Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LET Signature Rules - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LET Signature Rules

Comments

• NickMNickM Member

@subigo, there is an option to disable them completely, so you don't have to see them...

Thanked by 1ElliotJ
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

I usually read this forum on my phone so I never see the signatures unless I accieently click 'view full site'

good enough for me

• @raindog308 said: Then...ah...why do you have one here? :-)

Because why the hell not? I might as well spam my site too, right?

@nabo said: So why don't you start by disabling your own signature here then?

See above. It's not like disabling my own signature is going to keep me from seeing all of the others.

@NickM said: there is an option to disable them completely, so you don't have to see them...

The majority of the time I'm not logged in when browsing this forum, so that's not an option.

• @subigo said: It's not like disabling my own signature is going to keep me from seeing all of the others.

The first checkbox disables -all- signatures.

• @Aldryic said: It's not like disabling my own signature is going to keep me from seeing all of the others.

From the same comment you just quoted: "The majority of the time I'm not logged in when browsing this forum, so that's not an option."

• True enough, thanks for pointing that out. However, nothing stopping you from logging in and resolving the issue.

• @Aldryic said: True enough, thanks for pointing that out. However, nothing stopping you from logging in and resolving the issue.

Yep, but it's still a pain in the ass. I'm just saying I hate signatures on forums. Forums are the lowest common denominator of online communication. Can you imagine places like IRC, slashdot, reddit, facebook, newsgroups, IM, etc... if they allowed signatures.

ZENSIX HOSTING - TOTALLY AWESOME HOSTING - SO AWESOME - YEEEEAH

Spamming your site after every comment you make at any of those places would be considered annoying as hell and you'd most likely get banned. Like someone else in this forum pointed out, it looks like Google Ads are plastered after every single comment.

YOU WANT ZENSIX HOSTING? TOO BAD. NO SPOTS FOR YOU!

It's just a pet peeve of mine. Why introduce spam into a line of conversation? That's what public profiles are for.

• quirkyquarkquirkyquark Member
    edited April 2012

@subigo: your opinion is well taken--and I happen to agree for some kinds of forums--but isn't it easier to roll your own solution instead of wishing for the site to cater to different browsing habits? If you can't/won't login, use a greasemonkey script OR send a mobile user-agent OR filter it through privoxy on a zen6 vps....the options are endless. Unless you're on the run, checking in from whatever cafe/safe house is available :p (in which case, too bad, naughty naughty, just bear with the sigs :D)

• AldryicAldryic Member
    edited April 2012

Seeing as how he himself uses a signature to link to an external site, "why not everyone else is", I feel more inclined to simply dismiss his reasonings. Must not really be that bad of a peeve if it doesn't stop you from indulging in the same.

• ^^^^^ What @Aldryic said. Glass houses, stones, etc.

• @subigo said: I hate signatures on all forums.

@subigo said: I'm just saying I hate signatures on forums.

@subigo said: It's just a pet peeve of mine. Why introduce spam into a line of conversation?

So, out of curiosity. If the above is all true, how do you explain Here and Here? You clearly don't have a problem using signatures for yourself in other places. It also looks like that second link earned you a mod warning for advertisement....

@subigo said: Like someone else in this forum pointed out, it looks like Google Ads are plastered after every single comment.

Hypocrisy is an ugly mask to wear, friend.

• @Aldryic said: Seeing as how he himself uses a signature to link to an external site, "why not everyone else is", I feel more inclined to simply dismiss his reasonings. Must not really be that bad of a peeve if it doesn't stop you from indulging in the same.

Yeah. Removing my signature is going to start a new craze of signature-less forums.

If it's allowed and every other host does it, it would make sense that I do it too. Otherwise I'm not doing a very good job of using that available space for marketing. BUT - that doesn't mean I don't hate seeing signatures all over forums. I would PREFER that forums didn't have the option.

In short: It makes business sense to have a signature. But as a personal preference, it's annoying as hell to see them everywhere.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@subigo said: It makes business sense to have a signature

Don't complain about it then.

• @subigo: if you REALLY preferred it that way, can logging in really be that much of a "pain in the ass"?!

• @Infinity said: Don't complain about it then.

I'll complain about anything I want to complain about. Especially in a thread that asks what people think about them.

• @Aldryic said: Hypocrisy is an ugly mask to wear, friend.

Wasn't this thread started because you told someone they shouldn't use an image in their signature?

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@subigo said: I'll complain about anything I want to complain about. Especially in a thread that asks what people think about them.

Fair enough, my choice of words may have been of bad taste, it's just you contradict yourself. Either way, I'm not in here to start an argument :)

• Don't worry about my new signature guys. If you don't like it, you can easily log in and change your settings. AMIRITE?

• @subigo said: Wasn't this thread started because you told someone they shouldn't use an image in their signature?

No, it was started because the OP wanted to clarify what was and wasn't acceptable by community standards. A responsible action that shows he's not just here to advertise, but to take part in the community with the rest of us.

• @subigo said: Wasn't this thread started because you told someone they shouldn't use an image in their signature?

If you're seeing images in his signature you must need to get your eyes checked.

And since I just got on a full browser, your (recent?) sig-image burns my eyes. IMO that antic is basically flipping the bird to all of us.

• "I DONT WANT TO EAT MY VEGGIES BEFORE GETTING DESSERT" is the feeling I get from it -_-;

• quirkyquarkquirkyquark Member
    edited April 2012

@subigo said: Don't worry about my new signature guys. If you don't like it, you can easily log in and change your settings. AMIRITE?

127.0.0.1 zensix.com

Wait, that didn't get rid of my problem but does it make me feel all morally superior and smug? You bet it does...

And instead of whining, I did something about it and adblocked your sig.

• Getting back on topic, my personal opinion is that this is not WHT, signatures seem to be 1 line with no images. With no rules set in stone it would make sense to follow the norm.

Only now are we seeing images on sigs, with the way Vanilla formats the posts it seems to make it look like a google ads page to me.

It does stand out, but not in a good way.

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

One or two lines and no images is best in my opinion. The beauty of this forum is how fast everything is. If everyone started clogging it up with fancy signatures we may as well just have another VB forum. ;-)

• DamianDamian Member
    edited April 2012

@quirkyquark said: is basically flipping the bird to all of us.

I actually thought the OP was doing the same thing when he originally posted his "HEY I DON'T REALLY PARTICIPATE IN THESE FORUMS EVER SO I'M GOING TO DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT THAT ANNOYS QUITE A FEW PEOPLE THEN DEMAND THAT THE COMMUNITY HAVE A DISCUSSION ABOUT IT" post there at the beginning.

• @kbar said: just think about how you would do your email signatures.

sure

Thanked by 2tommy Akira
  • QUALITY,

That reads like a children picture book.

That is one way to make a valid observation to the OP, few more colours next time, not quite so garish enough :P

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

I'd vote for one line of text.... if this was a vote.... :)

• Hi Everyone,

I've taken everyones comments into consideration. As such, I've decided to remove the image from my signature, and also reduced the text to make it fit into one line. Thank you to everyone who posted constructive comments regarding this issue.

I wasn't trying to start a war or anything, but was merely trying to get feedback from the community to see what everyone would be happy with :)

Cheers,

Jonny
    Evorack

• @Jonny_Evorack said: I wasn't trying to start a war or anything, but was merely trying to get feedback from the community to see what everyone would be happy with :)

Don't take them personally, you did the right thing by getting community opinion. Just ignore the naysayers that like to "constructively criticize" without actually being constructive, and you'll find we're not a bad bunch to hang around :P

Thanked by 2raindog308 Infinity