Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Colocrossing et al
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Colocrossing et al

rchurchrchurch Member
edited January 2014 in General

GreenValueHost recently made this offer http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/20028/greenvaluehost-is-now-in-ny-tx-la-check-out-this-massive-blowout-sale-starting-3-100tb-bw which offers 100TB of bandwidth for $5, which I believe even exceeds the monthly capacity of a 1Gbit connection. This I believe is ridiculous by any measure even to anyone who sees it, let alone LET admins who are more knowledgeable about the industry.

I have been viewing the debates about the preferential treatment providers that or hosted or affiliated with Colocrossing get on this forum. A recent thread on vpsBoard indicates that GVH is affiliated to Colocrossing however indirectly.

In light of this issue shouldn't LET administrators or owners clear up this issue about Colocrossing's influence on this forum, or at least make it clear when a provider is affiliated or even appears to be affiliated with Colocrossing? It looks like the probity of LET and LEB is turning into a joke.

I am not in the hosting business, but having been burned by a few unscrupulous LEB/LET providers in the past, I think I have to raise this issue for the sake newcomers who maybe less knowledgeable about what is feasible and what isn't in this industry.

FWIW the time it takes up to setup or server then migrate and set it up again elsewhere is really aggravating and new users need to be spared from this problem as much as is possible.

EDiT: I have been informed that 1Gbit connection does ~300TB a month. I stand corrected. Yet the post at vpsBoard mentions that CC charge $20 for 10TB bandwith. So why should a CC affiliate be offering 100TB for $5?

I am not interested in posting links to a competing forum, but interested parties can check it for themselves.

Comments

• You get ~300TB on a maxed out 1Gbpit port in a month. Oh dayum, 100TB bandwidth for $5?!?!?

• And how exactly did they get preferential treatment on LET?

It's not like someone else posted a similar offer and it was removed for being unsustainable. I don't think an offer on LET has ever been removed for being unsustainable.

• mpkossenmpkossen Member
    edited January 2014

Providers are free to post offers here in accordance to the rules. We do not filter these offers and we will only intervene on the offers when they are complete scams. Other than that, it's all up to the community to discuss the offers in the offer thread (this may include warning users, etc.).

@rchurch said: In light of this issue shouldn't LET administrators or owners clear up this issue about Colocrossing's influence on this forum, or at least make it clear when a provider is affiliated or even appears to be affiliated with Colocrossing? It looks like the probity of LET and LEB is turning into a joke.

I don't really understand your question here. ColoCrossing owns the place, so they can pretty much do what they want with it. In my personal experience, though, they hardly every intervene. I am in charge of the day-to-day management and they leave most things up to me (and the rest of the team).

Thanked by 1Lee
  • @rchurch said:

I will list all of the nice misinformations in your post:

1) Hardcloud was ColoCrossing bound, 100% in fact. Did we get special treatment? Nope.

2) You can exceed 300TB on a 1gbps pipe, I've done it.

etc etc.

--

I can offer you 1EB transfer on our Enterprise Cloud for $5. The question is, how many idiots would buy it before it took one intelligent person to question how much you could actually push?

• I'm suppose that you will be suspended for CPU abuse before you can use these 100 TB :)

• ReeceReece Member
    edited January 2014

Have to agree some of the offers that are getting posted out dam right ridiculous, the end result will always be unhappy customers, i can only guess GVH is just a major pump that is indeed screwing everyone over with unrealistic plans. Jheeze the hardware is only even able to handle 32GB how can this even be considered acceptable when there is 4GB deals coming out of nowhere. If John can answer my questions I sure will grab a 100TB box of you and I damm right will use it legally, but then again there could be a clause for a reason to get a kick before i even reach anywhere near 100TB for $5 a month.. There is overselling but then there is always someone taking the total piss with it.

• rchurchrchurch Member
    edited January 2014

@mpkossen said:
    Providers are free to post offers here in accordance to the rules. We do not filter these offers and we will only intervene on the offers when they are complete scams. Other than that, it's all up to the community to discuss the offers in the offer thread (this may include warning users, etc.).

I don't really understand your question here. ColoCrossing owns the place, so they can pretty much do what they want with it. In my personal experience, though, they hardly every intervene. I am in charge of the day-to-day management and they leave most things up to me (and the rest of the team).

