Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which Operating System is best for PC? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which Operating System is best for PC?

Comments

• lewekleoneklewekleonek Member
    edited March 2014

Do you play games? Or better do you need native DirectX support or support for any software package that runs exclusively on Microsoft Windows?

• then stick to Windows 7

Otherwise you got more choices:

• Linux - pick your flavour - I'm running Ubuntu on some boxes, Arch Linux on others
    • PC-BSD - and why not? it's a good/stable operating system based of FreeBSD

At least you have a choice.

There isn't best one out there. You pick what works for you.

• mee2mee2 Member

Os is a platform. So it all depends on what you are going to use your pc for.

• marcmmarcm Member

Mac OS X

• tzartzar Member

Arch Linux - simple packages direct from upstream that are always up to date. As a developer, can't beat Linux

• marcmmarcm Member

Arch Linux = Slackware done right :P

• fislefisle Member

Debian Sid all the way.

• easyeasy Member

still using windows xp..

• @easy said:
    still using windows xp..

You have less than 2 weeks until Microsoft stop supporting XP.

• StarryStarry Member, Host Rep

I am using windows 7 and I hate Windows 8.. So I won't consider to update it.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

Windows 8.1 preferred. Although I am using Windows 8. Too lazy to upgrade.

• FtpIt_Radi said: Windows 8.1 preferred. Although I am using Windows 8. Too lazy to upgrade.

Windows 8.1 Update 1 is coming on April 7. You can upgrade as this includes improvements.

• easyeasy Member

@namhuy said:
    You have less than 2 weeks until Microsoft stop supporting XP.

nah, it's good excuse to start learning linux ;) .

• Why you need to learn linux ? just get linux w/ GUI like ubuntu or so. nothing different than windows.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@sc754 said:
    Not windows 8 unless you want a OS that has bugs and breaks whenever it feels like it. I wish I never upgrade from windows 7. You should always give Windows 3 years to work through the bugs

I haven't encountered any bugs yet, only software that isn't compatible win Win8 but that's not really Microsofts fault.

• windows 7 ultimate + debian wheezy with lxde, dual boot
    love it

• I use deb on all my systems, and spend my days fixing Windows boxes. The best feature of Microsoft Windows, any version, is it's ability to crash & burn, get infected, or otherwise become disfunctional -- which brings in more business for me :) Go Microsoft!

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • GienGien Member

Nothing beat my old pc with xp, startup times, file searching, opening this pc and see all your harddrives..

I tweaked the hell out of my xp, removed all the crap. Did the same with win7 but still have to take search, indexer etc as there an essential service. I dont need all that new crap i just want a blazing fast pc where i run my programs on. I dont like all the bloatware that come preinstalled or part of windows.

I use win7 now, with ssd and another ssd for caching but still, my old xp box beats it. New adobe stuff is also bloated like hell.

Tried windows 8 hated it, i bought a pc i want a pc not a tablet crap thing where everything is the size of an orange. Stupid tiles... And with multiple monitors it sucks even worse...
    I need that start button i already have enough icons on my dashboard..

Haven't tried 8.1so cant say.. but it still doesnt incorperated the traditional start button.. no settings etc.. (i heard) come on even android has something similiar, appz button so you dont have to fill your screen with tiles/shortcuts

For server/programming i use an debian box, switched from ubuntu which got too bloated. Debian is lean, fast and well supported so im happy..

• @Gien said:

I use win7 now, with ssd and another ssd for caching but still, my old xp box beats it. New adobe stuff is also bloated like hell.

>

I agree XP is great. If you found Win 7 too bloated, try Tiny7. I use TinyXP and it flies on my old Celeron 1.5GHz laptop. Even lubuntu and other supposed low resource linux variants run really crap on it even bohdi.

• iceTwyiceTwy Member
    edited March 2014

I won't even try to understand why people are still running XP, if not on old PCs (and even that isn't a valid excuse), no matter how they've customized it. I guess they just inconsciously want to watch their PC being exploited in every possible way.

