are logging the prefecting.

Google is logging the requests from the omnibox because you're searching Google. If you set the omnibox to search big then Microsoft will log your searches. Set it to DuckDuckGo then Bing, Google, and Yahoo will log your searches.

Same thing with the Firefox search box. Set the provider to Amazon and Amazon will log your searches.

Deductive reasoning.

• sleddog said: Nothing hosted on the LAN would load in Chromium with the Internet down

Chromium can't open file:// files by default, not sure if this was the case? If so, you can fix it: 'chromium-browser --allow-file-access-from-files'

• nerouxneroux Member
    edited April 2014

Silvenga said: requests == prefetching.

Yes, if you configure both browsers for the same search engine and with "search suggestions", both will (naturally) send a request to the respective search engine.

The fundamental difference though is, Firefox will send a "plain" request, while Chrome includes all sorts of unique identifiers. Bottom line, Chrome is in its default configuration simply more invasive to privacy than Firefox.

• About Opera and its relation to Chrome.

Last year they switched away from their own rendering engine to Webkit. So even though it is neither a plain copy of Chrome nor an improved version of Chromium, it definitely is not as much of a custom work anymore as it used to be but rather yet-another-webkit browser.

http://www.binarypassion.net/2013/05/a-farewell-to-opera.html basically summarises it.

• Firefox 4 life!

• awsonawson Member

Chromium on Windows, Chrome on Android. I'd use Chromium on Android if it were available as a full application, but it's not :(

• Chrome .. Love you .. <3 :P

• n0myn0my Member

Any ff users tried cyberfox?

• @n0my said:
    Any ff users tried cyberfox?

I wonder what the advantage is supposed to be.

• souensouen Member

@neroux said:
    About Opera and its relation to Chrome.

Last year they switched away from their own rendering engine to Webkit. So even though it is neither a plain copy of Chrome nor an improved version of Chromium, it definitely is not as much of a custom work anymore as it used to be but rather yet-another-webkit browser.

http://www.binarypassion.net/2013/05/a-farewell-to-opera.html basically summarises it.

This. Opera used to be very customisable out of the box, e.g. per-site settings, edit all the toolbars in the UI, plus features like IRC client. Maybe they want to appeal to the so-called regular users now who apparently don't use any of those features. Probably drop most of the features in the switch and let the community fill in the missing pieces with extensions. For me the features were part of what made Opera different and I hope they eventually re-add the most important ones, currently it's like a plain, rebranded Chrome browser.

• Maybe we can ban the IE users from this forum some how....
    :P

• @eric1212 said:
    Maybe we can ban the IE users from this forum some how....
    :P

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/508773/#Comment_508773

• Always chrome because whenever i use firefox my pc got hang.

Thanked by 1sandro
  • I use Firefox+SeaMonkey+Maxthon

• chrome in desktop mode on win 8...

• Icedragon and Firefox

• My first web browser was Opera :p
    Now I'm in love with Chrome but Chrome is a bit breaking up ... it's getting slower and slower...

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited October 2014

Firefox was awesome pre version 3.0

I use Chrome now.

• I'm a Safari person, largely because that's whats fastest on my iPad/iPhone and syncs to the Mac version. I do use Chrome from time to time, esp when I use Bootcamp

• GreenHostBoxGreenHostBox Member
    edited October 2014

Mosaic browser

<jk. Google Chrome>

• @GreenHostBox said:
    Mosaic browser

Gee that takes me back to Uni back in 94