Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An apology to the LET community, a plead for forgiveness, and a start of a new beginning. - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

An apology to the LET community, a plead for forgiveness, and a start of a new beginning.

Comments

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

said: I truly, truly love the hosting industry

Tough love

• Let we all see the future and learn together from this session, no one perfect but how to be a perfect its more interesting to put some value from this situation

• @jarland said:
    I swear some people like to bitch just to hear their own voice.

Is this not the definition of the "LE* disease" ?

• @jarland said:
    Chill out bro. When someone from America says "Indian staff" we (Americans) all know what it means and pretending that you don't doesn't make you some kind of saint. Grow a pair and stop seeing racism behind everything...that's racist in itself. I swear some people like to bitch just to hear their own voice.

This old vid is so racist. ban it

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

concerto49 said: If you put in context it does. Amercian staff would be too. Is there a point in saying we have American staff AND Indian staff? Staff is staff. Is there a need to mention the country?

Yes because it means "staff in India" and the perception of staff residing in that country is overwhelmingly negative.

Let me put it another way: the only reason people choose Indian staff (as in "residing in India") is because they're cheaper. Better is generally not available for cheaper.

Let me put it another way - I work with many Indians on a daily basis, on my team at work, etc. The Indians residing in the US are generally high-quality contributors. The Indians in India I deal with for help desk, when I call for support on some consumer product, etc. are not.

Race has nothing to do with it - it's about residency.

concerto49 said: Does it matter? When you isolate and single out staff groups by race, it is racist.

You're assuming isolation by race. I'm assuming isolation by country of residence.

And @jarland pretty much nailed it.

Thanked by 1jar
  • Good morning.

• Good afternoon.

• Good Evening. Fuck, 1:30, Good Morning.

• Good morning. Although haven't slept.

• kyaky said: This old vid is so racist. ban it

Thanked by 3darkshire typh0n Neoon
  • When it comes to race, I prefer Le Mans or Grand Prix :P

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • Another apology and a fresh start, seen so many times on LET. I hope it works out this time.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • Extended soliloquy from a guy who terminates customers for not talking Oxford English. And replies to customer support request for network issues with a single line "You've got an unmanaged service", and redefined the term "helpdesk abuse".

All I see are words without depth. Prove it.

• said: The profile picture posted in that previous thread that is being circulated is a picture that was taken from my Facebook profile in 2013 that I posted at the early age of 15.

Not to be a dick, but if you were 15 in March 2013, that must mean you're either still 15 or 16. Can't really be saying it was an early age if you're still that age or a year older.

• iwaswrongonceiwaswrongonce Member
    edited January 2014

@jkr1711 said: Not to be a dick, but if you were 15 in March 2013, that must mean you're either still 15 or 16. Can't really be saying it was an early age if you're still that age or a year older.

Not a GVH customer but even in his apology he mentions his age almost arrogantly...the "early" age of 15. Yeah most 15 year olds aren't starting companies, and normally I'm super supportive of the ones that are.

But kid, stop walking around like because you're young that makes you different. If anything it means you have more to prove. I started a company at 16 and by month 7 hit seven figure revenues. I didn't expect it, but it forced me to grow up quickly. I'm 24 now and on to bigger and better things. But I was never a dick about it. I had humility. From someone who's been there, god forbid you actually get some momentum and put yourself at risk of screwing up something valuable.

And that's not even to mention the 17 year old kid who sold his startup to Yahoo for $30m. Jobs, Gates, Zuckerberg, etc. You're not the first, nor the last, entrepreneurial youngster.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Don't bash kids for owning a hosting company. Many let users are 15-17 and have a very successful business.

Thanked by 1jkr1711
  • @AlexanderM said:
    Don't bash kids for owning a hosting company. Many let users are 15-17 and have a very successful business.

I'm not, I just find the way he's trying to cover up the fact that he's 15/16. I have no problem with responsible <18s running proper companies.

• iwaswrongonce said: Not a GVH customer but even in his apology he mentions his age almost arrogantly...the "early" age of 15.

I couldn't agree more. He's giving a "bad name" to 15 year olds, or trying to. :P

• What's the legal age to register a limited liability business in the US? In the UK it's 16 which is why I see quite a few UK based companies here (only assuming though as they don't explicitly reveal their ages).

• @AlexanderM said:

Not sure who you're replying to here, but I said the opposite. As someone who has been there, I was actually giving him advice. It's not bashing kids, it's bashing immaturity and arrogance, which unfortunately run rampant throughout the age spectrum.

• @itrmike said:
    What's the legal age to register a limited liability business in the US? In the UK it's 16 which is why I see quite a few UK based companies here (only assuming though as they don't explicitly reveal their ages).

I started as a sole prop but at month 2 filed for an LLC. Now, this wasn't a hosting biz, but if memory serves me, I was the owner of the sole share within the company. I believe my lawyer made my father an officer at one point for contract purposes but I honestly can't remember and IANAL. However, I did litigate a six figure lawsuit and settle in mediation, and it was never an issue.

• I've got a sense of deja vu here. It reminds me of a very similar post made last year in the members section of WHT.

• ^ I thought the same thing

• I don't know much about US company structure, so I looked up a few things.

Type of Corp DOMESTIC BCA

Googled "domestic bca" and it says

Domestic BCA Corporation refers to a form of legal relationship between two individual livings as domestic partners but not enjoined by marriage.

not quite sure what to make of that one ;)

BTW, there's some great stuff here and here. some good bedtime reading for Jonny. live by those words and you will prosper.

• So for all the people second guessing whether Jonathan is putting his money where his mouth is - I can confirm he is - or at least did for me just now. Not going into details but he went above and beyond financially in a situation where he didn't have to (the terms where on his side).

• Bruce said: I don't know much about US company structure, so I looked up a few things.

BCA=Illinois Business Corporation Act of 1983

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs5.asp?ActID=2273&ChapterID=65

• c0yc0y Member
    edited January 2014

@itrmike said:
    What's the legal age to register a limited liability business in the US? In the UK it's 16 which is why I see quite a few UK based companies here (only assuming though as they don't explicitly reveal their ages).

There is no minimum age for an LLC because nobody has to carry any form of liability.

• MonsteRMonsteR Member
    edited January 2014

@AlexanderM said:

I guess it's a good thing to see young people trying to be creative, But isn't this the reason we see so many "summerhost's" come and go? I mean if they think everything out logically and setup some plans but just making a host to make a host or because their friend done it and it looks good isn't good enough, So this really depends on the person.

P.S Not bashing kids, But 98% of Kiddie host's fail because this reason.

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited January 2014

concerto49 said: When you isolate and single out staff groups by race, it is racist.

I have to disagree with this. Racism is not merely singling out a group by race, it also means attaching some connotation of inferiority or superiority.

If I say, "I employ 20 [insert race name] support techs", this is a statement of fact and is not racist.

If I say, "I employ 20 [insert race name] support techs and pay them $2/hour because [insert race name] techs aren't very good" it is a racist statement.

If I say, "I employ 20 [insert race name] support techs" and you infer that those tech are somehow inferior, then you are being racist, not me.

• @sleddog said:

I employ a dedicated team of 21 Indian technicians, and 8 US-based technicians. My US-based technicians are lazy as f*** and about to get sacked.

This discussion has been closed.