Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Enjoy your open source encryption and OS (Linux) - and BACKDOORS! - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Enjoy your open source encryption and OS (Linux) - and BACKDOORS!

Comments

• edited April 18

@default said:
    The interesting aspect though is how such derailed thread just keeps on going.

Not overly surprising. It's the perfect opportunity to flesh out everyone's favorite pet subject or post their most clever slogans. All of that gets further fueled by scatter shot contributions going over 20 topics, which each could basically fill books, in 2-3 sentences per item. End result: Nothing much at all.

• @totally_not_banned said: To be honest, i don't really see what's the connection between those two topics, even if some parties seem to have an interest in having them be connected.

Im not sure which topics and parties you are referring too

• edited April 18

@lowenduser1 said:

@totally_not_banned said: To be honest, i don't really see what's the connection between those two topics, even if some parties seem to have an interest in having them be connected.

Well, debatable laws are debatable laws and conflicts are conflicts. Beyond that i'll just leave my post to be interpreted by the curious reader as i have very little interest in getting involved in this. With a little bit of a distanced view it shouldn't be too hard to see anyways.

• @totally_not_banned said:

@lowenduser1 said:

@totally_not_banned said: To be honest, i don't really see what's the connection between those two topics, even if some parties seem to have an interest in having them be connected.

Well, debatable laws are debatable laws and conflicts are conflicts. Beyond that i'll just leave my post to be interpreted by the curious reader as i have very little interest in getting involved in this. With a little bit of a distanced view it shouldn't be too hard to see anyways.

I see.

I did the math, knowing telegram has over 900 million active users where at least 10% is born criminal and some other percentage is influenced in being criminal during conflict. there's no way one runs their business with such numbers without automated systems

• shruubshruub Member

@totally_not_banned said:

@shruub said:

@shruub said:

@ asterisk14 said:

Oh yeah that's just britain. Ain't EU anymore and seemingly kinda went to shit after that.

Sorry you asked for a country and I gave you one. Sorry you are not satisfied. Please do research by your ownself for situation in other European democracies.

Lol man, you're desperate.

Those kind of law constructs (forcing people to give up passwords at the threat of hurtful fines/sentences) also seem to exist at least for France, Netherlands, Belgium and Ireland.

In regards to Germany suspects can't be forced to cooperate right now but those provisions don't apply to witnesses and the finer details of what witnesses are required to do are a topic of debate, so chances are non-compliance will still result in fines (or at least threats thereof) fighting which is then up the person being forced. From what i get providers are also generally required to give up passwords, which is planned to be extended to any kind of digital service. Implementing provisions (jail...) to directly force people to give up passwords are also on the table.

It's sad but those kind of approaches are pretty much en vogue these days.

Alright then. Regardless, he's still quite desperate.

Well, as far as i'm concerned this thread is pretty pointless in general (about 90% is just confrontation for the sake of confrontation with noone gaining anything from it).

Oh yeah, totally. That's why I stopped actually giving more than 1/4 shits with my replies.

I was just curious how many countries had taken this stance on passwords by now as i would have been somewhat surprised if it was still just the UK alone, so i looked into it a bit.

Fair enough. And it is interesting. I would have, other than GB maybe guessed France, but Belgium, Ireland and the Netherlands? Damn. I'd just hope the law doesn't really change in Germany.

• shruubshruub Member

@lowenduser1 said:

@shruub said:

@shruub said:

@ asterisk14 said:

Oh yeah that's just britain. Ain't EU anymore and seemingly kinda went to shit after that.

Sorry you asked for a country and I gave you one. Sorry you are not satisfied. Please do research by your ownself for situation in other European democracies.

Lol man, you're desperate.

Those kind of law constructs (forcing people to give up passwords at the threat of hurtful fines/sentences) also seem to exist at least for France, Netherlands, Belgium and Ireland.

