Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rus Foster guns for the $15/year market: TechieVPS offers 128MB/10GB/1TB OVZ in London or USA West - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Rus Foster guns for the $15/year market: TechieVPS offers 128MB/10GB/1TB OVZ in London or USA West

124»

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2012

@Francisco said: Does /proc/xen exist on XEN HN's?

I haven't personally used Xen from the host node side, but a quick googling shows that according to https://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/5.2/Virtualization/sect-Virtualization-Tips_and_tricks-Identifying_guest_type_and_implementation.html /proc/xen(and at least /capabilities) does exist on Dom0 (host node) too.

• @rm_ said: What I'm saying, you can not conclude the above part just from the kernel version string having "xen" alone.

Sigh.

cat /proc/xen/balloon
    Current allocation:  **1540096 kB**

1540096/1048576 = 1.46875 ~ 1.47 GB

Happy now? :p

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@liam said: I never saw the point of the prem section, but you seem to have a little mason society going their.

I'm not a member :) I simply have insiders that like to forward things to me since I got a big mouth.

Francisco

@liam said: Interesting. Wheres this blog post Rus wrote about 'umanaged'.

http://fsck.me.uk/index.php/what-does-an-unmanaged-provider-manage-we-dont-support-ponies/

Seems it's from last year and it never got brought up until it hit IRC earlier in the week :P

Francisco

• quirkyquarkquirkyquark Member
    edited April 2012

All indications are this kernel is a special "Xen-aware" OVZ one, i.e. it will run on a PV or HVM domU, with pv_ops enabled. AFAIK, plain 2.6.18 does not support running as either Dom0 or DomU.

@quirkyquark said: All indications are this kernel is a special "Xen-aware" OVZ one, i.e. it will run as a PV or HVM domU, with pv_ops enabled. AFAIK, 2.6.18 native does not support running as either Dom0 or DomU.

FYI OVZ does post the -xen enabled kernels on their site, it's an official deal.

Francisco

@liam said: What a poorly written blog post which rambles on about something which I just don't get. (I can't see what his accusation/rant about you is based on)

I think it's more just the ponies thing. It doesn't really make sense at all.

It's quite possible he has a daughter and she's really into MLP but I dunno, I was just confused.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: It's quite possible he has a daughter and she's really into MLP

He does have a daughter, from the earlier blog posts, and I think he just means pony instead of ponyyyyyyy ;)

• 
    root@tkyjp:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 43.1323 s, 24.9 MB/s

This isn't even the $15 deal, but it works for now. All I use it for is vpning.

• @Francisco said: FYI OVZ does post the -xen enabled kernels on their site

http://wiki.openvz.org/How_to_use_OpenVZ_as_a_XEN_guest_OS_(for_x86_platform)

Good. With ponyyyyyy's blessings, I may just get one of the soon-to-be-released KVMs and a few IPs and fsck around with some not-for-profit VPS-on-VPS action ;)

Here's a question though: suppose all the OVZ containers on a "host" are for your own use, would there be a way to use dupemerge/hard links to save disk space when the containers are running mostly similar OSs?

@quirkyquark said: Here's a question though: suppose all the OVZ containers on a "host" are for your own use, would there be a way to use dupemerge/hard links to save disk space when the containers are running mostly similar OSs?

S'how virtuozzo does it.

Francisco

• someone says, vps on vps, poor performance.

• cedriccedric Member
    edited April 2012

@Aldryic said: I did set a temporary password of mydickburnsforyou for a particularly obnoxious client once <_<

Love you too, Aldryic.

• @cedric said: Love you too, Aldryic.

Ahaha, oops, two clients then :P The obnoxious guy I was referring to (Jerry), was from back in our VMWare days. Dude would get super-pissed at the drop of a hat... even Fran trolled him once, setting his pass as rageragerageJERRYRAGE :3

• AldryicAldryic Member
    edited April 2012
    07:11:29 <~Aldryic> .license techievps.com
    07:11:38 <+alina> Aldryic: host refused to provide license info: invalid URL 
    or nulled (guessed http://techievps.com/whmcs-2/, supplied one refused to 
    provide license info). public WHMCS checker (http://www.whmcs.com/members/verifydomain.php) 
    reports that the domain techievps.com is authorized to use WHMCS

• vldvld Member
    edited April 2012

There are 2 whmcs installs, one valid in /billing:

.check techievps.com/billing
    vld: WHMCS license 336a0845015670fc6c71 (UK2 Limited, UK-2 Limited, [email protected]) for techievps.com (domain registered on 2011-12-20)  [46.23.76.234 - Netherlands, UK2 - Ltd] is currently active. Type: Monthly Lease No Branding, valid from 2011-12-21 to 2012-05-21 (billed monthly), v5.0.3 installed in /home/techievp/public_html/billing, no addons.

.check search: techie
    vld: found 2 results: WHMCS license 336a0845015670fc6c71 (russell foster, [email protected]) for techievps.com [46.23.76.234] was active on 23/03/2012 12:07. WHMCS license 336a0845015670fc6c71 (UK2 Limited, UK-2 Limited, [email protected]) for techievps.com [46.23.76.234] was active on 25/04/2012 16:16. 

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited April 2012

@liam said: Are you his daughter? :}

Rumor of the century. We have to find a way to get that started.

@Francisco Dias...born Francesca F0ster.

Thanked by 1Liam
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Francisco said: I got a big mouth.

and deep throat? ;D

Thanked by 1TheHackBox