Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which Operating System is best for PC? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which Operating System is best for PC?

Comments

• tommytommy Member

what's Windows ??? :P

LOL

• @tommy said:
    what's Windows ??? :P

LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT

• Still using XP on all my computers, which is 4 laptops, and 2-3 desktops. Have win 7 but will not upgrade for a good few years and linux is crap so will not be using that also.

So XP is best from my experience.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2014

asterisk14 said: will not upgrade for a good few years

That is a terrible idea unless you never use those online. You will swell the ranks of zombies. Windows is not open source and there might be a lot of vulnerabilities to discover, even after 15 years.

Thanked by 2Dylan TheHackBox
  • Windows XP was a great OS, in its day. But it's basically a 12 year old operating system with HEAPS of patches, fixes, and enhancements PILED on it to make it function with modern systems. XP didn't have proper Multi-Core support until SP2 (IIRC). IPv6 was introduced in SP3 (might have been SP2). Heck, it ended Mainstream support back in 2009 and has been on extended support. It's time for XP to go away. Windows 7 is JUST as stable, and runs EXTREMELY well on all sorts of hardware. I personally run Windows 7 on multiple computers that have XP stickers on them. So long as it has at least a dual core (or a single core w/ HT, or a more modern Single Core, such as an Atom), it'll run fine. Aero isn't that heavy when you have a decent graphics card/chipset (if the Intel 945GM chipset in my 7-8 year old laptop can handle Aero just fine, yours can too). Windows 7 WORKS. It has driver support built-in for a LOT more things than Windows XP did (possibly related to the fact that XP was released 12 years ago and if hardware is newer than when XP was released, XP won't have drivers for it). The driver model that was introduced with Vista (WDDM), and enhanced with Windows 7 is quite nice. Supports modern hardware capabilities to their fullest, allows for hot-switching of Graphics Drivers, and so on. It's designed with USABILITY in mind (Windows XP and the Wi-Fi key box, I'm looking at you). It's also designed with mobile devices in mind. Windows 7 can change the default printer depending on the network you're connected to. It's smart when it comes to external displays. I started using Windows 7 about 3 years ago, and I could never go back to using XP full-time. I'd either shoot myself or covertly re-image/re-install the computer to get my Windows 7 back. I could go on even longer, but I think I'll stop here. Windows 7 == Awesome. Windows 8/8.1 COULD be awesome IF it weren't for that UI. Windows 8/8.1 included even more cool new things. The ability to mount ISOs within Windows natively, and so on. BUT the new UI drives people away. I'd use Windows 8 if I had to, but I still prefer 7.
    /rant

Thanked by 2Dylan TheHackBox
  • Magiobiwan said: So long as it has at least a dual core (or a single core w/ HT, or a more modern Single Core, such as an Atom), it'll run fine.

I ran it for quite a while even on a single core Pentium M and it worked just nice.

• varwwwvarwww Member
    edited March 2014

I used Windows 8 and 8.1 as well for 2 months and reverted back to Windows 7. The only advantages of using windows 8.1 over windows 7 is that it boots in less than 10 seconds and UI looks lighter( No aero I suppose) . To get over that annoying start menu, one must install Classic Shell ( http://www.classicshell.net/ ) .

Windows 7 forever! XP is going to die in a month since all security patches will be stopped. Windows 7 is like a rock stable version of Microsoft like how Debian is to Linux based Distro's.

• I actually just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1. I had originally tested Windows 8 and hated it with a passion and I told myself that I would never use it. A few weeks ago, I said why not give 8.1 a go. I gave it a shot with an open mind... and I haven't minded it really. The gestures bother me (as I have a desktop), and there are some drivers bugs (Nvidia, my GPU's driver conflicts with Windows 8 and causes it to not boot properly.) None of these things bother me that much, just small annoyances.

• Ubuntu.

Or Windows 8.1.

• @IceCream said:
    You should go with Gentoo. It's one of the user-friendliest distro's out there.

funroll-loops.info/

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

I use win 7 on my laptop (since I can't take the time to reinstall) an d Win8 on my desktop.

Then I RDP to one or two 2K12 server.

