Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Webspace for 10 Years - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Webspace for 10 Years

13»

Comments

• @Infinity580 said:
    Hi,

I am looking for a provider for webspace arround 50MB and some traffic like 5gig prepaid for 10 Years.
    The Provider itself should exist since 3 Years+
    Please take it seriously

Our company named Ultranet Telecom is 7 year old and we are planning stay for a long time. what kind of deal are you looking??

• kerouackerouac Member
    edited March 2014

SDF uses DEC Alphas and AMD Opterons running NetBSD, TOPS-20 and Symbolics GENERA

DEC Alphas

DEC Alpha

DEC Alpha

DEC Alpha

• Where's the love for DEC Alphas @keroauc? :). Awesome machines...sure they're old now but the engineering/design is solid

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Could have been DEC VAX. Oh those years... ;-)

• craigbcraigb Member
    edited March 2014

Precisely @rds100...the jump from admin'ing a VAX 5250 whether running DEC Ultrix or VAX VMS to a DEC Alpha was an "OMG" moment ;)

And yes, I'm showing my age now :)

• @Devil said:
    As you are an old timer there, can I please ask you few questions:
    private 'arpa' member server : What does it mean?
    Basic VoIP access (internet only, no PSTN access) : Again, couldn't get it. Then they also mention: "Twitter (ttytter), SDF VoIP (non-PSTN), Voicemail and conferencing"
    UUCP mail and USENET / ClariNET newsfeed via dialup or TCP : What is the bandwidth limit?

'arpa' level membership is a regular ssh shell account, with usual basic network utilities (ftp, dns tools), on 600mb space allocated in 150mb each for: home, web files, mail and ...gopher files(!). To change the space allocation a yearly 20$ 'tweak' fee is required.
    That's my setting for years: lifetime 'arpa' member and very often the 20$ 'tweak'.
    Private 'arpa' members server simply means 'arpa' accounts are on a separate dedicated server.
    ttytter is a twitter text-only client: http://www.floodgap.com/software/ttytter/

I have never used any other settings, but the VoIP information they provide, seems transparent to me, as a linux/unix user: your can use VoIP on your SDF account, so to talk with people using any kind of SIP supported software. But as a client I never saw the point, because one must carry the audio over the ssh connection to the SDF box.
    UUCP is no longer used for email, it's a remain from the late 80's and the 90's. Yet the uuclient command ships with all linux/bsd, so you can use that to poll mail from a remote box (like SDF). I always used IMAP or the web interface to get my freeshell.org mail, they have been using squirrelmail since long, and now also roundcubemail.

• @craigb said:
    abravo another question about sdf...what's the difference between sdf-eu and sdf....beyond the regional focus and hosting location (looks like hetzner). I thought there might be some privacy differences but struggling to find much about privacy (which surprises me for a multi-user environment). Not criticising it, interested in signing-up...

you're right, there must be privacy differences, as Germany has a slightly different legal framework than the USA, but yes no mentions about it. I guess they didn't think much about it, just wanted to have a server in Europe.
    I'm in Europe but my account is on one of their american box. One of the advantages I found with SDF was the possibility of a stable backup email address. Free mail providers are mostly corporations that come and go, merge and sink, disable accounts after some time of inactivity, change important settings, etc. SDF is just there, stable, not flooded by the masses because its CLI focus.

Thanked by 1craigb