Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unbeatable Ramnode - So Much Happy :) - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Unbeatable Ramnode - So Much Happy :)

Comments

• AnthonySmith said: Sequential io has NOTHING to do with real world performance

That's right but it has to do a lot with marketing. The bigger number the better. From what I heard some popular hosts optimize nodes specifically to show higher sequential IO throughput speed rates and stupid LEB crowd fall for that.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 2014

@Heinz said:

I do not know about special optimization but caches bigger than 1 GB on the raid controller could be used because the "test" is run usually with 1 GB files.
    Challenge: Do the "test" with 1 GB and with 2 and 3 see if there is some difference.

d if=/dev/zero of=iotest bs=64k count=8k conv=fdatasync && rm -rf iotest
    8192+0 records in
    8192+0 records out
    536870912 bytes (537 MB) copied, 0.443235 s, 1.2 GB/s

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2014

@Heinz agreed, it pains me to see people being willingly sucked in is all and then other hosts come along for an e-penis contest to say that their NV cache is faster than someone else's SSD Cache.

Based on the constant ramnode quality and variation I would suggest they have sequential IO disabled on their cache which is A++ and thumbs up, gg! and all that, sadly not the case for all hosts.

I think a new test standard is needed, will try to work something out.

# dd if=/dev/zero of=iotest bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync && rm -rf iotest
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 0.608351 s, 1.8 GB/s

did I win?

Thanked by 2darkshire mpkossen
  • Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Maounique said: Ask Erawan, we had 1.9, nobody beat that yet. Of course, that is irrelevant, no disk will do that in reality, it is only the cache being hit.

I'm not sure why you invaded this topic to make it RamNode vs Prometeus, but if we need to make it a competition for some reason:

http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2014/01/04/ytvl7PgUVN9pG7wu

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@Nick_A agreed sadly that is always the way.

Interestingly look what I get with running Mao's previous test from /dev/shm: (Ram for those that dont know)

dd if=/dev/zero of=iotest bs=64k count=8k conv=fdatasync && rm -rf iotest
    8192+0 records in
    8192+0 records out
    536870912 bytes (537 MB) copied, 0.443235 s, 1.2 GB/s

Interesting comparison :)

@dhamaniasad said:
    Wow, where's that?

I don't remember the node, probably a new one at the time. One of our Atlanta users.

• Nick_A said: I don't remember the node, probably a new one at the time. One of our Atlanta users.

Pure SSD or SSD-cached?

Pure

Thanked by 1dhamaniasad
  • @Nick_A said:
    I'm not sure why you invaded this topic to make it RamNode vs Prometeus

@Maounique simply can't agree how great is RamNode!

• @AnthonySmith @Maounique very interested to know a good disk benchmark alternative to dd. is ioping enough?

• fio and bonnie++ work well.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • @alexvolk said:

@Maounique simply can't agree how great is RamNode!

In my opinion, he just explained why all these 'dd tests' battles looks silly...

Thanked by 20xdragon Maounique
  • I'm also a happy user of RamNode, Its very fast. Recently I have move to init but i'm not happy with downtime.

Nick_A said: I'm not sure why you invaded this topic to make it RamNode vs Prometeus,

Please read above. I was amending the statement of Anthony that nobody can compete in terms of sequential writing.
    Further down I say this is a silly competition with no actual good coming to anyone except a few kids that dont know how disks, arrays, SSD and caches work.
    1. The providers (those that choose to participate) invest much more than needed for top performance;
    2. The customers pay for something they dont need.

Without any tweaks we managed 1.9 on a half empty node. It is not that nobody can compete.

My point stands. Why are you here to make this RamNode vs Prometeus? If it doesn't do any good, kindly leave this thread alone :) As it is, you come across as just seeking attention.

• RamNode vs Prometeus

GETS MY POPCORN

p.s= RamNODER here :p

• Honestly, who cares? I know that there are many providers offering what Ramnode and Prometeus both offer, and they're both stellar providers. I use both of your services.

