Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Enjoy your open source encryption and OS (Linux) - and BACKDOORS! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Enjoy your open source encryption and OS (Linux) - and BACKDOORS!

Comments

• edited April 17

@asterisk14 said:

@totally_not_banned said:

@angstrom said:

@asterisk14 said:

@angstrom said:
    Moved from General to News (for what it's worth, which isn't much)

@asterisk14 , you're aware that the Russians in the Kremlin also wanted a backdoor to Telegram and even banned Telegram for a while (for a couple of years?) when they didn't get what they wanted, right?

"Russians in the Kremlin" what a ridiculous language/phrase!

Why is it ridiculous?

Well, not that i really care all that much but it's kind of a strange way for saying "Russian government", isn't it?

Not strange, just ridiculous. I very much doubt he writes "Americans in the White House" when referring to USA govt.

Well, he gave his reasons and from his last post stating to use the term "government" simply for brevity reasons i deduct that there's an intention to more or less evenly apply those. Not really my personal take on the subject but i don't see anything outrageous about it either.

@angstrom said:

It's just my personal preference to speak of people

So you write the "Americans in the White House" or not when referring to the USA regime?

That's true. For more specific things i'd probably also rather name the actual persons behind it.

My view is the opposite, I think even if the Pope was the head of the "Americans in the White House" and Mother Teresa was the spokesman to the "Americans in the White House", we would hear the same rhetoric, propaganda and lies. They would just follow the script like the current "Americans in the White House" are doing.

The central point here is specific. Lies and propaganda are not specific. Basically any government employs those in regards to this or that topic at such and such extend. Hell, any (somewhat successful) politician does. As far as i'm concerned that's generic "government" activity.

By the way, it's not really my business but:

Sounds like @nocloud has a duplicate account!

As much as i'm amused by him getting a taste of his own debating style i'd strongly advise against it. Unless you have very hard proof for such an assumption it just comes across as something between cheap and crazy.

No, I counter-propaganda on that thread.

In the end counter-propaganda is still very much also just propaganda. I'm not sure if i'm misreading the statement (there's quite some difference between countering propaganda and counter-propaganda) but if the meaning implied by the hyphen is actually intentional i'd again very much advise against it.

• xvpsxvps Member

@asterisk14 said:
    In the country mentioned in the article below (Britain regime) and they did it to a journalist:

https://thegrayzone.com/2023/05/30/journalist-kit-klarenberg-british-police-interrogated-grayzone/

Here we go again.

It's a little funny that this journalist who has worked for RT and is branding himself as an investigative journalist exploring the role of intelligence services in shaping politics and perceptions has never written anything negative about Russia on his website.

Trustworthy guy. :D

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@asterisk14 said:

@angstrom said:

@asterisk14 said:

@angstrom said:

@asterisk14 , you're aware that the Russians in the Kremlin also wanted a backdoor to Telegram and even banned Telegram for a while (for a couple of years?) when they didn't get what they wanted, right?

Why is it ridiculous?

Well, not that i really care all that much but it's kind of a strange way for saying "Russian government", isn't it?

Not strange, just ridiculous. I very much doubt he writes "Americans in the White House" when referring to USA govt.

Well, he gave his reasons and from his last post stating to use the term "government" simply for brevity reasons i deduct that there's an intention to more or less evenly apply those. Not really my personal take on the subject but i don't see anything outrageous about it either.

I find it amusing that his best response to me is find "Russians in the Kremlin" so objectionable. At this point, metaphorically, he's already on the ground, not managing to get back up

• @totally_not_banned said:

@asterisk14 said:

@angstrom said:

@asterisk14 said:

@angstrom said:

Why is it ridiculous?

Well, he gave his reasons and from his last post stating to use the term "government" simply for brevity reasons i deduct that there's an intention to more or less evenly apply those.

From the language/rhetoric I am less sure

@angstrom said:

So you write the "Americans in the White House" or not when referring to the USA regime?

That's true. For more specific things i'd probably also rather name the actual persons behind it.

My view is the opposite, I think even if the Pope was the head of the "Americans in the White House" and Mother Teresa was the spokesman to the "Americans in the White House", we would hear the same rhetoric, propaganda and lies. They would just follow the script like the current "Americans in the White House" are doing.

The central point here is specific. Lies and propaganda are not specific. Basically any government employs those in regards to this or that topic at such and such extend. Hell, any (somewhat successful) politician does. As far as i'm concerned that's generic "government" activity.