In regards to Germany suspects can't be forced to cooperate right now but those provisions don't apply to witnesses and the finer details of what witnesses are required to do are a topic of debate, so chances are non-compliance will still result in fines (or at least threats thereof) fighting which is then up the person being forced. From what i get providers are also generally required to give up passwords, which is planned to be extended to any kind of digital service. Implementing provisions (jail...) to directly force people to give up passwords are also on the table.

It's sad but those kind of approaches are pretty much en vogue these days.

Alright then. Regardless, he's still quite desperate.

Well, as far as i'm concerned this thread is pretty pointless in general. I was just curious how many countries had taken this stance on passwords by now as i would have been somewhat surprised if it was still just the UK alone, so i looked into it a bit.

I guess it kind of matters why someone wants passwords in the first place. In case of current events of high tension and conflict it doesn't really matter what some country stance is. Sure the situation will be exploited as by product

Obviously Telegram or any major platform cooperates efficiently with APIs in compliance.

Telegram hasn't shared a single byte of userdata if you ignore the times they did, for example not to get banned in the Country wanting the data.

• edited April 18

@lowenduser1 said:
    I did the math, knowing telegram has over 900 million active users where at least 10% is born criminal and some other percentage is influenced in being criminal during conflict. there's no way one runs their business with such numbers without automated systems

Yeah, chances of some lonely Indian going through messages occasionally sending out a notice reading "STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM!" are probably more than just extremely low.

• edited April 18

@shruub said:
    I'd just hope the law doesn't really change in Germany.

Yeah, i'm actually kind of surprised that they didn't go along with this yet. Given all the draconian police laws most (all?) states have passed in recent years i'd have thought making passwords fair game would just be pushed through with little discussion or opposition at all.

From a purely technical angle it's not that big of deal though. All it really means is that one has to take care of guaranteeing plausible deniability. I kind of wonder why there isn't more discussion about this given all the developments but i figure practical cases are probably not that often about disk encryption but rather phones, accounts and such.

Telegram hasn't shared a single byte of userdata if you ignore the times they did, for example not to get banned in the Country wanting the data.

Well, at least that's what they are saying publicly. It's not like i have any evidence that would contradict their statements or want to imply that they did something like that but in general keeping quiet about cooperating could very much be in the interest of all parties involved (aside from the person being leaked/spied on obviously).

Telegram is running custom encryption (something pretty much every cryptography expert will advise against) after all and by default a lot is transmitted (and stored) unencrypted as far as i know, so they could probably get at quite a lot of data if they wanted.

My biggest gripe with Telegram is still the phone number requirement though. I understand that it's likely kind of an anti-spam measure but if they were that big on privacy i feel they should have looked into alternatives and not require something, which in a lot of places is not available anonymously unless the user invests some noticeable effort into skirting local regulations.

• shruubshruub Member
    edited April 18

@shruub said:
    I'd just hope the law doesn't really change in Germany.

Yeah, i'm actually kind of surprised that they didn't go along with this yet. Given all the draconian police laws most (all?) states have passed in recent years i'd have thought making passwords fair game would just be pushed through with little discussion or opposition at all.

I'd say there has been some discussion on news outlets covering such things, but well, it just isn't mainstream. Say the recent bust of a big illegal marketplace, no real technical detail given and more just: "Interwebs criminals exist?"

From a purely technical angle it's not that big of deal though. All it really means is that one has to take care of guaranteeing plausible deniability. I kind of wonder why there isn't more discussion about this given all the developments but i figure practical cases are probably not that often about disk encryption but rather phones, accounts and such.

If needed yeah. Sometimes LR plans seizures or similar so it can be assured data/a device is already encrypted.

Well, at least that's what they are saying publicly. It's not like i have any evidence that would contradict their statements or want to imply that they did something like that but in general keeping quiet about cooperating could very much be in the interest of all parties involved (aside from the person being leaked/spied on obviously).

