Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Openvpn speeds from eastern Europe from various providers - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Openvpn speeds from eastern Europe from various providers

12346»

Comments

• @kendid: my test pings today to both buyvm and lightwave have been within less than a ms of each other, so I'm not seeing any obvious latency anywhere.

I do sympathize with you folks on the old continent though: apart from the lower throughput, this kind of variation can effectively make streaming video, etc. unwatchable over a VPN.

• kendidkendid Veteran

@rds100 That makes alot of sense. Thanks.

@quirkyquark Yes, it makes Hulu absolutely unbearable. Thankfully there is alot of competition in this market and alot of other fine quality providers. It has become a bit of an addiction to see which provider can provide the best streaming... Up to 13 Vpses now, and only using them for a VPN.

There are alot of other good things over here on the old continent though! Cheap cell phone calls (free incoming/outgoing if other party is on same provider) -- this is on pay as you go, as well as cheap internet (23 Mbps unlimited - $20/mo including the residential line!)

As long as the wife gets her "tv fix" she's happy, which in turn makes me happy!

• Would someone from BuyVM please check the test file server and make sure its alright? I'm getting poor results from all over.

• @JoeMerit said: Would someone from BuyVM please check the test file server and make sure its alright? I'm getting poor results from all over.

I think bvm staff may be ignoring this thread because of the earlier vitriolic directed against them. I'll make a new thread so we can address just this issue.

• JacobJacob Member

What is your problem, BuyVM is a budget provider and by far the best at doing what they do at their price range. If they had stock available every day, all day I imagine us other providers would have a hard time getting customers. ;)

Even I use BuyVM and I am extremely satisfied, You need to grow up and quit your bitching.

/Stop feeding the Troll.

@Maounique said: As you can see we are talking here speeds and this is the thread about. I am also from eastern europe...

I presented 2 cases of much better speeds than of BuyVM, no wonder they want to shut down the thread especially when there are other ppl confirming the problems there, i am curious if they will manage to close it.
    I dont report any name calling and other abuses, so if the thread is closed will be obvious who did it.
    M

• @Jacob said: Even I use BuyVM and I am extremely satisfied, You need to grow up and quit your bitching.

/Stop feeding the Troll.

Were you talking to me?

• @quirkyquark said: I think bvm staff may be ignoring this thread

That's a negative. For beginners, it's Saturday evening, and we'd like to relax with our families. Despite how much we like this place, we don't live on LET :P

We're actively working to fix the issue; that being said, LET is not a BuyVM support forum. Many of you never said peep about networking to bring it to our attention until the recent trolling (and yet after that thread, 8 new tickets within hours)... if you wanted a faster fix, you should've ticketed us first instead of relying on community input.

(Protip: The community doesn't have root access to our router to fix problems like this).

• nabonabo Member
    edited April 2012

@gsrdgrdghd said: I wanted to use OpenVPN to see if i can get better speedtest results with than with SSH proxying but it still sucks :(

I just checked my VPS at BuyVM and I also have quite bad results. I'm using OpenVPN.

I guess I'll open a ticket. I never checked the speed before.

• @Aldryic said: (Protip: The community doesn't have root access to our router to fix problems like this).

That you know of ;)

• @nabo said: I guess I'll open a ticket. I never checked the speed before.

Just wait till tomorrow, they've announced some router maintance for today evening that might fix the issue

Thanked by 1nabo
  • BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited April 2012

@Maounique - I'd love to see some data on that overload. (If there is a problem with the service on any level I like to know about it :) ) ... thanks for clearing that up though.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2012

@BlueVM said: @Maounique - I'd love to see some data on that overload. (If there is a problem with the service on any level I like to know about it :) ) ... thanks for clearing that up though.

No, it was some test from my part, I never said it was the fault of your server, I was trying to run java apps, as expected, it didnt work with all the tweaking. Sorry for not being clear enough.
    You know you heard from me when there was a real problem, I have no issue opening tickets :P
    M

• JacobJacob Member

@quirkyquark It was aimed over at @Moaunique :-)

edited April 2012

@Jacob said: @quirkyquark It was aimed over at @Moaunique :-)

Yeah, I think it should be clear by now that all flak is towards me as the only one who dares to challenge the "big boys" and their TL;DR crowd. This is the second incident when ppl were not sure against whom the abuse was directed to.
    M

• @Maounique said: they still claim there is some routing issue.