True, but this is why I don't personalise it/name the actual person because it is not personal so saying for example "Barak Obama illegally bombed Libya" is moot as if Hillary Clinton/Bolton/McCain/Pope/.. had been in that position they would have been told to do the same. So when they say "so and so is evil and was a bad President" it's a waste of time because it provides an excuse to the regime, and it is the REGIME that is evil. Everyone thought with Obama being black/African whatever that he would be different but he expanded USA illegal forever wars from 2 to 7, kept Guantanamo open, torture continued, blacks actually got poorer and he deported more Mexicans than the "President" before him, so basically carried on the same policies of the regime, the color change made no difference. It's a duopoly/deep state.

By the way, it's not really my business but:

As much as i'm amused by him getting a taste of his own debating style i'd strongly advise against it. Unless you have very hard proof for such an assumption it just comes across as something between cheap and crazy.

I'm Just breaking some testicles.

In the end counter-propaganda is still very much also just propaganda. I'm not sure if i'm misreading the statement (there's quite some difference between countering propaganda and counter-propaganda) but if the meaning implied by the hyphen is actually intentional i'd again very much advise against it.

I meant countering-propaganda in that other thread. My English not so good. I left for long time because that thread is a waste of time, but I came back to see if any change in minds but still same people writing same boring delusional unhinged essays ad nauseum.

• @angstrom said:
    and then be puzzled why it's not on the front page of every news outlet across the world

Well, it happened in Russia (aka a place most western mainstream media hasn't cared about a whole lot for the longest time) and then these kind of news don't really tend to get a whole lot of airtime in general.

How many reports have there been about the EU's "Security through encryption and security despite encryption" resolution (basically the EU's stab at mandating backdoors for any E2E encrypted service) or it's ongoing realization? Where was any kind of public debate on the EU's "Digital Services Act" and it's wide reaching impact in regards to freedom of the press and freedom of information?

Maybe i'm just looking in the wrong places but i have the feeling there just isn't much of anything on such topics.

• @xvps said:

@asterisk14 said:
    In the country mentioned in the article below (Britain regime) and they did it to a journalist:

https://thegrayzone.com/2023/05/30/journalist-kit-klarenberg-british-police-interrogated-grayzone/

Here we go again.

It's a little funny that this journalist who has worked for RT and is branding himself as an investigative journalist exploring the role of intelligence services in shaping politics and perceptions has never written anything negative about Russia on his website.

Trustworthy guy. :D

So he didn't get digitally strip searched and told that it is offense to refuse to answer questions (no right to silence/self incrimination), it is an offense to give false answers to questions, and they didn't imaged his laptop, phone, and asked him to give his passwords.

I'm very sure that if he wasn't exposing the security state and "exploring the role of intelligence services in shaping politics and perceptions" he would have not had this experience and he is not the first. Guardian newspaper was forced to destroy Snowden leaks containing hard drives with hammers with MI5 agents present to make sure they did it. The regimes only target people exposing THEIR lies, and NOT the ones propagating their lies.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/20/nsa-snowden-files-drives-destroyed-london

On Saturday 20 July, in a deserted basement of the Guardian's King's Cross offices, a senior editor and a Guardian computer expert used angle grinders and other tools to pulverise the hard drives and memory chips on which the encrypted files had been stored.

As they worked they were watched by technicians from Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ) who took notes and photographs

• edited April 17

@asterisk14 said:

@angstrom said:

True, but this is why I don't personalise it/name the actual person because it is not personal so saying for example "Barak Obama illegally bombed Libya" is moot as if Hillary Clinton/Bolton/McCain/Pope/.. had been in that position they would have been told to do the same. So when they say "so and so is evil and was a bad President" it's a waste of time because it provides an excuse to the regime, and it is the REGIME that is evil. Everyone thought with Obama being black/African whatever that he would be different but he expanded USA illegal forever wars from 2 to 7, kept Guantanamo open, torture continued, blacks actually got poorer and he deported more Mexicans than the "President" before him, so basically carried on the same policies of the regime, the color change made no difference. It's a duopoly/deep state.

Well, i basically agreed with you anyways. Deception in general is something i view as generic to governments (or really politics in general), so it isn't specific and therefore i usually don't see a point in attaching names either (unless there's something about it that makes it exceptional for some other reason). I'm sorry if that didn't come across clearly.

I meant countering-propaganda in that other thread. My English not so good. I left for long time because that thread is a waste of time, but I came back to see if any change in minds but still same people writing same boring delusional unhinged essays ad nauseum.

