Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who are the current goto guys for cheap strorage, abount 1TB
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Comments

• Do you specifically want an established provider that's been in business longer than a newer player?

• emghemgh Member
    edited February 9

HostHatch & Backblaze

I much prefer Backblaze

Not because I dislike HostHatch, not at all

It’s just annoying having to manage a VPS, and to me it seems the way most S3 services store data is a lot safer compared to some big RAID6 array

Edit: big + that you also never have to upgrade or downgrade, it’s pay as you go for real.

Thanked by 2bgerard k9banger
  • @emgh said:
    HostHatch & Backblaze

Oh and for object storage I can also recommend cloudflare R2 since their egress are practically free. I've been using it for over a year for my media streaming purposes.

• emghemgh Member
    edited February 9

@listerine90 said:

@emgh said:
    HostHatch & Backblaze

Oh and for object storage I can also recommend cloudflare R2 since their egress are practically free. I've been using it for over a year for my media streaming purposes.

Yesh, and their automation tools are a pleasure to deal with, and it can be tightly integrated with DNS, workers, authentification, etc.

Did some testing on it and it was just great.

But since he asked for cheap storage without mentioning bandwidth pricing, I think Backblaze takes the cake.

• backblaze b2
    I've even tried cloudflare storage.
    but love b2.

• emghemgh Member

I also want to mention the Cloudflare support is awesome over @ Discord.

Obviously you won’t get account-related help, but they have so many people that really care about the product.

I saw some weird usage, and they helped me; obviously, it was my fault at the end.

I also randomly interacted with some Cloudflare dev on Twitter (not x) and since everytime I discover bugs, I send them to him (quite a lot at this point) and he always thanks me and says he’ll notify the affected team, and to me it seems like it’s always quickly resolved afterwards.

It’s like the exact opposite of OVH.

Thanked by 3JasonM aj_potc mrTom
  • @k9banger said:

€15/yr VAT incl.

• Oplink, crunchbits, advinservers

• crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@emgh said:
    HostHatch & Backblaze

I much prefer Backblaze

It’s just annoying having to manage a VPS, and to me it seems the way most S3 services store data is a lot safer compared to some big RAID6 array

Edit: big + that you also never have to upgrade or downgrade, it’s pay as you go for real.

I thought Backblaze is just a (pretty big) RAID6 array? I don't know all of their products so that might not be applicable anymore, but it's either that or some sort of erasure-coded ceph-style implementation. Only so many ways to store/replicate data.

S3-style is great, just depends what @k9banger wants. Some people want the added flexibility/utility of a VPS attached and some simply want the simplest and most direct approach to storage only.

• +1 for Backblaze B2, it's just easy

• tjntjn Member

Another +1 for B2

• AXYZEAXYZE Member

@crunchbits said:

@emgh said:
    HostHatch & Backblaze

I much prefer Backblaze

I thought Backblaze is just a (pretty big) RAID6 array? I don't know all of their products so that might not be applicable anymore, but it's either that or some sort of erasure-coded ceph-style implementation. Only so many ways to store/replicate data.

S3-style is great, just depends what @k9banger wants. Some people want the added flexibility/utility of a VPS attached and some simply want the simplest and most direct approach to storage only.

Backblaze is using erasure coding with data distribution across 20 nodes, each in another cabinet. 17 data, 3 parity.
    Its way above RAID-6 on single node in terms of durability.

Thanked by 2emgh fart
  • Romanian basements with 18TB disks and fast internet

• @JosephF said:
    Do you specifically want an established provider that's been in business longer than a newer player?

New players, which I assume are new LET providers are fine so long as they are reliable.

• crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host
    edited February 9

@AXYZE said:
    Backblaze is using erasure coding with data distribution across 20 nodes, each in another cabinet. 17 data, 3 parity.
    Its way above RAID-6 on single node in terms of durability.

The reason I said I wasn't sure what their products are is because they seem to do both. It appears they are 2 different products (Storage Pod vs Vault Pod) but I don't follow them too closely, and it looks like Storage Pods are deprecated/on hiatus and Vault Pods = B2? My assumption was that the cloud storage is an erasure coded backend, especially at their scale.

• 1TB

Backblaze B2 (6usd, gotten expensive, reliable, s3 compatible, egress cost extra if you download too much)

iDrive E2 (2.5usd, better read some reviews before buying, s3 compatible)

Hetzner Storage Box (3.5usd, no s3 natively, need modification for it to work, the higher storage options are really cheap, servers only in Europe however)

• @emgh said:
    HostHatch & Backblaze

I much prefer Backblaze

Do the tools like restic and kopia work well with services like Backblaze and Cloudflare?

• @c1vhosting said:

@k9banger said:

€15/yr VAT incl.

Is this VPS based where you install your own storage backend or more like Hetzner storage box or S3?

• eriseris Member

Restic works with Backblaz + Cloudflare if you use it with RClone

Thanked by 2k9banger emgh
  • @k9banger said:

@c1vhosting said:

@k9banger said:

€15/yr VAT incl.

Is this VPS based where you install your own storage backend or more like Hetzner storage box or S3?

I’ll provide you a VPS.
    Or even like NFS if that works for you :)

• @emgh said:
    HostHatch & Backblaze

I much prefer Backblaze

Doesn't Backblaze require an minimum amount of money per month?

• emghemgh Member

@COLBYLICIOUS said:

@emgh said:
    HostHatch & Backblaze

I much prefer Backblaze

Doesn't Backblaze require an minimum amount of money per month?

I don’t think so, haven’t noticed anything like that. Somone please correct me if I’m wrong.

• emghemgh Member

If I recall correctly, first 10 GB is also free.

• @emgh said:

Worth backblaze?

• emghemgh Member

@JosephF said:

@emgh said:

Worth backblaze?

What do you mean? I’m tired😆

• @emgh said:

@JosephF said:

@emgh said:

Worth backblaze?

Sorry, 10gb free with Backblaze?

• My current b2 bill is like $1.99/mo, previously it has been pennies, so yeah, there's no minimum. Most of that cost is transactions for me

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member

@JosephF said:

@emgh said:

@JosephF said:

@emgh said:

Worth backblaze?

Sorry, 10gb free with Backblaze?

Yeah, I think so

Storage
    $6/TB/Month
    Data stored with Backblaze is calculated hourly, with no minimum retention requirement, and billed monthly. The first 10GB of storage is free.

https://www.backblaze.com/cloud-storage/pricing-v1

Thanked by 1JosephF