I'm waaay to lazy to find it, but Telegram did share data, for example to the BKA. Also similar when Durov even travels to countries to get agreements.

Edit: Okay that was actually really easy once I remembered.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20230130060755/https://www.tagesschau.de/investigativ/ndr-wdr/telegram-125.html

https://www.ndr.de/der_ndr/presse/mitteilungen/Ministerium-bestaetigt-erstmals-Telegram-gibt-Nutzerdaten-an-deutsche-Sicherheitsbehoerden,pressemeldungndr23418.html

and
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IXoR7_S1xo -
    Quite in-depth showcase of Telegram and it's independence, really the best Strg+f doku ever, before they kinda went to shit. iykyk blah blah blah.
    but yeah, a tad bit off-topic.

Telegram is running custom encryption (something pretty much every cryptography expert will advise against) after all and by default a lot is transmitted (and stored) unencrypted as far as i know, so they could probably get at quite a lot of data if they wanted.

I mean, non encrypted phone numbers and mostly non encrypted messages. I'd guess IP-Addresses aren't secured well enough as well.

My biggest gripe with Telegram is still the phone number requirement though. I understand that it's likely kind of an anti-spam measure but if they were that big on privacy i feel they should have looked into alternatives and not require something, which in a lot of places is not available anonymously unless the user invests some noticeable effort into skirting local regulations.

Yeah. In an efford to make a fairly bot-prove (not really, but you know), yet newbie friendly system, stuff like that gets added early on and never changes (unless you buy they shitcoin and then buy an overpriced +888 number). There are of course other fairly easy and legal ways to get pretty much any number such as online providers, but that isn't something telegram would think of (only to block them).

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned
  • edited April 18

@shruub said:
    There are of course other fairly easy and legal ways to get pretty much any number such as online providers, but that isn't something telegram would think of (only to block them).

Well, aside from getting a foreign SIM card (UK, Romania and so on) the most straight forward way is to just go to a flea market and look for a guy selling cellphone equipment. Often times there's also SIM cards on offer (side business of some little phone shop) and i'd say chances are like 50/50 they'll activate the card for you without even asking your name, let alone any kind of ID. If you tell them that you don't have any identification with you and just provide some bullshit data the probability of you walking away with an anonymous SIM card will likely approach 100 percent. At least that's how it used to be a couple years ago.

Chances are the first version probably isn't even illegal (for you) as you did nothing wrong (i mean, hey, what are you supposed to do if you ask for activation and the guy just tells you to come back in 5 minutes?). I'd just be very curious whose name they put those cards under. I don't think just giving a bunch of Xs is going to work as they are using their reseller access with the network provider to activate the cards.

• emghemgh Member

”my i m have no id”

• fatchanfatchan Member

@asterisk14 said: US government wanted backdoor to Telegram – founder
    -snip-
    I'm sure all our open source encryption and OS's like Linux are backdoor free! ;) Enjoy them.

/r/iamverysmart

Thanked by 22oldheroes kendid
  • @Mumbly said:
    Ladies, please, can we all step back for a moment?

nagh , he is fighting the decadent west fiercely on western website to revenge his hordes that lost on the frontline

Thanked by 1xaoc
  • shruubshruub Member

@shruub said:
    There are of course other fairly easy and legal ways to get pretty much any number such as online providers, but that isn't something telegram would think of (only to block them).

the most straight forward way is to just go to a flea market and look for a guy selling cellphone equipment.

Eh, not too sure bout that. A) you gotta go outside (that joke was funnier in my head) and well, what are you going to look for? I'd guess most phones have a SIM in them, do they?

Often times there's also SIM cards on offer (side business of some little phone shop) and i'd say chances are like 50/50 they'll activate the card for you without even asking your name, let alone any kind of ID. If you tell them that you don't have any identification with you and just provide some bullshit data the probability of you walking away with an anonymous SIM card will likely approach 100 percent. At least that's how it used to be a couple years ago.
    I mean, yeah. If they have a logo of Lebara, Ortel etc. they usually have activated cards already (though dunno that is in other countries)You don't even have to give em fake info, that only worked pre 2017.