I see. Yeah, that little difference actually has a huge impact and i also very much know what you mean in regards to that thread.

@angstrom said:
    and then be puzzled why it's not on the front page of every news outlet across the world

Well, it happened in Russia (aka a place most western mainstream media hasn't cared about a whole lot for the longest time) and then these kind of news don't really tend to get a whole lot of airtime in general.

Strictly speaking, Durov said that it happened on a visit of his to the US in 2016. (If you mean the alleged FBI encounter)

But I see your point :)

How many reports have there been about the EU's "Security through encryption and security despite encryption" resolution (basically the EU's stab at mandating backdoors for any E2E encrypted service) or it's ongoing realization? Where was any kind of public debate on the EU's "Digital Services Act" and it's wide reaching impact in regards to freedom of the press and freedom of information?

Such topics are often perceived as obscure or nerdy/geeky, which is unfortunate

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited April 17

@angstrom said:
    I find it amusing that his best response to me is find "Russians in the Kremlin" so objectionable. At this point, metaphorically, he's already on the ground, not managing to get back up

Because "Russians in the Kremlin" is a ridiculous language/phrase! No normal person uses such phrase. The only time I hear similar is from rabid Russophobes or propagandists.

edited April 17

@angstrom said:

Such topics are often perceived as obscure or nerdy/geeky, which is unfortunate

Except when it's an adversary (in your language "Russians in the Kremlin" or "CCP"), then gets quite a bit of airtime. There's been a massive clampdown on right to protest in Germany, France and UK over the genocide in Gaza but very little coverage in the mainstream press - Yanis Varoufakis's meeting was shut down by German police by force a few days ago. If same was being done by "Russians in the Kremlin" or "CCP", we would hear "Putin has launched a brutal crackdown against protesters using his FSB henchmen" non-stop on state TV across the Civilized Club of Nations (TM)

• edited April 17

@angstrom said:

@angstrom said:

Strictly speaking, Durov said that it happened on a visit of his to the US in 2016. (If you mean the alleged FBI encounter)

To be perfectly honest, i didn't read the article and just had a brain fart. I mentally mixed the situation up with when Telegram got ordered to backdoor their encryption by the Russian administration, while in reality the only thing Russian about the FBI incident would have been Durov (at least i think he's Russian?), which is kind of irrelevant though.

@asterisk14 said:

@angstrom said:

Because "Russians in the Kremlin" is a ridiculous language/phrase! No normal person uses such phrase. The only time I hear similar is from rabid Russophobes or propagandists.

If this is your best response (and apparently, it is), then I'm afraid that you lost this round. Better luck next time. (But be careful about who you insinuate is a Russophobe, okay?)

Does anyone doubt that there are Russians in the Kremlin/in power who make a variety of decisions that influence the lives of ordinary Russians?

edited April 17

@angstrom said:

@asterisk14 said:

@angstrom said:

If this is your best response (and apparently, it is), then I'm afraid that you lost this round. Better luck next time.

Nice try!

(But be careful about who you insinuate is a Russophobe, okay?)

I didn't insinuate you are Russophobe. You are inferring which is poor and making yourself the victim. I said it's similar to language from Russophobes. Please read better.

Does anyone doubt that there are Russians in the Kremlin/in power who make a variety of decisions that influence the lives of ordinary Russians?

But no normal person refer to them as "Russians in the Kremlin" as it is a ridiculous language/phrase to say. Only John Bolton/McCain types would say something like this and they are Russophobes or propagandists and is well known.

Please use you energy to moderate better and in a less biased way, that would be a more valuable use of you time and a benefit for us forum users.

• I am confused about your argument. Are there devastating exploits or backdoors in open source software sometimes? Yes obviously. Can open-source software be used in such a way under the right circumstances to exploit and backdoor something else if modified? Yes obviously. But so what? This seems like a similar argument that someone died once because of some freak accident wearing a helmet on a bike and therefore no one should ever wear a helmet on a bike because wearing a helmet is dangerous. Open-source software is still way safer than using closed-source software and I doubt that there exists wide massive exploits or exploits in open-source software such that it compromises their security entirely. You can see court orders where the US gov is unable to get messages from signal, data from Tor, decrypt a computer, etc. Besides with the Snowden leaks we would have likely seen evidence that there exists widespread security issues in open source software but we didn't. I don't believe there is a wide-ranging conspiracy theory where western governments like the US are able to widely control the security of open source software. I mean they certainly try but open source software is still the most private and secure choice.