@mpkossen If another provider came up with same offer and you didn't know them to affiliated with Colocrossing would you have accepted it, or would you treat it as a possible scam? Wouldn't you inform the users that it appears too good to be true, even if it could be true?

• @Reece said:
    Have to agree some of the offers that are getting posted out dam right ridiculous, the end result will always be unhappy customers, i can only guess GVH is just a major pump that is indeed screwing everyone over with unrealistic plans. Jheeze the hardware is only even able to handle 32GB how can this even be considered acceptable when there is 4GB deals coming out of nowhere. If John can answer my questions I sure will grab a 100TB box of you and I damm right will use it legally, but then again there could be a clause for a reason to get a kick before i even reach anywhere near 100TB for $5 a month.. There overselling then there is taking the piss to be honest.

I really could use some more credits in my OnApp Edge CDN account... Registering a few...

Thanked by 1Reece
  • rchurch said: If another provider came up with same offer and you didn't know them to affiliated with Colocrossing would you have accepted it, or would you treat it as a possible scam? Wouldn't you inform the users that it appears too good to be true, even if it could be true?

I don't accept anything. Providers just post offers on LET, just like you posted this thread. There's nothing special about it.

And yes, I would have let it go from any other provider as well. Unless we would be getting reports that the company is a scam, of course.

The community is great at informing users. Much better than I am.

On another note: in my personal opinion, those offers are crazy as well. It seems really unsustainable to me. But hey, who am I to judge? Apparently, it works for them, one way or the other. They've been around a while.

• edited January 2014

HardCloud said: 2) You can exceed 300TB on a 1gbps pipe, I've done it.

The physical limit of a Gigabit port in theory is

1000mbit / 8bits = 125MiB/s
    125MiB * 60sec * 60min * 24h * 30days / 1TiB (2^20) = 309.0TiB

That means you were using 97.1% of the monthly capacity which seems rather unlikely because hardware like ethernet ports, switches etc take your max speed down by about 10%. Unless of course you had bonded ports and a very reliable bandwidth provider. So are you really so sure you crossed 300TiB on a Gigabit port..?

• Depends how you count it. There is another 300TB or so possible in the other direction...

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

heh, buy 3 insist they are all on different physical nodes, generate a 10GB file and down/upload it between all your VPS's constantly 24x7.

That is how you show someone how stupid it is to allow/offer 1000TB @ $50

• If a customer asked GVH to dedicate a single node to all their VPS, filling that node to capacity in order to avoid complaints from other users, would GVH allow it?

• Host4GeeksHost4Geeks Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2014

rchurch said: If a customer asked GVH to dedicate a single node to all their VPS, filling that node to capacity in order to avoid complaints from other users, would GVH allow it?

I like that. Good one.

• 1 GBPS Full Duplex (ie : Symmetric) It was rather easy to go over the 300TB here considering it was a backup shard in SingleHOP, behind the same TOR switch (same cabinet as the nodes it was backup for.)

300TB on public ethernet... yeah, I can't see that being used really, what with latency, overhead, etc.

It's a shame I'm a provider now. If I was still a pissed off consumer I'd have purchased a few of these, and done similar to @AnthonySmith 's suggestion, but with a little more tact (legitimate data via the OnApp CDN Edge provider program.)

• AnthonySmith said: heh, buy 3 insist they are all on different physical nodes, generate a 10GB file and down/upload it between all your VPS's constantly 24x7.

That is how you show someone how stupid it is to allow/offer 1000TB @ $50

You are naughty :P

• LeeLee Veteran

As soon as you start to use too much which wont be much they will be all over you with "You are not using it right" or "We just changed our terms".

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@HardCloud said:

Yeah for the record I personally would never do that, but I know that people will absolutely find a way to abuse it and probably will pay for the privilege.

• Maybe Kim Dotcom could use some cheap bandwidth :-D

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

*333TB

Feel like a grammar nazi. With...bandwidth.

