Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LET Signature Rules
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LET Signature Rules

edited April 2012 in General

Hi Everyone,

@Aldryic pointed out to me in another discussion that LET has an "unspoken rule" that all signatures must not have images in them.

If the community in general has an issue with me putting Evorack's logo in my signature, then I will of course remove it :)

However, a good point has been brought up: What are the rules for signatures? Are images allowed? What does the community tolerate?

Any comments on the logo in my signature are appreciated, as well as images in signatures in general (on LET).

Thanks

Jonny

Comments

• Well, I don't mind.

i think little images are ok, but large ones are a no no no. and no animated ones either.

Thanked by 2Asim tux
  • @Jonny_Evorack: @Aldryic sometimes believe he's an administrator here.

I don't mind either.

@Daniel look at your PMs please.

• I'll vote "thumbs down" on signatures longer than one line, too.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2012

I think signatures should be text only and a small image used for the avatar.

• @Damian said: I'll vote "thumbs down" on signatures longer than one line, too.

Me too. Let's keep the razzle-dazzle to our WHT sigs...

Thanked by 1ipxadam
  • kendidkendid Veteran

Gotta agree -- one line signatures (or at least text-only) is my preference...

• @Damian said: I'll vote "thumbs down" on signatures longer than one line, too.

I'd vote the same.
    Huge signatures just makes it look like a self-promotion board.

• @OneTwo said: @Aldryic sometimes believe he's an administrator here.

Awww, so cute, are you still mad? :3 Good to know that I can easily sheep you into forming an opinion simply by letting you believe I support the opposite :P

@Jonny_Evorack said: However, a good point has been brought up: What are the rules for signatures? Are images allowed? What does the community tolerate?

I don't think there ever were set rules. Simple one-liners with minor HTML just tend to be the norm around here, I'd like to hear the moderators input as well - @Chief @vedran @breton @Infinity

• flyfly Member
    edited April 2012

i dont see a problem with having two lines of text. but yeah, for some reason on vanilla it looks like you have a blank line above it so its really ugly.
    it's when there's 3+ lines of text and/or pictures involved, that's when it gets bad.

just think about how you would do your email signatures.

• @Aldryic said: Good to know that I can easily sheep you into forming an opinion simply by letting you believe I support the opposite :P

??!!

• @kbar said: just think about how you would do your email signatures.

One of mine includes 6 lines worth of corporate directory info, plus a disclaimer after that =\ Bugs the hell out of me.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

I'd personally look down on anymore with more than one line in their signature since it just disrupts the flow of stuff and it looks ugly, as for images, as long as they're not large and aren't those annoying GIF's and with all those bright colours. Yes, I'm very picky. I've seen @liam playing around with userbars, I personally think that's alright since it is sort of equivalent to the height a line of text would be.

LowEndTalk isn't about rules, do's and don'ts, it's more community based, we're not WHT.

@Jonny_Evorack Personally, I don't think your signature is neat, the image makes it look out of place, and the "features" list just doesn't need to be in the signature, sure put it in your offers but the point of the signature isn't to market you're company rather just to raise awareness and for ease of use etc.

Thanked by 2Damian ElliotJ
  • @Aldryic said: I don't think there ever were set rules. Simple one-liners with minor HTML just tend to be the norm around here,

Indeed, when I first started coming around here, I happened to notice that no one used images in their signatures, and were quite terse. So I followed suit. Didn't even need to open a discussion about it.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • Your signature is a little much and if its allowed I bet we'd see some stupid dancing pony signatures or some other nonsense.

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

Yeahh... before @Aldryic even mentioned it, I thought your sig was a bit fat and ugly.. fair play, new site, new design etc. and yes, I do like your logo.. but might as well just follow the trend round here and use your reputation as marketing, not a signature :)

• @Infinity said: I've seen @liam playing around with userbars,

That seems to me like it'd be a pretty acceptable alternative, so long as the colouring didn't jar with the site's theme.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • nabonabo Member

Well, back in time when LET was manages by LEA users that had images in their sig got it removed by LEA.

• @Damian said: I happened to notice that no one used images in their signatures, and were quite terse. So I followed suit. Didn't even need to open a discussion about it.

+1. Go with the flow. Don't upset the boat. Do unto others.... Help! I'm running out of idioms...

• flyfly Member

the one/two liner feature list isn't bad. images = bad.

• gsxgsx Member

This community does not really have any rules. Someone should create a rule thread...

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2012

@gsx said: This community does not really have any rules. Someone should create a rule thread...

I don't think anyone here wants LET to end up like WHT. I don't think many people want rule based communities here, I certainly don't.

• @gsx said: This community does not really have any rules. Someone should create a rule thread...

It didn't, now it does.

LEA didn't really really ban anyone other then spammers before, now people are being banned for saying a single naughty word

• NickMNickM Member

@Jonny_Evorack, personally, I would be okay with an image in your signature, as long as it's the height of your current signature, no GIFs, and has nothing below it. Float all of the text to the right of the image (and cut it down to 2 lines) and I would approve of it.

• RophRoph Member

In case anyone wasn't aware, you can remove images from people's sigs from your account settings :)

Thanked by 3Aldryic NickM yomero
  • flyfly Member

yeah i have images disabled so i didn't see what everyone was talking about lol

• Good catch, @Roph

• Keep thinking i'm on a forum with google ads between the posts

• I hate signatures on all forums. I'd like to see them disabled here...but that'll never happen, because the majority of people posting are hosts and they'll cry about it.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@subigo said: I hate signatures on all forums.

Then...ah...why do you have one here? :-)

• nabonabo Member

@subigo said: I hate signatures on all forums. I'd like to see them disabled here

bild

So why don't you start by disabling your own signature here then?