• nocloudnocloud Member

@asterisk14 said:

Hey aren't you the guy that clicks phishing links? giving your IP address away, you should probably be more careful.

If you need help i can probably find you a youtube video on how to use a computer safely. Remember to rubber up, before clicking (that's when you push down a mouse button when the cursor is over the screen item you want to learn more about) check the link destination.

I'm sure you'll get the hang of it eventually. But let me know if you need a video guide or a mouse cheatsheet.

Good luck!

@asterisk14 said:

@angstrom said:

@asterisk14 said:

@angstrom said:

If this is your best response (and apparently, it is), then I'm afraid that you lost this round. Better luck next time.

Nice try!

I didn't insinuate you are Russophobe. You are inferring which is poor and making yourself the victim. I said it's similar to language from Russophobes. Please read better.

But no normal person refer to them as "Russians in the Kremlin" as it is a ridiculous language/phrase to say. Only John Bolton/McCain types would say something like this and they are Russophobes or propagandists and is well known.

Please use you energy to moderate better and in a less biased way, that would be a more valuable use of you time and a benefit for us forum users.

Unfortunately, the best that I can say to you is better luck next time. I rest my case

(If you get a chance and you're curious, try to understand what an insinuation is. Bringing up "Russophobe" here made no sense. No one here was talking about Bolton or McCain.)

• @asterisk14 said:

@angstrom said:

@asterisk14 said:

@angstrom said:

Why is it ridiculous?

Because it sounds like something John Bolton/McCain/John Kirby (paid liar) would say speaking from the podium in the "Americans in the White House" room before declaring war on the Russians in the Kremlin. It is rediculous language. Do you write their press briefings?

Yes, we discuss John Bolton/McCain above. Sorry you wrong again.

@angstrom said
    You started this thread with the insinuation that the Americans (in the White House/in power) are somehow exceptional/special in having wanted to get a backdoor to Telegram. My point is that the Americans (in the White House/in power) aren't exceptional/special in this respect

Here you use the word insinuation (a verb of insinuate)

@angstrom said:

Here you use the word insinuate.

@angstrom said: Unfortunately, the best that I can say to you is better luck next time. I rest my case

(If you get a chance and you're curious, try to understand what an insinuation is. Bringing up "Russophobe" here made no sense. No one here was talking about Bolton or McCain.)

Insinuation, insinuate, learn some new words please. You inferred something and played victim. I am sorry for hurt your feelings, but facts not care about feelings.

I think you should use you energy to moderate better and in a less biased way, that would be a more valuable use of you time and a benefit for us forum users.

Thank you for playing.

edited April 17

@BruhGamer12 said:
    I am confused about your argument. Are there devastating exploits or backdoors in open source software sometimes? Yes obviously. Can open-source software be used in such a way under the right circumstances to exploit and backdoor something else if modified? Yes obviously. But so what?

It's different if a programmer badly coded software and accidentally left code that could be exploited.

Here USA govt tries to get some engineer to collaborate in introducing a back doors/exploits using open source software that (probably they) have intentionally created and put a back door in. So assume they have done this to ALL open source software and have got other closed software authors to collaborate in spying on citizens (maybe McAfee said no and was suicided I don't know). This a whole different level with a STATE actor involved and means you can't trust open source anymore either, may be even less so than closed source.

And lets remember that Intel chips contain MINIX operating system that runs at a lower level than the OS we install so ALL our (Intel) machines have a potential backdoor that USA govt can exploit even if we can somehow guarantee that all software is free of backdoor/exploits.

@asterisk14 said:

@asterisk14 said:

@angstrom said:

@asterisk14 said:

@angstrom said:

Why is it ridiculous?

Because it sounds like something John Bolton/McCain/John Kirby (paid liar) would say speaking from the podium in the "Americans in the White House" room before declaring war on the Russians in the Kremlin. It is rediculous language. Do you write their press briefings?

How am I wrong?

No one else here was talking about Bolton or McCain. You brought them up. As far as we know (and you've presented no evidence to the contrary), neither Bolton nor McCain had anything to do with Telegram. These two persons are completely irrelevant to the topic of this thread

It was just a desperate (and failed) attempt on your part to introduce "Russophobia" into this thread (when you had nothing else to say)

• xaocxaoc Member

@asterisk14 said:

@angstrom said:

The correct phrase is "ruzzian(вырусь) terrorists in the kremlin".

