Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Classic VPS bad disk I/O? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Classic VPS bad disk I/O?

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

tchen said: yet that very limit is causing people to be abusive running dd's all day

1. Most people dont care;
    2. The very limiting makes the abuse irrelevant, even if it was big enough to count.
  • Imagine if 100 people started doing these tests every hour from cron on a big node. First they would overlap in time and ruin the experience for everyine. And then this would be 2.4 TB written per day just from pointless DD tests, which is killer for SSDs.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • seems quick enough for me

/dev/shm# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync 16384+0 records in 16384+0 records out 1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 0.353579 s, 3.0 GB/s

;o)

• sc754sc754 Member

My OVH classic was showing disk I/O of 150-200mb/s when I bought it, now 5 days later it's 10mb/s....

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

iceTwy said: I can't really complain for what it's worth though; 2.4€/mo with VAT.

Are you kidding, of course you can. I guess you're new to LEB/LET, but newsflash, around here you can buy VPSes for that price, or heck even for twice less, which will provide you with a 10-20x better performance (literally). Buying a shoddy product just because is cheap can be excusable when all better alternatives are much more expensive, but in this case that's absolutely not so.

• Well, I have the same result. Just a week ago it was great and now it's slow.

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 100.616 s, 10.7 MB/s

I have asked support to enable iptables mark module, here is the response:

Dear customer,

We are not currently allowed to install custom kernel modules to VPS Classic model. If you need to install custom kernel modules, you'll have to rent a VPS Cloud or a dedicated server.

Best regards,

I understand that this is an OpenVZ but almost all providers have iptables mark module enabled. So sad.

• sc754sc754 Member

@alexvolk said:
    Well, I have the same result. Just a week ago it was great and now it's slow.

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    > 16384+0 records in
    > 16384+0 records out
    > 1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 100.616 s, 10.7 MB/s

I have asked support to enable iptables mark module, here is the response:
    I understand that this is an OpenVZ but almost all providers have iptables mark module enabled. So sad.

What's the mark module do?

• @sc754 said:
    What's the mark module do?

Mark a packet with a number. Used for advanced routing and to make a life easier :)

• Has anyone successfully requested FUSE to be enabled on an OVH Classic VPS?

• OVH oversell their VPS a lot. You're better off finding a hosting company that uses OVH and getting your VPS from there, probably as cheap, but not oversold.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@DDoSHost said:
    OVH oversell their VPS a lot. You're better off finding a hosting company that uses OVH and getting your VPS from there, probably as cheap, but not oversold.

Yeah, a company like yours, yeah? ;)

Also, you have ZERO proof of your claims about overselling. Performance on my OVH VPS has been very nice and don't know about you, but I don't use more than 10 MB/s constantly on a shared environment (and I bet you don't let your customers to do so either).

Thanked by 1GIANT_CRAB
  • It would be nice if they enable gre_tunnel so you can use it as cheap DDoS protection. 10TB traffic for 2,40€ is good as well.

Thanked by 1Gunter
  • W3HostW3Host Member
    edited March 2014

@Nyr said:
    Also, you have ZERO proof of your claims about overselling. Performance on my OVH VPS has been very nice and don't know about you, but I don't use more than 10 MB/s constantly on a shared environment (and I bet you don't let your customers to do so either).

I didn't mention proof... I do not limit my customers I/O speed unless they are abusing it. Anyone can DD and get 126-150 MB/s.

Personally, I don't use more than 10 MB/s but some of my clients need a little more, which is perfectly understandable.

My comment was in no reference to my company. I was offering advice of what I would do.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

DDoSHost said: Anyone can DD and get 126-150 MB/s.

That sums up the problem pretty well. With the industry in general, not you particularly.

• W3HostW3Host Member
    edited March 2014

@Nyr said:
    That sums up the problem pretty well. With the industry in general, not you particularly.

