Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

10 TB storage for 10 EUR/mo from hubiC (OVH)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

10 TB storage for 10 EUR/mo from hubiC (OVH)

rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
edited March 2014 in Providers

Looks like they've got an updated lineup: https://hubic.com/en/offers/
Anyone signed up yet, any reviews? :D
We talked here about hubiC before, but this 10 TB offer seems to be a new thing.
Now if this was mountable via at least WebDAV (not to mention SFTP)...

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited March 2014

hmmm anyone who can realy test if we can use 10TB?

"Data is copied in 3 seperate datacentres in France." so if you realy use 10TB it would be 30TB large for 10Euros not legit never.

• It's something similar to what dropbox/gdrive offers. Of course no root access and the storage space is not dedicated.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Infinity580 said: if you realy use 10TB it would be 30TB large for 10Euros not legit never.

This is a paid service, with none of the "unlimited storage" b/s like some others do, and not for pennies like 1 EUR/mo either; the majority of even the heavy users are likely to use 1-3 TB at most, not 10 TB. So of course it's "oversold" in a way, but I wouldn't doubt you can use 10 TB if you wish to.

Something to note, the website says the speed is limited to 10 Mbit/sec (both of uploads and downloads I assume).

• @rm_ said:
    Something to note, the website says the speed is limited to 10 Mbit/sec (both of uploads and downloads I assume).

Better off get a real backup VPS.

• @forthcloud said:
    Better off get a real backup VPS.

Any suggestions for one that offers 10 TB for 10 Euro or thereabouts?

• @joelgm said:
    Any suggestions for one that offers 10 TB for 10 Euro or thereabouts?

Please expect it to be somewhere between 150-250 EUR per month. Seriously you can't get 1TB for 1 euro.

edited March 2014

forthcloud said: expect it to be somewhere between 150-250 EUR per month. Seriously you can't get 1TB for 1 euro.

So what is the point of your trolling here? Other than to spam your signature in as many threads as possible? "This product is no good, 'better' get the other one, which is 15-25 times more expensive"? Of course at 10 EUR it will come with some limitations, some are irrelevant, e.g. you bring up "root access" which no one even promised you here in the first place, this is just plain storage; and the 10 Mbit/s is not a deal breaker for many uses, backups for example, where you don't upload/download constantly, but upload lots of stuff once and then it just stays there.

• 10 Mbps for uploading backups shouldn't be such a big problem. But once shit hits the fan and you need to download the backups and restore them, having to wait 4 months for the download to complete sounds kind of... strange.

• HubiC should be reliable enough, I hope, and here's why;

The French government has given funds to different national companies so that they can set up one or multiple cloud storage infrastructure(s), in order to compete with Dropbox, Google Drive & co and attract both national and international customers. My guess is that OVH have received some of those funds, and have therefore been able to offer this plan at this price just because of that (even though the up/download speeds are limited to 10MB/s).

I would bet that they're going to expand and become a larger service. That's what the government wants; I suppose it isn't impossible to do it.

rds100 said: having to wait 4 months for the download

In many cases it's enough to know your data is still safe, only very seldom you will need all 10 TB back "right now". Even in the enterprise setting, can't imagine a lot of scenarios where full 10 TB of data is continuously accessed day-to-day; more likely it's just historical storage of past projects etc. Not to mention if we're talking about just a home user with their collection of HD video, photo raws or music rips.

• Wait, limited to 10MB/s or MBit/s.

• chrispchrisp Member
    edited March 2014

10Mbit/s (10MB/s wouldn't really be a limit)

• @rm_ still there should be an option for faster restore, like "pay 10 EUR one time and you can download 10TB at high speed".

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • 25GB free -> 100GB 1eur -> 10TB 10eur. Not much middle ground there...so many peeps will likely pay the 10eur and not use anything like 10TB

• MrXMrX Member

craigb said: 25GB free -> 100GB 1eur -> 10TB 10eur. Not much middle ground there...so many peeps will likely pay the 10eur and not use anything like 10TB

Exactly, and that's part of why they can afford it. Why would you pay 1 EUR for 100 GB when you could pay 10 EUR for 10,000 GB? Just in case you need to store 101 GB of stuff.

• @amarc said:
    BTW can non-EU ppl order this ?

Yes, they do accept international customer.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

Damn, No PayPal. :(

• LeeLee Veteran

I am storing 68.9GB with no drama at all. Upload/Download is consistent.

• tchentchen Member

@rm_ said:
    Now if this was mountable via at least WebDAV (not to mention SFTP)...

I haven't tried yet, but it's Openstack Object Storage API / Swift. Hence the answer should be a resounding yes.

• PatsPats Member

here's the link.. i was also looking into it 2 days back with hope if hubic can be FTP'd :P

https://github.com/oderwat/hubic2swiftgate

Thanked by 2tchen rm_
  • So there is no way to access over SFTP?

• The file sharing doesn't work for me :(

• pcanpcan Member

The 10 Tb / 10 EUR plan has been launched at the beginning of february. I use the 25 Gb free plan to backup some files on a OVH dedicated server.

Nice features:

• It works, and OVH is not going to disappear anytime soon.

• 25 Gb are free and storage is redundant.

• Free client for Android/iOS/almost everyting.

• Data is stored in France and the service is regulated by French law.

But:

• It is slow. Actual upload speed from the OVH server (the best possible scenario) is about 800 kilobytes per second, from my home connection I rarely get more than 50 kilobytes per second.

• The maximum supported file size is 5 Gb.

• No support. Should a issue arise, the suggested solution is to post in the OVH hubiC forum and hope for the best.

• The Windows sync client does taxes the CPU during initialization, and it is badly coded (as example, it does not abort the file copy operation when the source file is removed from the source folder. The copy will complete, and immediately after that the destination file is erased).

• The TOS clearly states that the hubiC service is offered on a best effort basis, nothing is guaranteed, and price can change any time with a short 30 day notice.

• i have also noticed sometimes downloads just randomly stop (which is annoying) aswell as uploads failing via web interface. clearly full of bugs.

• boerndboernd Member
    edited March 2014

I use it as as dropbox replacement. Currently I am storing ~150GB and I am satisfied. OS X client works good.

• Known issue, might be fixed tommorow (see OVH forum)

• marcmmarcm Member

At 10Mbit/s getting data in and out will take forever.

• boerndboernd Member
    edited March 2014

Dropbox which I used before is much slower. At least from my home connection, so hubic is a good alternative. For use as a full backup solution it is not so good.

• marcm said: At 10Mbit/s getting data in and out will take forever.

Anyone tried if it applies also to OVH internal?

• 20142014 Member

Thank You for sharing but not sure :(