Thanked by 2nocloud 2oldheroes
  • kendidkendid Veteran

@angstrom said: It was just a desperate (and failed) attempt on your part to introduce "Russophobia" into this thread (when you had nothing else to say)

I'm not sure what the issue is -- Russophobia is a real legit thing today. Invading neighbors, raping, stealing children, sending hundreds of missiles and drones into civilian structures and schools, annexing lands. I have absolutely no problem with people being Russophobic. When I was in Dnipro last week, Russia sent two cruise missiles into a high school and preschool downtown. Only teachers were injured, as students raced to the bomb shelters upon the alert, but there is good reason for people to be Russophobic.

Thanked by 1MGarbis
  • @angstrom said:

@asterisk14 said:

@asterisk14 said:

@angstrom said:

@asterisk14 said:

@angstrom said:

Why is it ridiculous?

How am I wrong?

No one else here was talking about Bolton or McCain. You brought them up. As far as we know (and you've presented no evidence to the contrary), neither Bolton nor McCain had anything to do with Telegram. These two persons are completely irrelevant to the topic of this thread

It was just a desperate (and failed) attempt on your part to introduce "Russophobia" into this thread (when you had nothing else to say)

OK. I'll be the bigger man and say I am sorry for hurt your feelings. Feel better?

I think you should use you energies to moderate better and in less biased way, that would be more valuable use of you time and a benefit for us forum users.

Thank you for playing.

Any chance you can remove my warning which Arkas give me in unfair/biased manner?

• @xaoc said:

@asterisk14 said:

@angstrom said:

The correct phrase is "ruzzian(вырусь) terrorists in the kremlin".

@kendid said:

@angstrom said: It was just a desperate (and failed) attempt on your part to introduce "Russophobia" into this thread (when you had nothing else to say)

I'm not sure what the issue is -- Russophobia is a real legit thing today. Invading neighbors, raping, stealing children, sending hundreds of missiles and drones into civilian structures and schools, annexing lands. I have absolutely no problem with people being Russophobic. When I was in Dnipro last week, Russia sent two cruise missiles into a high school and preschool downtown. Only teachers were injured, as students raced to the bomb shelters upon the alert, but there is good reason for people to be Russophobic.

Oh, boy! Here we go.

@kendid said:

Just to be clear, I was talking about this thread, which is about Telegram, and in particular, about my direct interaction with @asterisk14 in this thread, my point being that neither Bolton nor McCain had anything to do with Telegram, so his mentioning them in this thread as a way to evoke "Russophobia" was uncalled for (and a sign of desperation that he had nothing else to say)

(It's another question whether the Russians in the Kremlin may have done things that might understandably increase Russophobic sentiments among non-Russians. This is conceivable)

@asterisk14 said:

@angstrom said:

@asterisk14 said:

@asterisk14 said:

@angstrom said:

@asterisk14 said:

@angstrom said:

Why is it ridiculous?

How am I wrong?

OK. I'll be the bigger man and say I am sorry for hurt your feelings. Feel better?

But you didn't hurt my feelings, so no need to apologize for this!

That said, I will hold you responsible for trying desperately to introduce "Russophobia" into this thread

• nocloudnocloud Member

@disasterisk14
    we have a thread for your Russian propaganda, you should probably keep it isolated there. No one wants to hear your conspiracies.

• emghemgh Member

Why is there now two threads about Russian politics?

One was already too much, get out of my LET home page ffs

• emghemgh Member
    edited April 17

It should be against the rules to try and make the forum to be about something its not

Edit: Just not worth it

• @angstrom said:

@kendid said:

Just to be clear, I was talking about this thread, which is about Telegram, and in particular, about my direct interaction with @asterisk14 in this thread, my point being that neither Bolton nor McCain had anything to do with Telegram, so his mentioning them in this thread as a way to evoke "Russophobia" was uncalled for (and a sign of desperation that he had nothing else to say)

You protest too much....LOL.

edited April 17

@emgh said:
    Why is there now two threads about Russian politics?

One was already too much, get out of my LET home page ffs

Get your facts straight. I didn't bring Russia into this thread AT ALL. The first mention of Russia/"Russians in the Kremlin" is by ....

@angstrom said:

Then @JosephF replied to @angstrom quoting the above and then @angstrom mentioned Russia again in his next reply!

Get your facts right before hurling false accusations please.

This discussion has been closed.