Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who are the current goto guys for cheap strorage, abount 1TB - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Who are the current goto guys for cheap strorage, abount 1TB

13»

Comments

• @metadaddy said:

So, every Storage Pod is part of a vault, and data from Computer Backup and B2 is stored side-by-side in the same cloud storage infrastructure.

Thanks for the contribution. It's good to see you participating here.

I've always been a bit concerned about how B2 can be good for what I'd consider two very different use cases:

1. Performant, S3-compatible object storage for serving static content on the public Internet
    2. Archival/bulk/backup storage for rarely accessed data (e.g., as a backend for commercial backup software)

As I mentioned earlier in this topic, I've been looking at offloading the hosting of several TB of static images for an image-heavy site to an object storage provider, likely sitting behind Cloudflare. Due to Cloudflare caching, I'm sure hot data would perform pretty well, but I'm unsure how well the "colder" images would load.

Would Backblaze B2 be worthy of consideration for such a project, where file access times really matter?

• @aj_potc said:

@metadaddy said:

So, every Storage Pod is part of a vault, and data from Computer Backup and B2 is stored side-by-side in the same cloud storage infrastructure.

Thanks for the contribution. It's good to see you participating here.

I've always been a bit concerned about how B2 can be good for what I'd consider two very different use cases:

1. Performant, S3-compatible object storage for serving static content on the public Internet
    2. Archival/bulk/backup storage for rarely accessed data (e.g., as a backend for commercial backup software)

As I mentioned earlier in this topic, I've been looking at offloading the hosting of several TB of static images for an image-heavy site to an object storage provider, likely sitting behind Cloudflare. Due to Cloudflare caching, I'm sure hot data would perform pretty well, but I'm unsure how well the "colder" images would load.

Would Backblaze B2 be worthy of consideration for such a project, where file access times really matter?

It's hard for me to say without having an idea of your requirements for TTFB and throughput, not to mention the geographic distribution of your users in relation to the Backblaze data center(s).

The best thing to do is to try it out. You can create a Backblaze account and store up to 10 GB of data free of charge.

[Note that we recently instituted a nominal $1 charge when customers with no purchase history create a public bucket. This is to help combat bad actors using that free 10 GB to host malware in public buckets.]

If you want to run a quick test now, without creating an account, here are some links to files in one of my public buckets located at our Phoenix, AZ data center:

Using curl -o /dev/null -w "Connect: %{time_connect} TTFB: %{time_starttransfer} Total time: %{time_total} \n" $URL from my home in San Jose, I see TTFB between 0.5 and 1.0 seconds for the three files, and throughput of about 200kB/s for the video file. The other two files download too quickly to provide a meaningful throughput result.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • RadWebHostingRadWebHosting Member, Host Rep

backblaze or purchase a disk from amazon

• hapkidohapkido Member
    edited February 15

@metadaddy said:

@JasonM said:
    backblaze b2
    I've even tried cloudflare storage.
    but love b2.

[Full disclosure - I'm Chief Technical Evangelist at Backblaze]

Thanks for the love! I'm curious - what makes B2 a better fit for you than Cloudflare R2. Price? Features?

Nice! Welcome!

Wonder if Backblaze has a plan for Asia region? :#

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member

@metadaddy Welcome! Nice to see a company that lots of of use be represented here.

• vsys_hostvsys_host Member, Patron Provider

We offer Dedicated Storage servers with large storage up to 100TB.
    Storage-Price Ratios Starting from $6 per TB. 2U Data Storage Dedicated Servers with Up to 10 Swappable Drives.

Also, we have Dedicated Servers with SSD Storage.
    Excellent Value vs. Price Ratios for Storage Capacity Starting from Only $19 per TB

Here are some server plans with discounted prices:

CPU: E5-2620V3 (6×2.4Ghz)
    RAM: 32GB DDR4
    STORAGE: 2×10Tb HDD
    DRIVE FOR OS: 250GB SSD
    PORT: 1 Gbps
    BANDWIDTH: 1Gbps Unlimited
    IPV4/IPV6: /32 /64
    ROOT ACCESS: SSH, Panel
    FREE SETUP: ✓
    DEPLOYMENT TIME: <48H
    COST: $249 $129 / month