Chances are the first version probably isn't even illegal (for you) as you did nothing wrong (i mean, hey, what are you supposed to do if you ask for activation and the guy just tells you to come back in 5 minutes?). I'd just be very curious whose name they put those cards under. I don't think just giving a bunch of Xs is going to work as they are using their reseller access with the network provider to activate the cards.

iirc they have them preregistered on their companies (as if for employees), not too sure though. Just X"s wouldn't work due to ID requirement for individuals though.

• edited April 19

@shruub said:

@shruub said:

the most straight forward way is to just go to a flea market and look for a guy selling cellphone equipment.

Eh, not too sure bout that. A) you gotta go outside (that joke was funnier in my head) and well, what are you going to look for? I'd guess most phones have a SIM in them, do they?

Pretty easy: The same paper packaging you see in supermarkets or gas stations. It's basically brand new SIMs.

I mean, yeah. If they have a logo of Lebara, Ortel etc. they usually have activated cards already (though dunno that is in other countries)You don't even have to give em fake info, that only worked pre 2017.

Well, it still works when the guy entering the data into the network providers system doesn't check IDs. As for the Lebara, Ortel or similar cards. These are usually imported cards from countries with no registration requirements. Given those providers by default target an international audience it's kinda obvious why those get usually chosen. Sometimes it's also cards that got activated by the same kind of dodgy resellers that are also doing it as needed but for those kind of providers i figure the chances of being handed an import is way higher. In any case officially pre-activated cards destined for Germany don't exist.

iirc they have them preregistered on their companies (as if for employees), not too sure though. Just X"s wouldn't work due to ID requirement for individuals though.

Hmm, my best guess would really be that they enter some foreign data (either fake or real) that can't really be checked or targeted during an investigation. Given that a lot of those cards are probably bought by people having very specific requirements entering their own data would likely become a hassle soon as they'd be the ones getting visits as soon as these numbers are found to be somehow involved in crime.

ID check doesn't apply here as the guys selling the cards are really the ones who would be supposed to do this but they simply don't. The have access to the networks internal registration system and as soon as they vouch for the data having been verified by an ID (even if it really hasn't) that's how the network is actually going to treat it. I've actually seen the activation manual (well really nothing but a single piece of paper with a couple check marks) for Vodafone resellers. First point is "Check your clients ID to get their data" and if that simply never happens any kind of data can enter the system.

• shruubshruub Member
    edited April 19

@shruub said:

@shruub said:

Pretty easy: The same paper packaging you see in supermarkets or gas stations. It's basically brand new SIMs.

Eh alright. I've never seen that on any flea market.

Well, it still works when the guy entering the data into the network providers system doesn't check IDs. As for the Lebara, Ortel or similar cards. These are usually imported cards from countries with no registration requirements. Given those providers by default target an international audience it's kinda obvious why those get usually chosen. Sometimes it's also cards that got activated by the same kind of dodgy resellers that are also doing it as needed but for those kind of providers i figure the chances of being handed an import is way higher. In any case officially pre-activated cards destined for Germany don't exist.

Well of course they don't officially exist, that'd be illegal. Though I've never been asked an ID to buy them (in said stores) ever, and I'd say it'd not just the store owner manually activating them. We'll never know ig.

Hmm, my best guess would really be that they enter some foreign data (either fake or real) that can't really be checked or targeted during an investigation. Given that a lot of those cards are probably bought by people having very specific requirements entering their own data would likely become a hassle soon as they'd be the ones getting visits as soon as these numbers are found to be somehow involved in crime.

Well, I'm not sure as too what extend (most) store owners actually want their sims to be anonymous (some do actually charge extra, so, well, they know what they're doing), that might be it. It's registered over a company which then puts some sort of invaild data as their employee data.

