Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rus Foster guns for the $15/year market: TechieVPS offers 128MB/10GB/1TB OVZ in London or USA West - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Rus Foster guns for the $15/year market: TechieVPS offers 128MB/10GB/1TB OVZ in London or USA West

Comments

• @FTN_Kevin said: So he basically has a VPS.net instance and installed Solus+OVZ on that.

Yep.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@FTN_Kevin said: So he basically has a VPS.net instance and installed Solus+OVZ on that.

Right. His reasoning behind it was that it gave him the ability to grow/shrink easily as a nodes demand changed.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: Right. His reasoning behind it was that it gave him the ability to grow/shrink easily as a nodes demand changed oversell like mad.

FTFY :3

@Aldryic said: oversell like mad.

The performance reports that are coming in are being marked from 'meh' to 'ok at best'. He doesn't have room to really fiddle with his setup since he's on a cookie cutter 'cloud' setup. I still think if the brand was fully backed by UK2, then they'd own the domain and not him.

Francisco

• laaevlaaev Member

@Francisco said: Right. His reasoning behind it was that it gave him the ability to grow/shrink easily as a nodes demand changed.

Lol... not worth it when all clients get is 6 MB/s disk performance, while you guys get over 250+ :p

For now.

There's some 'rus'tling in the barns to get it to a pretty consistent 400M/sec with a nice IOP/s boost. We got quite a few nodes in the 350M/sec bracket, a couple in the 400M/sec bracket and the majority in the 180 - 250M/sec bracket.

Francisco

• JacobJacob Member

@Francisco You still haven't told me what drives you use. ;)

• Anyone expecting to use these for more than "transit" is likely to be disappointed.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Aldryic said: A bit irritating how everyone keeps assuming it's in reference to my little pony, though <_<

So many other possibilities:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pony

I assume #28 is the true intent:

"To partake in sexual intercourse, characterised by a combination of gratuitous ferocity, a profound absence of mercy and occasional insanity towards the recipient. Normally the prescribed response to a minor infraction."

• ... that is simply amazing XD

The original source for what got me started with "PONY" was from Full Metal Panic. Stallion from Wordsworth inspired the more brutal aspect (and also was the inspiration for my thrusting).

A couple of years passed, and once the horse masks started getting popular, several other incarnations also became highly relevant :3

• tuxtux Member

@NateN34 said: BuyVM is same price, so why would I bother with this. :)

They have stock. BuyVM is always out of stock

• Hey, I thought I ruled the market with VPS on VPS Hosting

http://hostbluff.com/new-vps-on-a-vps-on-a-vps-on-an-elephant-hosting/

Thanked by 3laaev Infinity Liam

@tux said: They have stock. BuyVM is always out of stock

I got something like 500 - 600 units coming up so we'll see how the frenzy is this time.

Francisco

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Francisco said: I got something like 500 - 600 units coming up so we'll see how the frenzy is this time.

Even as we speak, soldiers in the buyvm crew are bagging them up for street-level sale.

• tommytommy Member

@fan said: Yes, here's the answer I got from Rus:

These are cloud backed offering much higher levels of uptime and performance

thanks for clarification :)

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited April 2012

@quirkyquark said: no apparent restrictions other than no IRC.

This is incorrect. IRC isn't forbidden by TOS however IRC usage explanation go into relevant details.

• @liam said: Let me get this straight, which no one else is addressing, him and his staff lied to their clients about their vps servers? I wouldn't want to be with a host who lie to their clients.

What lie?

• @Francisco said: Right. His reasoning behind it was that it gave him the ability to grow/shrink easily as a nodes demand changed.

Why does that need the middleman layer of virtualization? You can partition one phy node between OVZ and KVM however you want. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the same can be done for OVZ and Xen. Ultimately you're limited by the resources of the phy node.

@quirkyquark said: Why does that need the middleman layer of virtualization? You can partition one phy node between OVZ and KVM however you want. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the same can be done for OVZ and Xen. Ultimately you're limited by the resources of the phy node.