CPU: E5-2620V3 (6×2.4Ghz)
    RAM: 64GB DDR4
    STORAGE: 4×10Tb HDD
    PORT: 10 Gbps
    COST: $349 $227 / month

CPU: E5-2670V3 (12×2.3Ghz)
    RAM: 128GB DDR4
    STORAGE: 6×10Tb HDD
    COST: $499 $325 / month

STORAGE: 10×10Tb HDD
    COST: $599 $390 / month

STORAGE: 8TB SSD (4x2TB)
    COST: $375 $244 / month

STORAGE: 16TB SSD (4x4TB OR 8x2TB)
    COST: $475 $309 / month

STORAGE: 20TB SSD (10x2TB)
    COST: $575 $374 / month

STORAGE: 40TB SSD (10x4TB OR 20x2TB)
    COST: $775 $504 / month

CPU: 2x E5-2670V3 (24×2.3Ghz)
    STORAGE: 60TB SSD (15x4TB)
    COST: $875 $569 / month

CPU: 2x E5-2670V3 (24×2.3Ghz)
    STORAGE: 80TB SSD (20x4TB)
    DEPLOYMENT TIME: <72H
    COST: $1 075 $699 / month

Write to us via email [email protected] or live chat and specify in the message that you are from Lowendtalk to get servers at a discount.

• OK. So now I've got a StorageBox from Hetzner.

Whats next? Kopia, restic, rclone, S3 via Minio?

I need something that allows me to create some kind of backup sets, allocate space for them, set a backup schedule and monitor the backups to see if they are okay.

• @k9banger said:
    OK. So now I've got a StorageBox from Hetzner.

I need something that allows me to create some kind of backup sets, allocate space for them, set a backup schedule and monitor the backups to see if they are okay.

Order a VPS at Hetzner cloud, mount the storage box to it and you have S3 with MinIO.
    Transfer within Hetzners own network is not metered.

• @lowendtalkxdax said:

@k9banger said:
    OK. So now I've got a StorageBox from Hetzner.

Order a VPS at Hetzner cloud, mount the storage box to it and you have S3 with MinIO.
    Transfer within Hetzners own network is not metered.

Does this include the simultaneous connections to the StorageBox? They all seem to have a limit of 10 connections.

• @k9banger said:
    Does this include the simultaneous connections to the StorageBox? They all seem to have a limit of 10 connections.

The VPS counts as one connection.

• lukast__lukast__ Member
    edited February 16

Edit: accidentally pressed the Post comment button (just wanted to scroll, that is the disadvantage of a touchscreen)
    But I can recommend layer7, 1TB hdd + 80GB ssd + 8GB ram + 2 cores are about $4.5/month with an annual contract.

• @lukast__ said:
    Edit: accidentally pressed the Post comment button (just wanted to scroll, that is the disadvantage of a touchscreen)
    But I can recommend layer7, 1TB hdd + 80GB ssd + 8GB ram + 2 cores are about $4.5/month with an annual contract.

Does Layer7 have an account or advertise here?

• @k9banger said:

@lukast__ said:

@layer7

• layer7layer7 Member, Host Rep, LIR
    edited February 17

@k9banger said:

@lukast__ said:

Hi,

yes we do.

thx @lukast__ and @tra10000 for mentioning!

You can just visit our website https://layer7.net and check out the cloud server offers.

Or, if you let me know what you are searching, i could make also an offer here for you.

• oplinkoplink Member, Patron Provider

We have some large VDS servers w/ SSD storage https://my.oplink.net/store/vds/vds-intel-xeon-e3-1270-v3-ssd2

We also have some NVME vps plans. You can upgrade any plan to get 1TB NVME GEN4 PCIE in the cart for pretty low cost. https://oplink.net/vps/

• @layer7 said: Hi,

yes we do.

thx @lukast__ and @tra10000 for mentioning!

You can just visit our website https://layer7.net and check out the cloud server offers.

Or, if you let me know what you are searching, i could make also an offer here for you.

Are your terabytes TiB or Tb?

• @k9banger said: Are your terabytes TiB or Tb?

I have a server there, just checked it:

NAME          SIZE TYPE
    vda    85899345920 disk
    vdb  1099511627776 disk

1099511627776=2^40=1 TiB, so it are TiBs.

Thanked by 1k9banger