Yes, I agree. But from my point, if I'm offering 10 MB/s limit to clients and a competitor is offering 126 MB/s, why would they choose me? Anyone abusing I/O is generally limited to around 15 MB/s by my staff or I.

I make sure that I run profit on each of my dedicated servers I cannot stand overselling. Thanks for the information though.

• That's OVH, what do you expect?

• tchentchen Member

DDoSHost said: Yes, I agree. But from my point, if I'm offering 10 MB/s limit to clients and a competitor is offering 126 MB/s, why would they choose me? Anyone abusing I/O is generally limited to around 15 MB/s by my staff or I.

Because the OVH vmware throttles are average based, hence the 10MB/s limit some people are seeing is due to them (or some other yahoo next to them) running dd til the limit kicks in and brings it down automatically. The same end-effect as you or your staff doing it manually, except much faster, automated, and controlled than relying on submitted tickets saying the node is busted.

I dunno... as a customer who isn't interested in posting dd' benchmarks online - I would choose the one that maintains their nodes better on an aggregate average basis. But I'm just weird.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited March 2014

Short ram test, the vps at OVH:

My Kimsufi at OVH:

• Agree ^. Not sure why there has to be dozens of dd posts on here, it's abusive if the thread is busy enough. Having it run every 30-45 minutes for a week or two and then posting the results makes sense to me. I'm not sure what people are expecting as an average throughput for a budget VPS, but if you need more there are dedicated servers for 8 euros a month with ovh.

• @tchen said:
    I dunno... as a customer who isn't interested in posting dd' benchmarks online - I would choose the one that maintains their nodes better on an aggregate average basis. But I'm just weird.

My nodes remain fine while allowing my non-abusing clients to use the I/O they require. I have staff monitoring our servers/services 24/7 so so far there is no issue. If issues start to arise in the future then we would make an initial limitation but it would not be 10 MB/s.

While saying this, I would not base purchasing a service entirely off of dd result.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

DDoSHost said: I would not base purchasing a service entirely off of dd result.

Yes, but most people reading here do :) At least judging from comments and the prevalence of the "test". At times I feel like you need to have lower results to keep the wrong crowd out :)

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited March 2014

Using this exact same test I get 40MB/s and 500MB/s at other providers, although the 50MB/s one is much faster! It's things like file copying, launching programs, MySQL querys and logging into SSH that are horridly slow on OVH, and make the VPS almost unusable...

I would never judge a provider on their dd results, and in the case of OVH I only tested to give support a log of the slow disk. That said, I would not be too happy if a load of people started running the same test on my local RAID1 fileserver!

• @Maounique said:
    Yes, but most people reading here do :) At least judging from comments and the prevalence of the "test". At times I feel like you need to have lower results to keep the wrong crowd out :)

I see what you mean, haha. Very true. I have had those that on their first test they get 250+ MB/s then 200 MB/s on their next test in a few days and complain. Still very fast but they have to moan about it in support, haha.

• @trexos said:
    It would be nice if they enable gre_tunnel so you can use it as cheap DDoS protection. 10TB traffic for 2,40€ is good as well.

Is there any chance of this being possible?

• trexostrexos Member
    edited March 2014

@darknyan said:
    Is there any chance of this being possible?

They have to enable a module for that. I don't think that they will do that, but I will test it with mine @BHX

• tchentchen Member

Unless you need something very specific, haproxy would probably suffice for most applications.

• @tchen said:
    Unless you need something very specific, haproxy would probably suffice for most applications.

Game Server protection is a pretty popular reason for a GRE tunnel.

• tchentchen Member

@darknyan said:
    Game Server protection is a pretty popular reason for a GRE tunnel.

Except no one bothers to check if they need UDP :P

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

It seems to be an excellent suggestion: make a node, oversold it a lot, and limit customers to 50MB/s (include this on your offers/ToS). Bam! pure Profit

• Just ordered a VPS @ OVH, also getting 10 mb/s I/O

I also ordered a VPS at their Canada location, but they need to check the payment manually for some reason

This discussion has been closed.