• @Microlinux said:

Yes, we Gentoo users are the best. Thanks.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Windows 8.1 flies on my laptop, and I can play MWO :)

• BruceBruce Member

ubuntu / win7 dual boot

• Currently using GNU/Trisquel on both my Laptop and Desktop as home plus Windows 7 & Fedora on the Work PC. I find Windows very clunky these days compared to a nicely streamlined Linux Distro, set up how I like it and doing what I want.

• It really depends on what you need to do. Personally, I play a lot of Windows-specific games, so it's Windows for me, and I prefer 8/8.1 over 7.
    If I didn't have so many Windows-specific games, I'd be on Ubuntu.

• Windows 8 is my favorite, also spend the $5 on this software http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/ i love it. When i bought it was the best out there.

• I believe people were very hesitant when Windows 8 first came out, but more people are coming around to it. The Windows 8.1 patch addressed many of the complaints people initially had when Windows 8 first came out.

• sc754sc754 Member

Not windows 8 unless you want a OS that has bugs and breaks whenever it feels like it. I wish I never upgrade from windows 7. You should always give Windows 3 years to work through the bugs

@sc754 said:
    Not windows 8 unless you want a OS that has bugs and breaks whenever it feels like it. I wish I never upgrade from windows 7. You should always give Windows 3 years to work through the bugs

like what bug? i have none

• sc754sc754 Member

@netomx said:
    like what bug? i have none

The wifi drivers keep causing drop outs since I upgraded from win 7 and every month or so it goes into an irrecoverable error screen which requires me to do a system restore in order to get back into windows

@sc754 said:

do you have an intel n2230?

• sc754sc754 Member

Nope, i think ill just buy a wifi adapter, should have done that a while ago

@sc754 said:
    Nope, i think ill just buy a wifi adapter, should have done that a while ago

I had it with that one; updating ther drivers did the trick.

• I would not vote for Windows. I mainly work with Centos and Xubuntu right now. I only have Windows on my gaming machine plus Windows boxes at my work since they have to run Quickbooks.

If you don't game or need to run specific windows software, Linux all the way.

• Rob92Rob92 Member

Used to have Windows 8 on laptop when it came preinstalled. Did the upgrade to 8.1 and it broke AMD drivers beyond repair for some reason. Reinstalling drivers/cleaning registry did nothing so I toke it as a chance to install Windows 7. No issues since.

• marcmmarcm Member

Windows 8 and 8.1 aren't the same thing. Windows 8.1 fixes many of the UI and usability issues that shipped with Windows 8. Given what I know about Windows 8.1, I recommend that. I am currently pursuing a MS certification as well, so I had to study Windows :-)

• joelgm said: You've effectively disabled the option to choose Windows 8.

If only it was that easy in real life....

• kerouackerouac Member
    edited March 2014

@neroux said:

I don't think it's far from reality. OP asks for a suggestion, and wants us to compare Windows versions. For the question that is asked, my answer is epistomologically perfectly fine. Aside from the fact that my answer perfectly does, what the questions asks us to do, it's also important to note that technological advancement does not have to be the main aspect when it comes to comparing operating systems. For example you can say, and it's quite sensible to say that Grand Theft Auto: Vice City is the best GTA game. The answer to "what GTA series game should I play?" should not be "play GTA V because it's the most technologically advanced GTA game yet" is not a right, let alone the wanted answer. I'm sure OP knows about the chronological order of Windows versions.

To address my particular comparison, I have ranked Win 7 above all other options as it can get a sufficient point in all aspects, whereas Win 8 has less usability even tough it could have better technology, most advanced kernel etc. I've put 8.1 above 8 as it's an attempt to solve the usability issue. 8.1 is still below 7, as it attempts to implement and popularize a certain technology that I think is a dangerous technology, namely "secure boot" (Win 8 does this too).

The inclusion of GNU/Linux distros at the top of the list was intended as a sarcastic approach to show my disapproval of discussing "best OS" as something to be picked out of a range of Windows versions; and is just there to show my general standpoint while not interfereing with my ability to answer the question in the boundaries set by OP, hence the list continues with only Windows versions, and hence there's no detail about any specific GNU/Linux distros.

It's like being a Saint's Row fan who is asked to rank GTA games could write "any Saint's Row game > (add actual ranking of GTA games here)", only in this case much sensible in comparison to this example from the world of video gaming.

• Each to their own, glad there's a choice.