Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rus Foster guns for the $15/year market: TechieVPS offers 128MB/10GB/1TB OVZ in London or USA West
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Rus Foster guns for the $15/year market: TechieVPS offers 128MB/10GB/1TB OVZ in London or USA West

quirkyquarkquirkyquark Member
edited April 2012 in General

TL;DR of WHT post:

OpenVZ 128Mb/256 Burst/10GB Disk Space/1TB of transfer for $15/yr in London, UK (test: 83.170.117.122) or Salt Lake City, USA (West) (test: 69.36.161.83); SolusVM with self-enable-able TUN/TAP.

UK datacenter is UK2 (their parent company) [ASN/Peering]; US DC is WestHost, also UK2-owned.

Rus has come up numerous times in our discussions, from running OVZ on KVM to how he hands his masterpieces over to others before completing them. That said, this offer claims:

We are backed by UK2 Group who provide hosting to over a million domains with customers in 75+ countries meaning that you know you are in safe hands and not a fly by night pump and dump company.

The UK offer is definitely very interesting.... Discuss!

For those interested, link to WHMCS (see top left). TL;DR of AUP: boilerplate -- no apparent restrictions other than no IRC.

Comments

• If the Salt Lake City location is good for Asian customers for VPN then I suspect he will do a lot of business on the $15/yr plans .

• No thanks.

BuyVM is same price, so why would I bother with this. :)

Thanked by 1Liam
  • Expand: BuyVM is same price, so why would I bother with this. :)

Made me laugh :)

• @liam said: If anyone does buy this be sure to regularly back up your files as I've noticed vps.net (their parent company) have been prone to a lot of hard drive failures etc.

People should be doing this at every company.

• fanfan Veteran

Built on VPS.net cloud, you'll know the performance.

• @JoeMerit said: If the Salt Lake City location is good for Asian customers for VPN then I suspect he will do a lot of business on the $15/yr plans .

I have to say, the US west test ip 69.36.161.83 network is not so good in test....
    ping from different location in china is averagely about 300ms, as buyvm is about 200ms.

but they provide 1TB bandwidth, double against buyvm

• @yywudi said: I have to say, the US west test ip 69.36.161.83 network is not so good in test....

ping from different location in china is averagely about 300ms, as buyvm is about 200ms.

but they provide 1TB bandwidth, double against buyvm

Of course that IP doesn't test well, its in the UK.

Try the other ip listed - 83.170.117.122 (Salt Lake City, Utah)

• tommytommy Member

@fan said: Built on VPS.net cloud, you'll know the performance.

are sure?

• @JoeMerit said: Of course that IP doesn't test well, its in the UK.

Try the other ip listed - 83.170.117.122 (Salt Lake City, Utah)

i think the post is not correct, 69.36.161.83 is in US, 83.170.117.122 is in UK.
    you can also check in their page:http://techievps.com/front-page/locations/

• @liam said: I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole...

With eyes wide open I jumped in and got one of the UK plans...

[root@ ~]# uname -r
    2.6.18-308.el5.028stab099.3xen

[root@ ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 156.948 seconds, 6.8 MB/s

[root@ ~]# wget http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    Saving to: `100mb.test'

100%[=============================================================================>] 

104,857,600 31.9M/s   in 3.1s

16:15:58 (31.9 MB/s) - `100mb.test' saved [104857600/104857600]

Geekbench 2.2.7/2.3.1 32-bit (segfaults)

Processor             Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5504  @ 2.00GHz @ 2.00 GHz
                            4 Processors
    Memory                1.47 GB

• fanfan Veteran

@tommy said: are sure?

Yes, here's the answer I got from Rus:

These are cloud backed offering much higher levels of uptime and performance

• @quirkyquark said: 2.6.18-308.el5.028stab099.3xen

Inception.

• @yywudi said: i think the post is not correct, 69.36.161.83 is in US, 83.170.117.122 is in UK.

Fixed the swap-typo, sorry.

The 1.47 GB number from Geekbench is a dead giveaway that there is another layer of virtualization beneath....

• These are cloud backed offering much higher levels of uptime and performance

vps.net is high uptime? Since when?

Thanked by 1klikli
  • fanfan Veteran

@rds100 said: vps.net is high uptime? Since when?

Rus said that. Looks he's quite proud with his company.

• @quirkyquark said: SolusVM with self-enable-able TUN/TAP.

interesting, but i didn't see such self-enable in other VPS provider's SolusVM.

• @fan said: These are cloud backed offering much higher levels of uptime and performance

Which is codename for VPS these days?

Thanked by 1Aldryic
  • @yywudi it's new feature which is available in SolusVM since yesterday (to let the users enable/disable tun/tap when they want).
    But some other providers have implemented other means of enabling tun/tap without the need to open tickets, even before soluslabs came up with this.

• @yywudi it's new feature which is available in SolusVM since yesterday (to let the users enable/disable tun/tap when they want).

But some other providers have implemented other means of enabling tun/tap without the need to open tickets, even before soluslabs came up with this.

We did that. Just used SolusVMs API. Was a 5 minute job :)

• @LV_Matt me too :)

• Looks in line with the poor performance of the last product I tried from Rus.

Could be still ok for strictly VPN use.

• AsimAsim Member

@liam yes

• That was Xen, this is a new OpenVZ offering (albeit on Xen ;-))

@yywudi said: SolusVM with self-enable-able TUN/TAP.

It doesn't show up in their SolusVM, although other providers have implemented it...

• @fan said: Built on VPS.net cloud, you'll know the performance.

Yeh, it will be crap.

• @Asim nice review. Just one thing. UK2 doesn't own ThrustVPS.

• @LV_Matt said: @Asim nice review. Just one thing. UK2 doesn't own ThrustVPS.

IOMart/RapidSwitch does

• Rus only worked for them. However I will admit he has a controversial past.

• @LV_Matt said: Rus only worked for them. However I will admit he has a controversial past.

Agreed. Some also say he was partly responsible for the loss K.T Ligesh (Including me)

• @liam said: i believe he lost his wife and has a young child.

That doesnt change anything. Why would he get himself stuck in such a situation then?