Well, the whole thing runs within VPS.NET instances. His reasoning is he can live migrate/failover/etc his whole deployment and give more performance than any competitor.

in theory it should work like that, but really, the only cloud i've seen be really stable are linode, slicehost, some of amazon, & rackspace. Why? Because they use localized storage. But wait, that suddenly removes a whole bunch of the 'sexiness' that is a cloud! You can't 'really' fail over local storage. Sure, you can use DRBD and such but that's hellishly slow during resyncs. Live migrations? 'kinda' work with DRBD but it's still pretty iffy.

As for my 'some of amazon' comment, the only part of amazon's setup that has been really solid has been their non 'elastic storage' stuff. Reddit should be a good proving grounds of how well that platform works. Before Reddit moved to all localized storage, they were having monthly, and for a while weekly, full site blow outs.

Francisco

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

Localised IP San seems far far better than VPS.net SAN method.

I've got a lot of experience with Applogic and it does IP SAN, which means local and external volumes. If a volume fails it failsover to another volume.

The main problem with VPS.net is the SAN selection and the software they have used, OnAPP itself is a very stable product and there are many good providers out there.

I had an argument with Ditlev one of the VPS.NET big wigs as he was trying to tell me that they had SAN redundancy, by that they meant they had another SAN ready to be plugged in :( That was a couple of years ago however.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2012

@Spirit said: This is incorrect. IRC isn't forbidden by TOS however IRC usage explanation go into relevant details.

Sadly the current TOS does read as forbidding any sort of IRC usage:

"IRC robots (“bots” or “clones”) or IRC sessions may not be run from TECHIEVPS’s server accounts." -- http://techievps.com/legal/

Which is silly, since it does indeed go into details on what is actually forbidden (troublemaking), which would seem kinda pointless, if the previous bullet point forbids ALL kinds of IRC usage outright.

• what ever, i get refund.
    now seems solusVM is down, maybe for update or database issue.
    maybe they can find other method to let the ovz vps looks like in a dedicated server but not xen VPS box?

• @NateN34 said: BuyVM is same price, so why would I bother with this. :)

@JoeMerit said: Made me laugh :)

haha :D

-xen in the kernel version does not necessarily mean the VPS is a Xen guest, it only means that the kernel has the Xen patch applied. Maybe it's simply the same host node runs both OpenVZ and Xen instances.

• @rm_ said: Maybe it's simply the same host node runs both OpenVZ and Xen instances.

the node name in SolusVM is "slc1fifteen", i understand that all $15 ovz vps put in this node. maybe no other plans.

• @rm_ said: -xen in the kernel version does not necessarily mean the VPS is a Xen guest, it only means that the kernel has the Xen patch applied. Maybe it's simply the same host node runs both OpenVZ and Xen instances.

I think you're missing the point, which is not that the VPS is a Xen guest, but that the VPS host node is a Xen guest! What seems to be happening is that the physical host node is running multiple Xen instances ("clouds"), and some of these Xen guests are in turn hosting multiple $15 OVZ instances.

@quirkyquark said: that the VPS host node is a Xen guest!

I understood your point. What I'm saying, you can not conclude the above part just from the kernel version string having "xen" alone.

@rm_ said: -xen in the kernel version does not necessarily mean the VPS is a Xen guest, it only means that the kernel has the Xen patch applied. Maybe it's simply the same host node runs both OpenVZ and Xen instances.

Does /proc/xen exist on XEN HN's?

Francisco

@quirkyquark said: I think you're missing the point, which is not that the VPS is a Xen guest, but that the VPS host node is a Xen guest! What seems to be happening is that the physical host node is running multiple Xen instances ("clouds"), and some of these Xen guests are in turn hosting multiple $15 OVZ instances.

I think it's all just a rented VPS.NET instance.

Terry stated that they weren't investing in any dedicated equipment 'to keep costs low', so it was all sitting on top of VPS.NET. This was in the prem section of WHT.

Francisco