Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Classic VPS bad disk I/O?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Classic VPS bad disk I/O?

linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
edited March 2014 in Providers

I'm getting bad disk I/O with my classic OVH VPS (the new £2.53 a month), consisting of very slow SSH login times and taking ages to execute basic commands. I raised a support ticket with them and they told me to provide logs of slow performance. I've pasted the results of a few DD tests to them and they still want more logs!

What logs or tests can I show them? I realize this is the budget range, but I get better performance from my Raspberry Pi!

http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2014/03/29/cVDzQ7dbE26I1ptl

Hello

Please can you provide logs showing the poor performance and I can then open a ticket.

Kind Regards,
Neil

[root@vps52616 ~]# dd bs=1M count=1024 if=/dev/zero of=test conv=fdatasync 1024+0 records in 1024+0 records out 1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 100.225 s, 10.7 MB/s

[root@vps52616 ~]# wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash CPU model : AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 4386 Number of cores : 1 CPU frequency : 3100.000 MHz Total amount of ram : 1024 MB Total amount of swap : 128 MB System uptime : 2 days, 18:20, Download speed from CacheFly: 14.8MB/s Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 7.38MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 5.54MB/s Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 3.07MB/s Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 14.4MB/s Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 14.4MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 2.47MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 4.64MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 4.90MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 6.67MB/s I/O speed : 10.7 MB/s

Thanked by 1sz1hosting

Comments

• FlorisFloris Member
    edited March 2014

You get what you pay for, I guess. This is what you get when you heavily oversell, slab and do other funny tricks to your nodes. For these prices, abusers simply don't care wether or not they'll get suspended.

Thanked by 1Sander
  • I always had such io when I had ovh vps, it's normal, support even told me so.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

said: I/O speed : 10.7 MB/s

Haha, yeah, my CF is doing about the same :P

• tr1ckytr1cky Member
    edited March 2014

Here's some ticket ticket converstion I had back then (in German, dirty translation included):

translation:
    Dear Sir or Madam,
    I just made some benchmarks to check the performance of the cloud servers, then I saw I/O speeds of 15M/s, I had expected to see 70M/s atleast. Are those values normal for your service?

Their answer:

Translation:

Thanks for the details. I have to affirm your question, if these values are normal for our service. It's not an error we could solve but a technical reality.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited March 2014

I'm getting exactly the same values on my RBX container with them.

Looks like it's either an artificial limit to prevent abuse or they are using network-based storage at 100 mbps (didn't check ioping).

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2014

I think is normal, because on the Cloud package there is what I got :

dd bs=1M count=1024 if=/dev/zero of=test conv=fdatasync
    1024+0 records in
    1024+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 10.2842 s, 104 MB/s

wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    CPU model :  AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 4284                 
    Number of cores : 2
    CPU frequency :  3000.000 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 1877 MB
    Total amount of swap : 2049 MB
    System uptime :   1 min,       
    Download speed from CacheFly: 22.9MB/s 
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 56.4MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 51.6MB/s 
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 11.2MB/s 
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 10.6MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 22.5MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 8.75MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 24.1MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 22.1MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 2.70MB/s 
    I/O speed :  104 MB/s

HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 1000000000 (954M)
    Saving to: “1GB.test”

100%[====================================>] 1,000,000,000 15.3M/s   in 62s     

2014-03-29 17:51:22 (15.4 MB/s) - “1GB.test” saved [1000000000/1000000000]

I got more I/O on my own dedicated server with OpenVZ...

The dedicated server seem to be the same or approximately the same between Classic and Cloud. Wierd...

• howardsl2howardsl2 Member
    edited March 2014

I am on their BHS VPS Classic Private Beta, $2.99 plan. Here's the benchmark:

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 10.3544 s, 104 MB/s

Exactly the same as the result from @davidgestiondbi

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

hwdsl2 said: hwdsl2

And I'm on the VPS Cloud 1 @ 14.99$/month

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited March 2014

@Nyr said:
    Looks like it's either an artificial limit to prevent abuse or they are using network-based storage at 100 mbps (didn't check ioping).

(how the hell do you use code markup in the comments!?)

[root@vps52616 ioping-0.8]# ./ioping -c 5 /
    4.0 KiB from / (simfs /vz/vms/52616/private): request=1 time=284 us

4.0 KiB from / (simfs /vz/vms/52616/private): request=2 time=323 us

4.0 KiB from / (simfs /vz/vms/52616/private): request=3 time=365 us

4.0 KiB from / (simfs /vz/vms/52616/private): request=4 time=471 us

4.0 KiB from / (simfs /vz/vms/52616/private): request=5 time=405 us

--- / (simfs /vz/vms/52616/private) ioping statistics ---
    5 requests completed in 4.0 s, 2.7 k iops, 10.6 MiB/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 284 us / 369 us / 471 us / 64 us

• FlorisFloris Member
    edited March 2014

to compare:

xxx@play:~$ dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 6.1578 s, 174 MB/s
    xxxxx@play:~$ ioping . -c 5
    4096 bytes from . (simfs xxx): request=1 time=0.1 ms
    4096 bytes from . (simfs xxx): request=2 time=0.1 ms
    4096 bytes from . (simfs xxx): request=3 time=0.1 ms
    4096 bytes from . (simfs xxx): request=4 time=0.1 ms
    4096 bytes from . (simfs xxx): request=5 time=0.1 ms

--- . (simfs xxx) ioping statistics ---
    5 requests completed in 4000.9 ms, 11236 iops, 43.9 mb/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 0.1/0.1/0.1/0.0 ms

We are actively watching abuse though, and kick the abusers off our nodes (manually).

This is RAID1 SATA3.
    OVH Canada aswell.