• jnguyenjnguyen Member
    edited January 2014
    1. Who said that we're only on a 1Gbit NIC?
    2. Who said that we couldn't upgrade to a larger NIC if needed?
    3. Who said that we DON'T have the capital to pay for additional bandwidth and upgrades if needed?
    4. Who said that we don't have a special arrangement?

People really need to think things through before believing rumors. :/

Thank You for the free publicity though.

• @GreenValueHost said:
    1. Who said that we're only on a 1Gbit NIC?

My VPS's

1. Who said that we couldn't upgrade to a larger NIC if needed?

For more $. Once again, services at a loss.

1. Who said that we DON'T have the capital to pay for additional bandwidth and upgrades if needed?

This is besides the point. The fact that you offered services at a loss is what we are saying.

1. Who said that we don't have a special arrangement?

You do, and they force you to pay for bandwidth. You said it yourself on the Other Forum.

• Whether or not we offer services at a loss is our decision. It's quite possible that we may or may not be offering these services at a loss to gain publicity (and quite frankly it's working, because there are threads ALL OVER THE PLACE about us EVERYWHERE, we're being talked about, our Alexa rank is soaring from LEGITIMATE traffic, sales for all of our services are soaring (We're even getting shared/reseller plan and dedicated server purchases from VPS clients) .. So to be honest all of this money that we're theoretically losing, we're gaining BACK from misc. sales from all this publicity everyone is giving us.

This is basically the low end industry giving us free advertising everywhere. We don't even have to pay for SEO, we don't even need to pay for banner advertisements, nothing. All these threads advertise the hell out of our services for us and once again, all the money we're theoretically losing is being made back on misc. sales.

• @GreenValueHost said:
    Whether or not we offer services at a loss is our decision. It's quite possible that we may or may not be offering these services at a loss to gain publicity (and quite frankly it's working, because there are threads ALL OVER THE PLACE about us EVERYWHERE, we're being talked about, our Alexa rank is soaring from LEGITIMATE traffic, sales for all of our services are soaring (We're even getting shared/reseller plan and dedicated server purchases from VPS clients) .. So to be honest all of this money that we're theoretically losing, we're gaining BACK from misc. sales from all this publicity everyone is giving us.

This is basically the low end industry giving us free advertising everywhere. We don't even have to pay for SEO, we don't even need to pay for banner advertisements, nothing. All these threads advertise the hell out of our services for us and once again, all the money we're theoretically losing is being made back on misc. sales.

But the problem is that these Misc. sales cost YOU money.

You say that you pay $20 / 10 TB or $2 / TB.

We pay $5 for bandwidth that costs you $180.

• @jeffreywinters said:
    We pay $5 for bandwidth that costs you $180.

Let's just say this: Our misc. sales make up for a lot more than you think. Just as an example, we do have VPN companies signing up for our VPSes and they buy A LOT of IPv4 addresses and pay $1.00/month EACH for them. I'm not going to disclose our IPv4 pricing but our IPv4 pricing is extremely cheap and we make a lot from selling IPs, and the $$ we make from selling IPs ALONE is ENOUGH to make up for the bandwidth overage fees that we would receive if those VPN companies USED ALL of their bandwidth allocations.

And there's a lot more misc. sales, such as full management addon purchases, cPanel license purchases, the list just goes on and on.

• Pretty impressive offer OP linked. With the TOS/AUP changes I guess it's time to give GVH a try.

• @GreenValueHost said:
    And there's a lot more misc. sales, such as full management addon purchases, cPanel license purchases, the list just goes on and on.

for this point, i was interested. Because i got my customer need for the VPN or tunneling use only and ofc i would love the reselling package. However, your services being complained everywhere, and myself also got it. Nothing running on the service, but got suspended suddenly. That will troublesome to open ticket everyday if i got 10 customer from reselling your service.

This topic was getting interested

• jnguyenjnguyen Member
    edited January 2014

@iSky - You were a customer before we made the major pro-consumer abuse policy changes. If you give us another chance I'm confident that you'll be happy. :)

• @GreenValueHost - yeah for sure, thats why i got some doubtly to ask for reseller package. i try your VPS for sure and got about 2-3 month. The VPS was down without notice and many thing also happen. For the BW and Network i think i will not doubt it, just that what you call auto system that gave you false alarm and suspend my VPS even i never used it yet.