So STFU, it's not a war here, both of you :P

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • belinikbelinik Member
    edited January 2014

found this thread and got curious on ramnode's 128mb seattle vps

root@sea:~# uptime
    19:13:42 up 199 days, 19:17, 1 user, load average: 0.06, 0.02, 0.00
    root@sea:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=iotest bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync && rm -rf iotest
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 1.38841 s, 773 MB/s

No longer has the Prometeus vps but uptime was excellent also! Would recommend those 2 without hesitation.

edited January 2014

@Nick_A said:
    My point stands. Why are you here to make this RamNode vs Prometeus? If it doesn't do any good, kindly leave this thread alone :) As it is, you come across as just seeking attention.

Again I did not reply you, but to Anthony who stated that nobody CAN compete with Ramnode sequential writing. That is wrong, there are providers which CAN compete, not many that would, but I also raised the point that I raised in other places too that this "test" is largely irrelevant.

From what I know this is not your thread (unless ironhide works for you), you have no right to tell me to go, which was also valid even if it was your thread (except offers threads, of course).
    Please dont get defensive, it is nothing against you, Prometeus DOES NOT compete in the "dd test", never did, even if our SAN storage can do 700 MB/s after recent upgrades which are still ongoing, that is not the goal, the goal is low io wait and high IOPS count. There are still things to improve there.

• zimbozimbo Member
    edited January 2014

Maounique said: From what I know this is not your thread

This is the happy ramnode customers' thread.

"Trolling is a game ......, albeit one that is played without the consent of most of the players."

• Agree with Maonique, we need a new test. I was using H1F and even that was fine for what I was using it for with transfer ranging from 5-35MB/s, so we don't need all that high disk performance TBH. I would prefer lower prices :-)

Thanked by 1darkshire

@Maounique Why are you begging for attention here still? Why are you so uptight? If all you want to do is prove a point about DD, go make a thread about it. Derailing a friendly review thread about another provider is bad taste to say the least.

• @Maounique I don't know why you took offense at customers praising a company they like. Be a bigger man, let praise be given where praise is due even if it's not all literally correct down to the dot. RamNode promises performance, delivers it, and customers love it for that plus everything else. I don't think customers expect Nick to operate near-empty nodes that are constantly capable of running 2.0GB/sec dd. I've seen my SSD node slow down to ~500-600MB/sec plenty of times but my page loads tell me actual server load is small enough for performance deviation to be more than acceptable.

When CVPS launched their PureSSD line on E1270s and had better dd speeds than RamNode, I didn't toss out my RamNode for CVPS. In fact, I tossed out the CVPS service and kept my RamNodes because actual page loads were still faster under Nick's management, on a full node. So, RamNode's really not just about dd.

Great performance is a given, so now I look for everything else that might go wrong.
    Slow support? Nope. Outstanding no-nonsense support is a given.
    Shady business tactics? Nah.
    Lazy owner? Hell no. FAQ gets updates, DDoS filtering was added, new routing improvements, new hardware with more space... One look at @NodeStatus on twitter and you know the RamNode team's serious about what they do.

So far the only time I've seen Nick get worked up is when someone wields stupidity as a weapon to bash his brand. I'm gonna make an educated guess that he's mostly too busy taking care of his company and family to go around measuring e-peens the way lots of others do. That's a plus as well.

• No one here can compete ramnode in terms of uptime and network using them for 3 month never faced any downtime and network speed is always fast.

• @instatech said:
    No one here can compete ramnode in terms of uptime and network using them for 3

month never faced any downtime and network speed is always fast.

So you've been with ramnode for 3 months and your saying nobody else can beat 90 days uptime ?

• RamNode++;

• @instatech said:
    No one here can compete ramnode in terms of uptime and network using them for 3 month never faced any downtime and network speed is always fast.

RamNode having a nice uptime, so you might need to stay longer :)

--

Since this thread is about RamNode, I will not make any comment about another provider :)

• I will stay with ramnode for long time.:)

edited January 2014

@Mitsuhashi said:
    Maounique I don't know why you took offense at customers praising a company they like.

Here we have another proud member of the TL;DR crowd which writes long posts about something they didnt read.

I was not talking about happy customers praising whatever they wish, I was not even talking to Nick_A, even tho he begs for my attention lately, I was replying Anthony. If you care to read what I say, you will see it has nothing to do with happy customers, only with their method to measure something and also about nobody else being able to "compete" in the dd "test". That is all, the rest of your rant is irrelevant.