Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Webspace for 10 Years - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Webspace for 10 Years

Comments

• edited February 2014

If it's static content, consider using Github pages :-)

Edit: I forgot to mention https://github.com/joyent/node/wiki/node-hosting - some pretty good providers which provide a free (for publicity probably ;-) package which is likely to stay because it's backed by the paid users in the end.

• @kijin said:
    Maybe get a lifetime account at SDF.org? It costs something like $36. They've been around like since the beginning of the Internet, so they're not likely to disappear anytime soon.

+1
    for $36 one-time, the "ARPA" life account, offers 150 mb for email, 150 mb web folder.
    I have an account on SDF since the 90's. And SDF has indeed been running for more than 25 years now. Older than many people here. It runs on NetBSD, by enthusiasts. 90% to 100% of low end hosts here will be dead in 10 years (most in 3 to 5 years) , but SDF will still be on.

Thanked by 1kerouac
  • Dreamhost have been around for a long while. I can't see them going anywhere.

• sdf.org looks interesting but does it meet OPs needs re: bring his own domain name?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

"(over 50 domains to choose from) " i would say no

Thanked by 1kerouac
  • I hope you are not planning to commit suicide and that this domain will be all that is left of you...

edited February 2014

@Amitz No because i like the living.

• @craigb said:
    sdf.org looks interesting but does it meet OPs needs re: bring his own domain name?

yes, but as you ask I don't recall if it's part of the $36 lifetime fee, or an extra/different annual fee. There's a FAQ somewhere on sdf.org

Please only offers, not just i give you 1gig Webspace for 10$ per Year so it cost 100$.
    I only need minimum 50MB of Webspace.

• host in on dropbox free account and pray they are around for next 10 years

• CharlesACharlesA Member
    edited February 2014

Man, I thought I was nuts going year-to-year with my hosting even though my domain is going to be around for a long while. It expires in 2018 and I registered it in 2010.

I've used a shared host before and prepaid for 3 years, but say you prepay for 10 years and then that host's service goes to hell and you want to switch to a different one. You just lost money.

• Given google's history of shutting down services that are not their core business i would recommend against using dropbox for anything longterm.

• who is your domain registrar.? If it's godaddy they have like free 1 page hosting.

Atm Crazydomains, but today it will be transfered to NameCheap for cheap.

• abravo said: There's a FAQ somewhere on sdf.org

Quoted from their terminal:

ARPA members have immediate access to:

600mb total / 20000 files in four areas
     access to multiple subdomains                              (mkhomepg -a)
     voting priviledges on new system features                  (vote)
     telnet, ssh, ytalk, irc, irssi (non-proxy)
     wget, snarf, ftp, scp
     gcc, perl, php, python, ruby, et cetera
     Mail and USENET news via UUCP
     SDF VoIP Basic Telephony Service
     (type 'software arpa' for a complete list of programs)
     access to join VHOST, DNS, VPM, DBA, TWEAK & MetaARPA membership levels

You too can become a LIFETIME member of the ARPA group by sending a
    ONE TIME contribution of $36 (or more!) to SDF.  NON-US Residents can join
    ARPA by sending the amount via International Money Order, cash (US/EURO) or
    by PAYPAL.  Be sure to include your user id of '***'

LAND                       INTERNET (donations of $3.00 or more)
     -----------------------------------------------------------------
    |  SDF Public Access UNIX  |  PAYPAL.COM:   [email protected]  |
    |  PO BOX 17355            |                                      |
    |  SEATTLE WA 98127 USA    |  (Be sure to include your user id)   |
     -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Acceptable funds:  Western Union, Cheques, Money Orders, US, CDN, EURO, UK, YEN

• im only 9 years

Creation Date: 2004-12-06 03:58:13

• rds100 said: Given google's history of shutting down services that are not their core business i would recommend against using dropbox for anything longterm.

Did I miss the announcement of Google acquiring Dropbox, Inc or are you from the future?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • ViennaVienna Member
    edited February 2014

That's a rather strange request. The only plausible use I could imagine right now would be some sort of a tombstone/legacy site if someone were about to disappear for a long time or even forever (physically or virtually) and hence knows that he won't be able to switch the domain to another hoster in case of problems. And even if that were the case, why not just give the money to somebody you trust and ask to effect the annual payments as long as everything works and to switch to another host in case there is a problem, instead of putting so much faith in a hoster you don't even know? Why would anyone pay more than necessary while giving up flexibility and increasing risk at the same time?

I've been hosting select clients for way over a decade now and most of the first ones are still there, but nobody ever asked for something like that, not even the really predictable boring businesses that had been around almost unchanged for half a century. Even if I were offering to the general public I wouldn't respond to such a request out fear that it might be a somewhat "problematic" site that might cause me some very serious trouble one day.

Maybe it would be easier for you to get what you want if you just explain what it is and why you don't want to do it the normal, cheaper and safer way...

What would be in Years in your opinion ok?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Dhost.info xD

• @netomx said:
    Dhost.info xD

Signup is currently closed

• onepoundonepound Member
    edited February 2014

I can do this if you really want as a custom plan:

On cpanel or directadmin

100mb disk

5GB B/W

£15 (£1.50 /year)

Open a support ticket if interested.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Infinity580 said:
    Hi,

Please take it seriously

That's hard to do.

Sign up for any of a bajillion 1-year or 3-year plans. Renew it. What is the big deal?

Or are you hoping for some amazing deal because you prepay for 10 years? sheesh.

• You could sign up for a yearly deal, and then prepay enough into the account to cover the renewals for however long you want.

Otherwise, you could use a free service like blogger or wordpress.com.

• DevilDevil Member

@abravo said:
    I have an account on SDF since the 90's. And SDF has indeed been running for more than 25 years now.

Hey, I am planning to get the lifetime membership. Just to have one permanent Linux box sitting there with basic feature which I would occasionally like to access. Though it sure seems more than basic features.

As you are an old timer there, can I please ask you few questions:

• private 'arpa' member server : What does it mean?
    • Basic VoIP access (internet only, no PSTN access) : Again, couldn't get it. Then they also mention: "Twitter (ttytter), SDF VoIP (non-PSTN), Voicemail and conferencing"
    • UUCP mail and USENET / ClariNET newsfeed via dialup or TCP : What is the bandwidth limit?
  • @abravo another question about sdf...what's the difference between sdf-eu and sdf....beyond the regional focus and hosting location (looks like hetzner). I thought there might be some privacy differences but struggling to find much about privacy (which surprises me for a multi-user environment). Not criticising it, interested in signing-up...

• As most already said I wouldnt go for 10 year contract either.

That said, considering the requirements I would suggest http://www.tera-byte.com/eb.php.

They have been around for close to 20 years. Something like 10 years ago I hosted with them and they provided a solid service. They also have their own data center.

• go with amazon

• colmcolm Member

Something that might work depending on the website you have in mind is www.nearlyfreespeech.net. They've been around for over 10 years.

I added US$10 six years ago and still have some credit, averages to about US$1.00 per year for a low usage website.

• @Infinity580 said:
    Hi,

I am looking for a provider for webspace arround 50MB and some traffic like 5gig prepaid for 10 Years.
    The Provider itself should exist since 3 Years+
    Please take it seriously

If you still need this please send me a PM, I've got a few servers that I intend on keeping for a few years (their with reputable providers). I'd be happy to provide some space for you.