There are only two possible explanations, network-wise, for the discrepancy between BuyVM and Lightwave results: (a) routing problem or (b) deliberate throttling. For argument's sake, suppose it were (b), do you really think ANY hosting provider would be dumb enough to throttle their test file/server????

You're welcome to your tinfoil, I prefer cold, hard logic.

I assume that these days, most Eastern European VPS customers connected from their homes don't need to hide their activities from someone, but just need access to Hulu, Netflix, etc. or firewalled content. In that case, why bother with something so top-heavy as OpenVPN, or even an SSH -dport proxy? Setup a SOCKS proxy on your VPS, with connections allowed only from your IP or narrow subnet, and it'll be faster than either of the former two, with their extra overhead. Maybe I'll do some tests of this sort from a European VPS to see what the most efficient solution is for those who don't need encryption.

edited April 2012

@quirkyquark said: There are only two possible explanations,

There is the third. 2gbps dont allow 5k customers to use their 500 GB if they were on the lowest plan even if they were doing traffic all the time. Most of the time the uplink is saturated and only ppl with peering or on same carrier can benefit from higher speeds, the others have 1, maybe 2 mbps in total (up/down). Once they will buy more bw, things will improve/problem go away.
    I think, after this thread, they cant avoid it anymore. Sure, will say they solved the "routing issue", but the reality will be they bought more BW, possibly even better, from another carrier.

Regarding eastern europeans that "have nothing to hide" therefore should not use encryption, I think this is their choice, last time I checked encryption wasnt illegal (yet).
    For firewalled content they wont use US proxy, only for content only available in US, otherwise they would shoot themselves in the foot, even with a provider with plenty of BW and on the east coast.
    If you try to imply that OpenVPN is introducing some "heavy" overhead and this is why ppl get those disastruous (at times) results, not to mention SSH, i think you are in error there, it is negligible at worst, actually should not be felt even on dial-up.
    M

• @Maounique said: There is the third. 2gbps dont allow 5k customers to use their 500 GB if they were on the lowest plan even if they were doing traffic all the time.

This is just proof you do not understand how the internet works. Can you accept the possibility not everyone uses what they are allocated? If you can, you are one step closer to reality, as a very small portion of users consume over 40-50gb of data in a month.

• @miTgiB said: This is just proof you do not understand how the internet works. Can you accept the possibility not everyone uses what they are allocated? If you can, you are one step closer to reality, as a very small portion of users consume over 40-50gb of data in a month.

I fear you may be wasting your time Tim, doesn't seem as though Tin foil hat moaner maounique will quite grasp anything outside of their own reality.

• @Maounique said: If they oversell 10x based ont he fact ppl use only 50 GB out of 500, then we are now 100% sure WHY they dont allow Tor non-exit nodes, for instance, that would generate 0 complaints and can be easily checked automatically.

Just cuz they like ponies doesn't mean you need to beat a dead horse, they do allow Tor, so stop embarrassing yourself.

I don't need to ask them about BGP, I can see it for myself in my routers. You've chosen a fight that you do not have the first clue about, so there is no other outcome than you either embarrass yourself further or you concede.

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2012

Guys,

This thread is interesting as it may or may not shed light on business polices of a company, but when it comes down to it I don't believe a none customer should go to the depths that have been shown here.

Services from hosting companies are provided as a privilege and not a right! Buyvm have the right to refuse service to anyone who falls foul of their TOS/AUP. That is the reason for a TOS/AUP.

They also are providing a service and that service may not be suitable for everyone! If its not suitable for you and your needs then simply find another company that is.

Looking at this thread calling @Maounique a tin hat wearer etc. is only going to do one thing and that is wind him up and make him post more, because he believe's he is right! The fact is from his point of view what he is saying is true.

Basically this looks like a lot of people jumping on someone because he's going against the norm and in a community people should be trying to solve problems and help each other out! (sometimes that might mean giving people a quick PM to tell them to drop a topic or even STFU!) :D

Also on the topic of overselling, its only bad if it's done wrong. Buyvm may only have a 2gb/s line but monitor it constantly, ready to add more bandwidth is there is ever a need. Therefore what they are saying is 100% correct, everybody is guaranteed their bandwidth.