• ovh sales are very slow and the new classic vps looks like it is being over sold but i am not 100% sure about that i wanted to sign upto to them i sent images of my british passport and visa id card for indonesia which has my indo address on it and they said they wanted more proof of address and this was after 1 week i gave up on them in the end. Once again I think they ( maybe )over selling though this is my opinion not a fact.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
    edited March 2014

@sz1hosting said:
    ovh sales are very slow and the new classic vps looks like it is being over sold but i am not 100% sure about that i wanted to sign upto to them i sent images of my british passport and visa id card for indonesia which has my indo address on it and they said they wanted more proof of address and this was after 1 week i gave up on them in the end. Once again I think they ( maybe )over selling though this is my opinion not a fact.

OVH also requested scans of my passport and utility bills :/

• n0myn0my Member
    edited March 2014

VPS Cloud 2 2013 here:

root@vps:~$ wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    CPU model :  AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 4284
    Number of cores : 2
    CPU frequency :  3000.000 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 4955 MB
    Total amount of swap : 2049 MB
    System uptime :   23:56,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 16.4MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 10.2MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 15.4MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 7.47MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 23.9MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 28.7MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 5.65MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 12.3MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 12.6MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 21.7MB/s
    I/O speed :  7.0 MB/s

Never gonna get OVH VPS again. Only the network and dedicated servers are good.

• Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited March 2014

Their VPS used to be good until 2012 but with the previous price drop in 2013 performance deteriorated & now with this further price drop in 2014 drop they have become even worst.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • i am staying away from ovh now to much time wasted i could of sent them a letter with my address in indo but i couldn't be bothered was already 1 week trying to buy a vps from them which i didn't need, just wanted to try and i did not like the way they treated me, i told them look at the visa booklet image my address is there it is a official gov document so they just annoyed me basically. They have to many customers signing up for the classic vps in 6 months maybe they will improve.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited March 2014

It looks like all the people with poor results have servers in France? I have a new classic in Canada and get 100+ MB/s like everyone else there. As usual with OVH it seems like the services in Canada are way better for some reason.

• FlorisFloris Member
    edited March 2014

@Dylan said:
    It looks like all the people with poor results have servers in France? I have a new classic in Canada and get 100+ MB/s like everyone else there. As usual with OVH it seems like the services in Canada are way better for some reason.

These aren't crammed because they didn't start selling them there yet, just in beta phase, but that's my personal opinion.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited March 2014

Floris said: These aren't crammed because they didn't start selling them there yet, just in beta phase, but that's my personal opinion.

They've been selling them in Canada since the new line launched on the European OVH websites (e.g. http://www.ovh.ie/vps/vps-classic.xml). You can choose BHS, RBX, or SBG. The beta is just for selling them directly from the Canadian/US websites.

• @Dylan said:
    They've been selling them in Canada since the new line launched on the European OVH websites (e.g. http://www.ovh.ie/vps/vps-classic.xml). You can choose BHS, RBX, or SBG. The beta is just for selling them directly from the Canadian/US websites.

Exactly, and thus they're less ordered.

• on OVH Cloud (Premium VPS) i see around 110MB on Classic i see around 50MB 1an1 Dynamic cloud servers are just terrible. i was seeing 40MB max, they finally admitted the reason for this is they use power saving drives such as WD green/red

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited March 2014

hmmm ok i had before this:

And now that:

Seems like realy a software issue, i keep my atom for 5Euros with 120Mb/s...

• As they said it's not an issue, they seem to be intentionally limiting the IO of their VPS plans. They probably don't want to spend too much time chasing abusers and don't want too many people to get a VPS that is better than their OVH dedi and cancel their dedis and get a cheaper VPS instead.

edited March 2014

@Infinity580 said:

I think it's software limited also, very annoying as these are apparently RAID10 drives. Where did you get a 5 euro a month atom from!?

P.S. nice blanking out of the hostname ;)

Thanked by 2Shoaib_A netomx
  • FlorisFloris Member
    edited March 2014

@Infinity580 said:
    hmmm ok i had before this:

And now that:

you forgot to blank out your top image and your DD test.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@linuxthefish they had about one year ago dedis for 3.99Euros per Month Intel Atom, they now cost 13.80Euros i think (N2800)

• @Dylan said:

Yes, only French OVH VPS have ridiculous I/O speed. Mine was provisioned yesterday and it's located in their RBX2 DC; I'm also getting 10-11MB/s.

I can't really complain for what it's worth though; 2.4€/mo with VAT. The real issue is that OVH are pretty much the only low-end VPS provider in France; they're essentially a monopoly.

• FlorisFloris Member
    edited March 2014

@Infinity580 said:
    linuxthefish they had about one year ago dedis for 3.99Euros per Month Intel Atom, they now cost 13.80Euros i think (N2800)

It's still there, above CPU info and under speed test on your top image. (hostname)

• howardsl2howardsl2 Member
    edited March 2014

EDITED.

• FalzoFalzo Member

they simply seem to dont oversell, but restricting ressources to become uninteresting for abusers maybe?

for sure 10 MB/s is slow, but the question schould be: do you encounter problems at all?
    not long ago, nobody cares about IO... ~100MB/s has been normal setup for dedicated, so vserver alwas had been much more slower... nowadays most scams go with high IO rate which you only get in the beginning...

i dont see OVH promising ssd-caching somewhere, and regarding the support, their perfectly clear about it, what else could you wish for ;-)

be real, if one will sell a vps at this price, he wont care if someone will not continue using it because of bad IO ^^

• tchentchen Member

I find it ironic that OVH slabs and rate limits within VMware in order to contain abusive behavior from impacting more customers, yet that very limit is causing people to be abusive running dd's all day :)

Thanked by 1howardsl2
This discussion has been closed.