Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Service terminated 9 hours after suspension for overdue payment.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

Service terminated 9 hours after suspension for overdue payment.

DamianDamian Member
edited February 2014 in General

Looks like GVH is doing whatever it can to dump off its poor marketing decisions:

Nine hours? Seriously?

If you've got one of their LET specials, I'd recommend backing up your stuff and migrating it elsewhere.

(edit) And I'm still waiting for the email telling me that their maintenance last night is complete.

«13

Comments

  • I've not used WHMCS in a while, but doesn't it do invoices/overdues/suspensions/terminations all in the same cronjob (which is supposed to be set to once daily)?

  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

    That's the shortest time I've ever seen.
    Should be at least 24 hours to let you wake up if you are on the other side of the planet.

  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

    Is suspension instant upon an invoice being overdue, it is possible to set WHMCS to give 24 hours (or more) before overdue notice and suspension.

    9 hours is harsh but to be fair, it is up to the company how they want to deal with overdue invoices though.

  • Suspension I understand. Termination is ridiculous.

    Thanked by 2Lee MannDude
  • @Dragoon0309 said:
    Suspension I understand. Termination is ridiculous.

    This, I mean sure suspend on non payment but to follow it up so quickly with a termination seems harsh.

  • @AnthonySmith said:
    Is suspension instant upon an invoice being overdue, it is possible to set WHMCS to give 24 hours (or more) before overdue notice and suspension.

    9 hours is harsh but to be fair, it is up to the company how they want to deal with overdue invoices though.

    WHMCS is usually setup with a single cron job for all the billing stuff but nothing stopping a host from having their crontab run it several times a day. In this case GVH have specifically set it to suspend on the same day as first overdue invoice and presumably have another cron job setup to do the termination, see below image as an example of the WHMCS settings.

  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

    @OkieDoke yep, that is probably the case. I agree it is way to harsh, but... not really up to anyone else to tell them how they should be doing it.

    Thanked by 1Wintereise
  • Agreed. I guess the bottom line is they want to make sure people pay on time and keep resources available. No offence @Damian I wasn't saying you deliberately didn't pay lol.

  • another GVH thread :-o
    OMG

  • Not a great way to collect a carried balance.

  • tuguhosttuguhost Member
    edited February 2014

    @HC_Ro said:
    Not a great way to collect a carried balance.

    just wanna inform if your siggy link is broken

  • ztecztec Member
    edited February 2014

    [edit: nvm]

  • It'd be interesting to see what it says in the terms of service about that if anything.

  • Entirely up to GVH how they want to do things, but there are obviously repercussions of having a zero tolerance attitude to late/non-payment for future custom.

    Thanked by 1Noerman
  • @Nekki said:
    Entirely up to GVH how they want to do things, but there are obviously repercussions of having a zero tolerance attitude to late/non-payment for future custom.

    Exactly...

  • tuguhost said: just wanna inform if your siggy link is broken

    Weird, ill fix. Took it off anyways.

  • Even though its up to GVH, i also think it should be atleast 24-48h and not 9hours. Clients can not be online all the time to check their Emails for reminders.

  • PatrickPatrick Member
    edited February 2014

    IxamHosting said: its up to GVH

    /Thread. Though it'd be good for GVH to mention it in there TOS or somewhere. Depending on when they generate the invoice, you most likely had a few days prior to pay in advance or by the due date. It's really entirely up to them how they want to handle there invoicing.

    It's ridiculous to see providers trying to go so low to bash competitors. I'm surprised people keep making GVH threads still or use them altogether (but then knowledgeable members here probably only have one intention by using GVH is to wait for something to happen and make it a big deal to see them hurt).

    Thanked by 2Lee Noerman
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

    IxamHosting said: Even though its up to GVH, i also think it should be atleast 24-48h and not 9hours. Clients can not be online all the time to check their Emails for reminders.

    They send invoice seven days in advance, so clients should have plenty of time to pay it.

  • 1 second overdue prompts a suspension. 24+ hours overdue prompts a termination, although it's usually 48 hours after. That's the way we've always done it.

    This is our Cancellation/Termination Policy as quoted from our Terms of Service:

    If you decide not to pay your invoice on time, GreenValueHost reserves the right at our discretion to suspend or terminate your service(s). A grace period (maximum 7 days) may be offered at our discretion however is not guaranteed. If you require additional time to pay your invoice, you must contact our billing department prior to your due date, otherwise we will not be responsible for the abrupt suspension or termination of your services.

    If you don't pay, you don't receive service. It's as simple as that.

  • dhamaniasaddhamaniasad Member
    edited February 2014

    @GreenValueHost but in this case, it was only 9 hours, not even 24.

    Edit : Just read your TOS, I think it was within your right to terminate it.

  • c0yc0y Member
    edited February 2014

    GreenValueHost said: If you decide not to pay your invoice on time, GreenValueHost reserves the right at our discretion to suspend or terminate your service(s). A grace period (maximum 7 days) may be offered at our discretion however is not guaranteed. If you require additional time to pay your invoice, you must contact our billing department prior to your due date, otherwise we will not be responsible for the abrupt suspension or termination of your services.

    That is legally incorrect, because it implies you could terminate someone for just deciding on not paying but in reality still paying it. Please, don't try write your own ToS if you can't objectively read text intended to be read as "legalspeak"..

  • Whichever way you want to look at it one thing is clear. Pay your bill on time! Don't wait for overdue emails as your guide.

  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2014

    @W1V_Lee said:
    Whichever way you want to look at it one thing is clear. Pay your bill on time! Don't wait for overdue emails as your guide.

    >

    This

  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

    c0y said: That is legally incorrect, because it implies you could terminate someone for just deciding on not paying but in reality still paying it. Please, don't try write your own ToS if you can't objectively read text intended to be read as "legalspeak"..

    That is his comment in LET thread, not his terms of service?

  • @perennate said:
    That is his comment in LET thread, not his terms of service?

    He's quoting it from his TOS, so yeah, that is his TOS.

  • agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

    @W1V_Lee said:
    Whichever way you want to look at it one thing is clear. Pay your bill on time! Don't wait for overdue emails as your guide.

    Agree 100% pay on time, and if you're going to be late, let them know.

  • shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2014

    "Suspension Reason: Overdue on Payment - Pending Termination within 24 hrs if not paid"

    I got that too. I'm not going to bother renewing but they don't even wait a few days. What if the place i live gets flooded, has a tornado and a hurricane at the same time, then has an earthquake? My VPS will be terminated which would be my biggest concern.

  • rds100rds100 Member
    edited February 2014

    Forget tornadoes and earthquakes. Weekends happen far more often. I wouldn't terminate someone for non payment on a weekend (or on a Monday early morning).

    Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • God forbid we'd take personal responsibility for problems resulting from our own actions. It's much easier to complain about policies we failed to read and understand.

    @shovenose: What if the place i live gets flooded, has a tornado and a hurricane at the same time, then has an earthquake?

    The same thing that will happen to all of your other adult responsibilities when you fail to fulfill them. I would hope a person living in a place subject to such violent, unpredictable weather would be intelligent enough to use auto-pay for critical bills.

Sign In or Register to comment.