With that set apart, I would use Windows 7 instead of 8 if I had to reinstall Windows on a box. I tried out 8 in a VM and I really hated the way it was thought of and designed with mobile/portable users in mind; it looks like Microsoft attempted to port their Windows Phone OS to PC/laptops... and miserably failed at it.

I suppose some people like that mobile-y feeling, but as a result you can't just go around using 8 and expect to have a full-blown stable workstation. 7 is better at this, even if it isn't the Holy Grail either.

But anyway, now that my 7 installation has had its partition corrupted, I'm not dual-booting on my main PC anymore. I'm missing out on some games, but it still is a good riddance not to have a crappy proprietary OS anymore. I'm only using Debian and Arch at the moment.

• I'm only using Debian and Arch at the moment.

Archlinux as secondary O.S?
    is that really good?

• emgemg Veteran
    edited March 2014

Is it okay to be platform agnostic?

I feel reasonably comfortable on nearly any computer running nearly any OS. Windows? Sure. Linux? Yeah. Mac? No problem.

DOS? Uh-huh. (It could be MSDOS/PCDOS, but don't forget Apple DOS, which is totally different.)

Anyone remember the many flavors of UNIX? AIX, SunOS/Solaris, HP-UX, IRIX, SCO, or the more obscure Ultrix and OSF/1, etc? I had jobs working on all of them.

. . . and don't forget all of those obscure OSs that some of you have never heard of: OS/360, DTSS, RSTS, RSX, VMS, MVS, MTOS, iRMX-86, CP/M, UCSD p-system, and OS/2, to name a few.

Systems with ones complement data representation? Been there. Systems with 18-bit word size? Done that.

When someone asks me which system is best, I usually tell them to buy the same system as the person who will be helping them most.

P.S. Watch out for the same command that does different things in different OSs. The purge command means "delete old versions of a file but not the current version" in VMS, which is relatively benign. Unfortunately, the purge command means "delete everything in this directory and all subdirectories" in iRMX-86. Guess who spent their first day on the job reconstructing an entire directory tree in iRMX-86?

• @iceTwy said:
    I won't even try to understand why people are still running XP, if not on old PCs (and even that isn't a valid excuse), no matter how they've customized it.

because it just works. if i upgrade what will i do with my printer, scanner, software which runs on xp?

• iceTwyiceTwy Member
    edited March 2014

@infected said:

I don't dualboot Debian and Arch, actually. My PC runs on Arch but I do often get to use Debian/Debian-based distros on laptops. I always have an USB key with a live distro around.

@asterisk14 said:
    because it just works. if i upgrade what will i do with my printer, scanner, software which runs on xp?

I'm fairly confident in saying that those will work just as well with a more recent OS. They should work on Windows, Linux, Mac with no hassle, even if they're rather old hardware.

• Windows 8.1 for PC & Windows 8 for NB (8.1 not working). Still dreaming to own MAC.

• IceCream said: Yes, we Gentoo users are the best.

I don't get how people can use an OS where every single package that has to be installed needs to be compiled. I'm too used to the .deb system.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2014

joelgm said: I don't get how people can use an OS where every single package that has to be installed needs to be compiled.

It is not so hard, but it is not practical for me, I have slow machines at home and not much time, so I have to trust Debian to provide vetted spy-free packages. Even if I didnt ,there is not much hope for me to read all the code and make sure it is really unencumbered even if I were a programmer.

• who would ever use gentoo as home o.s, like srsly

• Windows 7 For now best I have gone back from both Windows 8 and Windows 8.1
    currently windows 7 is probably the best option

• @joelgm said:
    I don't get how people can use an OS where every single package that has to be installed needs to be compiled. I'm too used to the .deb system.

or probably he has a cluster of computers with Gentoo so he cross compiles the package which makes the compiling process faster