Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which Operating System is best for PC? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which Operating System is best for PC?

124»

Comments

• @iceTwy said:
    I suppose some people like that mobile-y feeling, but as a result you can't just go around using 8 and expect to have a full-blown stable workstation. 7 is better at this, even if it isn't the Holy Grail either.

There's absolutely nothing forcing you to use the tablet UI, and in fact with 8.1 I find it a lot better than the old Start menu. Also why wouldn't it be stable? The only issue I ever had with W8 that wasn't caused by Linux was when I upgraded my CPU (had to reinstall), right now my install is >6 months old and it's still running good as new.

• GienGien Member

@asterisk14 said:

I agree XP is great. If you found Win 7 too bloated, try Tiny7. I use TinyXP and it flies on my old >Celeron 1.5GHz laptop. Even lubuntu and other supposed low resource linux variants run really >crap on it even bohd

Ill try tiny7 again. As i tried it in the beginning and there was still allot of bigs and bloatware.. maybe that just comes with windows vista and up.. too much servoces that all depend on eachother while 90% op the users never use those servives you simply cant remove them.

Problem is that i had an slow pc without sufficient memory, my xp machine was a quadcore, max ram made speedy with dual ssd and raid 512mb for the "normal" hdd's.. it just run like a charm.. just the bare essentials were running and that was it, idle mode it used less then 80mb (which for linux people is still much) still i wasnt able to use any x64 type stuff..

To comparr my desktop debian uses arround 120mb but thats mostly the desktop part..
    And my windows 7 system while tweaked and some bloatware removed still idles arround 700mb

Not that need to care it has 16gb of memory, problem is when i use up arround half win7 becomes very unstable.. so yeah love the windows crap..

But i want to play a game once in a while and run some windows o ly stuff

• Windows 8.1 and Arch Linux with UEFI.

• @Gien said:

I ran tiny 7 on a p4m laptop 1.6ghz with 512mb ram and it ran without problems.

• @Maounique @magiobiwan said:
    That is a terrible idea unless you never use those online. You will swell the ranks of zombies. Windows is not open source and there might be a lot of vulnerabilities to discover, even after 15 years.

I don't think anyone will be targetting xp anymore, hackers will probably be trying to hack 7 or 8 now as the available pool of xp machines starts to decrease.

• neroux said: As for Linux, it is a completely different system which is however not worse or better but simply different.

Which one fits all the possible drivers in 600-ish gigabytes, and which one 300-ish megabytes? Oh, right.

• Win8 only if monitor is touch screen. Otherwise Win7

• I've just got the 8.1 UPDATE 1 iso, and after the updates it's working flawlessly, if you're using 7 and go to 8.1 update 1 you will notice a HUGE improvement in memory usage and x64 capabilities usage.. also, if you have a VT-X capable chip, I'd recommend using 2012 RT2 X64 instead, that way you won't need SLAT in your chip to use HYPER-V stuff (which is great) and you can run windows phone 8 and android 4.3 inside hyper-v with 200MB ram each! it's crazy..

So my best guess would be w2012, since you can also add all the "fancy" stuff in windows 8.1 to it without suffering the massive difference in resources ussage.. so far I'm using both, 8.1 update 1 for daily use and 2012 (with Desktop Experience) when I wanna use Hyper-v ..

Remember that "market" apps like facebook and twitta' will improve a lot your memory ussage since you won't need a browser window opened all the time (and we all know how much RAM this chrome chrap consumes for no reason).. also the split desktop is a great feature!

• PS: if you're gonna try 8.1 update 1, AVOID installing KB2930275, it will produce BSOD (tricky microsoft guys.. got me installing one update by one and restarting every time to find the buggy one).

• VPNVPN Member

I would happily use Ubuntu Desktop on a daily basis as I love it.
    However as a GSP, I find myself either on a game server of a customer in a support role troubleshooting issues. Or just on any other server playing casually cos I can.

Linux is too limited for this stuff and so I stick with Windows.

For the deeper question though, I used Windows 7 Ultimate x64 for a couple of years from release without any issues and jumped on the Windows 8 Ultimate x64bandwagon when it was at RTM stage.

I loved it for about 6 months and then shit just started to go wrong. The keyboard and mouse would randomly stop working. Random blue screens with various different errors and reasons. Errors about Windows not being genuine despite it being a genuine TechNet key.

Went back to Windows 7 (I had dual booted 7 and 8 incase I ever wanted to go back) and have been using it great since (around 12 months now)

• been experimating the last few days with elementaryOS on my lil notebook, good stuff, I like it