Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All of your "LEB improvements" I've already done that - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

All of your "LEB improvements" I've already done that

12346»

Comments

• AdamAdam Member

@Aldryic I just watched a doco about your "real" workplace the other day :P

(We all know your "real job" is unloading the syrup :D)

• Always so much drama on this forum. @taipres I like your site. I especially like how you break down the AUP and provider info, it's quite useful. Alas, you don't always have to be the best to succeed, sometimes just the first. LEB was the first site of its kind (AFAIK), and it would take a lot of effort to coalesce around another site. Doesn't mean it can't happen, and LEB has definitely gotten slow and boring.

• LESLES Member

If you can't get the pie you should be pleased with the crumbs.

• I love you now @netomx.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Decided not to shut it down http://cheapvpsdeals.info/not-the-end-after-all-but-instead-a-new-beginning/. For those of who you don't like me, or the site, you're welcome not to visit it ever again, LEB would be better for you. For everyone else I hope you like the new provider self posts and other updates coming, and thanks for the positive feedback is very much appreciated!

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Why @Boltersdriveer ??? I take more than a compliment for a night :p

• Why not? :3

Thanked by 1netomx
  • dnomdnom Member

@taipres said: -new-beginning

Considering a new domain for your new beginning?

I've never had any "luck"(success) with any of my .info's

• twaintwain Member

Why not use a cheapvpsdeal for your site instead of hostgator for your site about cheapvpsdeals? Also, consider making the top header graphic an href to the homepage.

$ whois cheapvpsdeals.info |grep GATOR
    Name Server:NS2311.HOSTGATOR.COM
    Name Server:NS2312.HOSTGATOR.COM

$ host cheapvpsdeals.info
    cheapvpsdeals.info has address 174.120.242.251
    cheapvpsdeals.info mail is handled by 0 cheapvpsdeals.info.

$ whois 174.120.242.251 |grep ThePlanet
    OrgName: ThePlanet.com Internet Services, Inc.

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited April 2012

twain to be perfectly honest i'm really picky when it comes to VPS's, part of the reason I started the site. My big thing is stability/uptime and most low end VPS's don't have the best track record with that, granted i'm using VPS6 now and they have proven to be stable so far. Prior to that I used VirtualSrv and they went offline with no warning over a week and it took forever to get my files...I use hostgator also because I don't have to worry about ram or haddrive space and because cpanel comes with it and makes things easy. I am considering moving CVD to a VPS though, since Hostgator is taking their sweet time getting IPv6 setup and because i'm friends with current and ex-employees there and I don't like how they treat their workforce.

• CoastercrazeCoastercraze Member
    edited April 2012

Ideas:

Neon coloring and strobe lights and oh yes can't forget the animated images!

• edited April 2012

I'm a litte confused here. How can someone be upset at people for not visiting their site? This doesn't make sense to me in my head..... Am I missing something?

During this tough economy, when customer aren't buying stuff from businesses, and may shops close, you don't see these businesses blaming the customer...

It's always good to go out and create something, it really is. Just don't get upset at people who don't want to use it.

Thanked by 1nabo
  • Ha now your doing the the "I'm so busy" thing, you clearly stole that from LEB.

• @Jonny_Evorack said: I'm a litte confused here. How can someone be upset at people for not visiting their site? This doesn't make sense to me in my head..... Am I missing something?

No.
    Sorry to dissappoint you, this site has some kids, idiots, trolls (me) and other kind of bad guys around.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@raindog308 said: guy closes new site but leaves the door open, waiting for people to beg him to reopen ("I’m going to check the poll below in a few days, and if there’s enough interest for me to continue working on this site I’ll take that under consideration.")

Does the OP have a past in runescape?

Francisco

• twaintwain Member

Looks to be Redford in Jeremiah Johnson

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@taipres said: I use hostgator also because I don't have to worry about ram or haddrive space

Set up a Debian repository mirror on your web space and say that again.

Thanked by 2raindog308 Raymii
  • AmitzAmitz Member

@taipres: Just a warning - As soon as one of my sites became popular, HostGator kicked me faster than light for RAM Usage / Inode usage poopoo. That site is now running on a low-end KVM with a current RAM usage <256 MB. HostGator sucks when your site rocks. ;)

Thanked by 2raindog308 nocom
  • @Amitz said: HostGator kicked me faster than light for RAM Usage / Inode usage poopoo.

This. Keep an eye on inodes in your CP. And yes, they don't like "heavy" processes. On the other hand, they allow shell access and are lax about the storage part of "unlimited", so they work for me.

• AmitzAmitz Member

How much data do you store at peak times there?

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited April 2012

@Amitz I believe the inode(file) max is something like 250k, so sounds like you were really pushing it. As far as ram i've tried to peak it but it hasn't budged much, so i'm guessing it's set pretty high. Granted i'm not delusional and think a shared host wouldn't shut me down if the sites load, particularly the CPU usage became too high. That's why I didn't go with fatcow they basically have all same specs as hostgator, but are a lot cheaper. The sales rep I spoke with was unfortunately really rude and apparently they have some home-brewed control panel that doesn't display any resource usage like cpanel, nor does the company give you any warning that you may be using too many resources, they just shut you down... and the sales rep saw no problem with that.

I may just get a dedi in the future, I plan on adding to http://cheapserverdeals.info sometime this month. I read the original LEA's take on budget dedi's, but I disagree with him in that, even if the specs aren't the best(though i've seen some pretty good ones) the point is you're able to max those specs to the fullest so they're still valuable.

• quirkyquarkquirkyquark Member
    edited April 2012

@Amitz said: How much data do you store at peak times there?

I'd say about 25 GB, peaking around 35. A lot of it has been lying around for a long time (tarballs of old stuff), and hasn't been touched. df shows me exactly how unlimited the disk on my server is (~400GB free when I last checked), so I'm not going to push it just to see what the limit is. That said, I've read on WHT, etc. about how they were OK with someone storing 500+ GB of personal JPGs for a gallery there, but NOT happy about the CPU his php/imagemagick was using to make thumbnails for all of them :-)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited April 2012

A guy on WHT claimed to have had 1.1TB on Dreamhost. He was whining that he was paying $9/mo and was considering moving to a host that only charged $8/mo :-)

• quirkyquarkquirkyquark Member
    edited April 2012

@raindog308 said: 1.1TB on Dreamhost.

ROFL!

I wouldn't be surprised if DH simply threw 2GB standalone "green" drives into servers if they were running out of space. But HG network >>>>> DH network.

• @liamwithers said: I like your work. Shame that you're such a twat. Grow up, control freak.

>

+1

• @liamwithers said: I like your work. Shame that you're such a twat. Grow up, control freak.

@Raymii said: +1

I think the next hobby project I take on, i'll be sure to make money on it...a lot of it, that way when people like you two come along at least we'll all be gaining something, vs just you.