ID check doesn't apply here as the guys selling the cards are really the ones who would be supposed to do this but they simply don't.

Not neccessarly. Videoident/Postident exists for that reason. It used to be the case, but they didn't want to give casheers and store owners more responsibities (e.g. this )
    The have access to the networks internal registration system and as soon as they vouch for the data having been verified by an ID (even if it really hasn't) that's how the network is actually going to treat it. I've actually seen the activation manual (well really nothing but a single piece of paper with a couple check marks) for Vodafone resellers. First point is "Check your clients ID to get their data" and if that simply never happens any kind of data can enter the system.

Oh, alright. Well that kind of destorys almost everything I've said before, should have read the comment in total. Just to be sure, that was post 2017, right?

Edit: also midly interesting, https://reddit.com/r/AskAGerman/comments/1bhlqim/lebara_sim_card_is_it_scum/ for some background info

• nocloudnocloud Member

Why did the OP change his avatar from the logo of the Russian Military Commissariat, to
    fusionpbx?

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited April 19

Who cares.
    He's around long enough. People make it too personal.

• nocloudnocloud Member
    edited April 19

@Mumbly said:
    Who cares.

I care. If fusionpbx are associated with a person who calls dead civilians meat toppings then i don't want to use that product.

And not saying this is you but, where do you draw the line on "who cares" ? If overhearing a rape through the apartment wall, should we think? "not my problem".

If he said the things he said in real public life, he would be held accountable somehow.

What if he's the next high school shooter and we didn't care?

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited April 19

@nocloud said: I care. If fusionpbx are associated with a person who calls dead civilians meat toppings then i don't want to use that product.

I haven't seen anything like that in this thread, just a bunch of morons trying to make the discussion personal. So, how is your question, personal related attack related to this thread?
    You're just as annoying as him, or even more as you're off-topic.

"Why did the OP change his avatar from the logo of the Russian Military Commissariat, to
    fusionpbx?"

What answer do you expect?

There's this thread at https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/177624/the-russia-vs-ukraine-thread-lets-not-derail-other-threads that I'm sure no sane person would follow. Please keep your content in this thread so the rest of us won't have to go through this specific non-tech-related content in every random thread.

• edited April 19

@shruub said:
    I've never been asked an ID to buy them (in said stores) ever

If they are selling imported SIM cards getting your data would make no sense anyways as they'd have no place to put it. A lot of countries had (and some likely still have) SIM cards requiring zero registration - not even something like the silly German pre-2017 forms where everyone (absolutely truthfully) stated being Alf from Melmac. At worst you'll have to make a random outgoing call after putting it in your phone to activate those.

Edit: I guess it's also possible that those shops get some foreign SIM cards requiring some type of registration similar to the German pre-2017 form and simply mass register these on bogus data to sell as pre-activated.

Just to be sure, that was post 2017, right?

Absolutely. The last time i've personally seen this was in 2020, i think.

Edit: also midly interesting, https://reddit.com/r/AskAGerman/comments/1bhlqim/lebara_sim_card_is_it_scum/ for some background info

Hehe, yeah. That sounds exactly like what those dodgy resellers/partners would do. The guy probably just walked into some little phone shop and asked for a SIM card, just to be handed one registered to who-the-fuck-knows without any further comment.

I don't really think it's a problem specific to Lebara, Lyca, Ortel and so on though. These type of ehno-providers are just really popular with the milieus that tend to operate these kind of shops.

• nocloudnocloud Member

@Mumbly said:

@nocloud said: I care. If fusionpbx are associated with a person who calls dead civilians meat toppings then i don't want to use that product.

I haven't seen anything like that in this thread, just a bunch of morons trying to make the discussion personal. So, how is your question, personal related attack related to this thread?

ill point it out for you then Mumbly.

He starts a thread called "Enjoy your open source encryption and OS (Linux) - and BACKDOORS!" then changes his avatar from the Russian military bullshit to the logo of a tool that you install on LINUX

You're just as annoying as him,

Didn't realise i was opening multiple conspiracy theory threads . Ill cut down.

@Mumbly said: Who cares.

why do you care ? and why did you take it so personal Mumbly?

Personally I care that this fool gets the medical help he needs. He'll still be a fool though just a happier one.

or even more as you're off-topic.

How it is off-topic? Does he support this Linux pbx based tool, kind of contradicts the title of the thread.

Why would he use this pbx tool if Linux is the only option ?

"Why did the OP change his avatar from the logo of the Russian Military Commissariat, to
    fusionpbx?"

What answer do you expect?

I don't expect one. I can only guess why.

There's this thread at https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/177624/the-russia-vs-ukraine-thread-lets-not-derail-other-threads that I'm sure no sane person would follow. Please keep your content in this thread so the rest of us won't have to go through this specific non-tech-related content in every random thread.

So you "don't care" but now you care ? at least you cared enough to get a like from the OrcBots.

• pedalapedala Member

Didn't Americans start by eliminating Huawei from the market on the grounds that they're snooping? And now they want to do the same? :)) In Romania, we have a saying, 'The thief cries thief!

• edited April 19

@Mumbly said:

I haven't seen anything like that in this thread

Not only that but these kind of inhumane stances can be found pretty much verbatim in that thread. Take a guess who was never been bothered the slightest... Total hypocritical shitshow.

It's best to simply ignore those guys. Anything else just gives them an excuse to dump even more annoying nonsense and drag one into pointless arguments. Admittedly that's not exactly ideal but then life is short.

• nocloudnocloud Member
    edited April 19

@pedala said:
    Didn't Americans start by eliminating Huawei from the market on the grounds that they're snooping? And now they want to do the same? :)) In Romania, we have a saying, 'The thief cries thief!

telegrams owner had his previous business compromised and taken over by the Russian government . That's why he started telegram.

As for Linux and or FOSS having backdoors, In UK we have a saying. 'prove it'

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited April 19

@nocloud

You served me another bunch of random irrelevant crap. How about to gtfo to a proper thread https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/177624/the-russia-vs-ukraine-thread-lets-not-derail-other-threads if you want to discuss with people actually interested in your personal mental issues?

• nocloudnocloud Member

@Mumbly said:
    @nocloud

You served me another bunch of random irrelevant crap. How about to gtfo to a proper thread https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/177624/the-russia-vs-ukraine-thread-lets-not-derail-other-threads if you want to discuss with people actually interested in your personal mental issues?

How's it irrelevant? The OP changed his avatar to a product that only works on Linux.

You read the thread title right?

• MumblyMumbly Member

Really big deal ...

• nocloudnocloud Member

@Mumbly said:
    Really big deal ...

Seems like it is to you. :lol: I just asked the question, you were the one who "Didn't Care", you didn't care enough to write 4 posts on the matter.

And now you seem to be really upset. Like the OP you seem to be very contradictory in what you say, compared to your actions.

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited April 19

@nocloud said: Like the OP you seem to be very contradictory in what you say, compared to your actions.

There's nothing contradictory in my writing. I responded solely to your personal attacks against another forum member. You act as if you're something better, but in reality, you're just one shitty personality with personal agenda more.
    If I'm correct, your main issue with him is that he's Russian (if I'm not mistaken), right? But the fact is, he was Russian even a decade or more ago when he became a member of this forum, and people didn't attack each other based on nationality.

And for the record, I don't necessarily agree with everything he said, but this does not make it okay for me to attack him on a personal level.

For the third time, if you have so many personal issues with all those things, please bring them to the https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/177624/the-russia-vs-ukraine-thread-lets-not-derail-other-threads so that the rest of us won't have to read people's personal issues with every random Russian forum member in every tech-related thread.

This discussion has been closed.